1UP's review of the Orange Box...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghardon
Member since 2003 • 310 Posts

It's illegible.

I don't mean that the letters are smudged or the print is too small. I mean that the writing is so bad that it might as well be impossible to make out the lettering.

Here's their review of TF2, for example:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3163581&sec=REVIEWS

Look at that first paragraph. Just look at it. Go and look at the second paragraph of the Portal review, too. No really, go do it - I'll wait here.

Done reading? Do you see what I mean? It's as though this man is trying to compress an entire essay into each one of his sentences. I don't know who this guy's editor is, but he needs to be fired.

I saw a novelty T-shirt once baring the phrase "Eschew Superfluous Obfuscation". It's a message I think Shawn Elliott should take to heart.

It's a shame, though; under all that abysmally-bad writing is a decent analysis of some of the best games ever released.

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
It would seem he was trying to be clever with his choice of words but came off more like a deranged lunatic.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

I was entirely not prepared for that. That is amazing.

It was how I felt listening to Miles Davis modal jazz experiments the first 10-20 times though, eventually they kicked in.

I think Shawn has come across a new way of writing that maybe we're all just too primative to get. Either that or he's trying to get fired.

f15srcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 f15srcool
Member since 2005 • 2294 Posts
God almighty! What in loki's name has Mr. Elliott DONE??
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
My lord.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
I can honestly say I have no idea what to think of that. I kind of felt like I was reading a review and every 3rd word had been removed.
madterps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 madterps
Member since 2003 • 3152 Posts

Man, that is awful. How did these people get their jobs? I'm pretty sure an 8th grader can write better than this. But it's 1up, this is not surprising considering how this guyjust copiedthe Tekken 5 review from the booklet. I didn't expect much from Shawn Elliot since he's a total moron.

fepepinar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fepepinar
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts
What's wrong with it, actually?
Freshenizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Freshenizer
Member since 2004 • 381 Posts
Is this some kind of code? Quick, someone decipher this!
Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghardon

What's wrong with it, actually? fepepinar

It's about the worst piece of writing that I have ever seen published professionally.

I'm by no means a good writer, but even as someone who has only taken one English composition class, I had to try very hard not to throw up in my mouth.

He's trying to fit about fifteen allusions to other games or parts of games in every sentence, to the point where he ends up with run-ons that have lost all their meaning by the end. He also seems to be going out of his way to pack in "clever" language tricks like alliteration:

"The Aperture gadget, dazzlingly different, distracts all attention..."

and because he's really stretching to fit these things in, the meaning of the sentence is less clear than it should be.

The whole thing is a convoluted mess and feels like something an English professor would write up as an example of what not to do.

Irogon767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Irogon767
Member since 2005 • 334 Posts
My eyes.... They burn!
Chrono66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chrono66
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts
Wow that was terrible.
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Lmao. 1Up, please give me this guys paycheck and I could write something better with my eyes closed.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
That is the worst writing in a popular magaizine or e-zine I have ever read.
KreepLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KreepLX
Member since 2004 • 313 Posts
This has to be some of the worst writing I have ever seen, with the exception of 12 year old kids. Shawn must have a pretty pricey cocain habit to scatter brain the article this much.
Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts
Wow. Perhaps Shawn should just stick to Podcasts and griefing....
fepepinar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fepepinar

[QUOTE="fepepinar"]What's wrong with it, actually? Ghardon

It's about the worst piece of writing that I have ever seen published professionally.

I'm by no means a good writer, but even as someone who has only taken one English composition class, I had to try very hard not to throw up in my mouth.

He's trying to fit about fifteen allusions to other games or parts of games in every sentence, to the point where he ends up with run-ons that have lost all their meaning by the end. He also seems to be going out of his way to pack in "clever" language tricks like alliteration:

and because he's really stretching to fit these things in, the meaning of the sentence is less clear than it should be.

The whole thing is a convoluted mess and feels like something an English professor would write up as an example of what not to do.

I understood it perfectly, without a problem, in my first reading. I honestly can't see nothing wrong with it. Maybe I'm assuming he knows it's a weird way of putting things, but decided to do it anyway for witty-valor. Maybe I'm reading too much into it by assuming that he's aware of the convolutedness contained in the paragraph.

I also found it to be rather humorous and entertaining, and think most people here are commenting out of pure peer pressure and not really believe this is the worst text they have ever read in their lifes.

Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts
[QUOTE="Ghardon"]

[QUOTE="fepepinar"]What's wrong with it, actually? fepepinar

I understood it perfectly, without a problem, in my first reading. I honestly can't see nothing wrong with it. Maybe I'm assuming he knows it's a weird way of putting things, but decided to do it anyway for witty-valor. Maybe I'm reading too much into it by assuming that he's aware of the convolutedness contained in the paragraph.

I also found it to be rather humorous and entertaining, and think most people here are commenting out of pure peer pressure and not really believe this is the worst text they have ever read in their lifes.

That's the same thing that I had. He just uses some really weird ways to describe the game. But it's not the worst review ever. Quite clearly no-one here has seen Sega Kid reviews?

Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghardon
[QUOTE="fepepinar"][QUOTE="Ghardon"]

[QUOTE="fepepinar"]What's wrong with it, actually? Darth_Homer

That's the same thing that I had. He just uses some really weird ways to describe the game. But it's not the worst review ever. Quite clearly no-one here has seen Sega Kid reviews?

I wasn't saying that it was the worst thing evar, I just think it's way inexcusably bad for something that's going to be printed and sold in stores, and delivered to paying subscribers. And I stand by that statement.

I understood what he was saying too. I just think that when you're assigning the guy who's going to be reviewing one of the most-anticipated releases of this year (or arguably ever, given the HL fanbase), you ought to choose the guy who writes in the most comprehensive manner. This dude clearly does not. He also throws in references that almost none of 1UP's readers would understand. The only reason I understood them was that I was fortunate enough to have had a decent gaming rig back when Half-Life was new, about a decade ago now. Most gamers reading these things haven't been gaming that long.

As for everybody agreeing out of peer pressure, I couldn't say. But hey, I am overwhelmingly cool like that, so it's a very real possibility :P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 203762174820177760555343052357
Okay. I just read it again, and now I understand. He is trying to create a web phenomenon. This was a publicity stunt. There is no other explanation. He is trying to create an "all base are belong to us" movement -- like "more safari, less track".
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

Wow I wish game reviewers would stop harboring notions of being creative literary animals. I like to hear the author's voice come through in a piece sure, but this is just stupid. 1up has been guilty of "buddy buddy"-ing up their reviews before and personally I can't stand it, I think they have good opinions on games but damn if I rarely enjoy reading them. Not to mention their reviews are usually shorter than other outlets, no need to fill that already limited space with a bunch of superfluous and insular crap.

For some reason I feel this is all Pitchfork's fault.

Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghardon

For some reason I feel this is all Pitchfork's fault.viberooni

I do not exaggerate at all when I say that this comment is probably the best thing ever. It may become my sig.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="viberooni"]For some reason I feel this is all Pitchfork's fault.Ghardon

I do not exaggerate at all when I say that this comment is probably the best thing ever. It may become my sig.

This comment has my support as well.  I usually agree with Pitchfork, but their reviews are hard to read, let alone stomach.

fepepinar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fepepinar
Well, I think that if it was Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation saying all that things, he'd be hailed as a comedy genius. Maybe it's relative. But yeah, I understand how most people would just prefer a conservative, straightforward review of a highly anticipated game and not something which looks like Katamary Damaci transformed into a videogame review.
Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghardon

Well, I think that if it was Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation saying all that things, he'd be hailed as a comedy genius. Maybe it's relative. But yeah, I understand how most people would just prefer a conservative, straightforward review of a highly anticipated game and not something which looks like Katamary Damaci transformed into a videogame review.fepepinar

I'd agree that context makes all the difference. I can enjoy Zero Punctuation because I go into it expecting something crazily mashed together (that's what the title means, after all). The problem is that when I buy a shrink-wrapped PC gaming mag like Games For Windows, I expect something different.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Wow these proffesionals sure are something else sometimes......
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

Well, I think that if it was Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation saying all that things, he'd be hailed as a comedy genius. Maybe it's relative. But yeah, I understand how most people would just prefer a conservative, straightforward review of a highly anticipated game and not something which looks like Katamary Damaci transformed into a videogame review.fepepinar

If it was irreverent but informative (like Yahtzee) that would be fine and good. But it's also poorly written, it's trying way to hard to be different and I wonder if it ever crossed an editor's desk. And the content caters to such a small segment of the buying public that it not only goes over the head of anyone who hasn't put time into Team Fortress, it's basically useless as a review to everyone else. It's also not funny (which Yahtzee is, and gives him an excuse to stretch things for the sake of humor).

I appreciate your sig Ghardon, thanks for bringing it to my attention in the first place :)

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Alright. Enough of game site fanboyism here. I think 1up is a great site that I visit as often as Gamespot. Now to the review...

I got dizzy trying to read that. I really don't need to read reviews on a game that everyone knows will get great scores but god damn I got lost in that thing.

Basically the score says it all... ignore the writing.

Zeke129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 Zeke129
Member since 2003 • 11176 Posts
That analysis, albeit forthcoming and ripe with an abundance of factualities and brain-massaging tidbits, finds itself causing the metaphorical feces gravitating toward the fan in regards to said analysis' credibility and satisfactoriness.
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts

"Aint that a teat-less Holstein?"

:lol:

Ghardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghardon

That analysis, albeit forthcoming and ripe with an abundance of factualities and brain-massaging tidbits, finds itself causing the metaphorical feces gravitating toward the fan in regards to said analysis' credibility and satisfactoriness. Zeke129

I won't lie; I LOL'ed.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

That analysis, albeit forthcoming and ripe with an abundance of factualities and brain-massaging tidbits, finds itself causing the metaphorical feces gravitating toward the fan in regards to said analysis' credibility and satisfactoriness. Zeke129

I was going to make a post like this, but then realized that I probably don't know enough long words to do so. +1 to you.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
 That felt like reading a science journal on quantum mechanics. "...is a whole hell of a lot of time to wear one pair of sneakers. No replacement's a comfier fit, no matter how much nicer it is."

WTF?!?!?!

I have seen more comprehensible bablefish translations. I don't understanda thing the guy wrote.

dvader654
I think this particular bablefish had gastric bypass surgery :P
doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
The review does seem quite short, shallow, and poorly written.
doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
The review does seem shallow, short, and poorly written.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#38 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
I actually laughed aloud to that one. Did the editor go on vacation?
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#39 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts

WTF?!?!?!

I have seen more comprehensible bablefish translations. I don't understanda thing the guy wrote.

dvader654
Let's give this a test: The first paragraph of the IGN Orange Box review, translated to French, then back to English
October 9, 2007 - the reputation of the valve like higher realizer of line began when half life released in 1998 and was cemented in 2004 when they released the spectacular continuation. Now, they bring back this magic with the orange box. As we said in innumerable forecasts, it is one of the best businesses than we ever saw in the play, particularly for these people who have to still play to it half life 2 of the whole. With the episode one of the half life 2, half life 2, and the episode two of the half life 2, the players can take up to now the whole voyage of the half life 2 in the order. If it were the whole package, the it' D is hard to express much dissatisfaction even with the half life 2 being a play going back to three years, but the orange box also comes with two other plays: Gate and fortress 2 of team. They are completely a little different that it half life in the spirit, but offers to the top of the single experiments based and multijoueuses of puzzle which have the exquisite model and the beautiful directions of humour. All has the pin and the polish which we are enus ven to await us of the valve and nothing in the package disappoints.
I must say, that IS clearer.
--Sinister--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 --Sinister--
Member since 2006 • 3136 Posts
You sound like when Stewie was refering tothe redhead on Desperate Housewives.
00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts
Sweet god my brain hurts.
Kokihatu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kokihatu_
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts

Haha, this reply is just so right :D

Impulse1195

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Impulse1195
Member since 2005 • 467 Posts
Ugh... that is pretty awful. The people who said they understood it in the first read, have officially made me feel like a dumbs*#t. I don't pretend to be any smarter than anyone else, but regardless it just seems like bad form to write your video game review as though it were being published in some snobbish artsy publication. The general audience surrounding a video game review is by majority on the young side, and I guarantee you 90% of them don't care about how clever the author believes his wordplay to be.. like me, they just want a review. Not something they have to sit and decipher for an hour. I'm not necessarily saying to "dumb it down" but that style of writing definitely doesn't belong in the world of video game journalism.
OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts

Good Lord, man. Give it to your English professor, not your game magazine editor!

That's probably the worst kind of writing possible. It's even worse than the guys who use internet-speak constantly and can't seem to spell an entire word.

Come to think of it, why couldn't he have written his review that way? It would've been funny.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 203762174820177760555343052357
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

WTF?!?!?!

yodariquo
Let's give this a test: The first paragraph of the IGN Orange Box review, translated to French, then back to English
October 9, 2007 - the reputation of the valve like higher realizer of line began when half life released in 1998 and was cemented in 2004 when they released the spectacular continuation. Now, they bring back this magic with the orange box. As we said in innumerable forecasts, it is one of the best businesses than we ever saw in the play, particularly for these people who have to still play to it half life 2 of the whole. With the episode one of the half life 2, half life 2, and the episode two of the half life 2, the players can take up to now the whole voyage of the half life 2 in the order. If it were the whole package, the it' D is hard to express much dissatisfaction even with the half life 2 being a play going back to three years, but the orange box also comes with two other plays: Gate and fortress 2 of team. They are completely a little different that it half life in the spirit, but offers to the top of the single experiments based and multijoueuses of puzzle which have the exquisite model and the beautiful directions of humour. All has the pin and the polish which we are enus ven to await us of the valve and nothing in the package disappoints.

I must say, that IS clearer.

No joke, that is easier to read and understand.

dlind70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dlind70
Member since 2004 • 2816 Posts
I can't stand all the links and references to other games (genres even) in 1ups reviews. :roll: What if I came to that site unknowing of other games and just wanted one review. I'd have to backtrack. It's like a blog post. Not enough time in the day to write a thesis so they compile it all into one paragraph - consequently making the info worse for the reader. Gamespot RARELY ever does this and I am grateful.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
I want to kick his teeth in.

It's amazing how dumb you'd have to be to forget that the whole purpose of a review, nay, the whole English language, is to communicate clearly. A review has to give the reader the information they need to make a decision, and if you have to re-read the entire thing several times over to figure out what on earth he's saying, then the review is a failure. It's one thing if someone is just plain bad at reviews. But he is essentially declaring war on all gamers for not being as bright as him, for not being able to read what he is saying. He's right in that respect; he's certainly a lot dumber than everybody else.