100hz TV's + Gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DooM_MerchanT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DooM_MerchanT
Member since 2009 • 105 Posts

I am looking to buy a TV for mainly gaming. Currently wanting a full HD 32" and was wanting to know if it is worth paying extra for 100hz, I have heard many conflicting messages about 100hz and just want an answer. If it isn't necessary of the current gen would it be worth getting it in preparation for the next as I want as "futureproof" television as possible. Thank you.

JGINQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JGINQ
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

I've got a 120hz Samsung and I love it.

Google for "avs forums". Those forums have all the answers you need.

Khaine775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Khaine775
Member since 2005 • 8181 Posts

I've got a Samsung 100Hz TV myself and when I watch Blu-ray movies I can see a HUGE difference when 100Hz is enabled. It is as if the picture gets a lot more clear and lots of the tiny little details, which Blu-ray gives you, gets much more clear when watching in 100Hz. Sure, it takes a movie or two to get used to the smoothness of the picture, but 100Hz is definately worth it!

Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

I've had a 32" 100 hz TV for years now (not a HD mind you) and not only does everything look nice and crisp on it (even Playstation and SNES games) but its easier on your eyes, during those long gaming sessions. For fighting games its absolutely essential and it just makes other games look that much more nice. As such I don't think there is any real downside to getting a 100 hz, except for maybe the price, but in the long term its worth the expense if for your health alone.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

You must mean 120Hz TVs. The higher refresh rates allow for better compensation of interlaced material and provides a natural fit for film material (since 24 actually divides evenly into 120). That's why BluRay films look so great on 120Hz TVs--no more combing.

Now, as for gaming...I've heard word that if the output rate is lower than its natural rate, the TV will normally perform some video processing to compensate. Unfortunately, this creates the same problems HDTVs in general have with SDTV consoles like the PS2--display lag, which can be problematic for timing-sensitive games like a Guitar Hero game. If you're going to buy a 120Hz TV, find out first if there's a way to turn off this video processing through things such as "Gaming Mode". This cuts out the video processing and pushes the pictures onto the screen with no delays. Since the PS3 and 360 both handle 1080p @ 60Hz (which goes evenly into 120), there should be no more lag from upconversion or rate conversion.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

You must mean 120Hz TVs. The higher refresh rates allow for better compensation of interlaced material and provides a natural fit for film material (since 24 actually divides evenly into 120). That's why BluRay films look so great on 120Hz TVs--no more combing.

Now, as for gaming...I've heard word that if the output rate is lower than its natural rate, the TV will normally perform some video processing to compensate. Unfortunately, this creates the same problems HDTVs in general have with SDTV consoles like the PS2--display lag, which can be problematic for timing-sensitive games like a Guitar Hero game. If you're going to buy a 120Hz TV, find out first if there's a way to turn off this video processing through things such as "Gaming Mode". This cuts out the video processing and pushes the pictures onto the screen with no delays. Since the PS3 and 360 both handle 1080p @ 60Hz (which goes evenly into 120), there should be no more lag from upconversion or rate conversion.

not all games do 1080p @ 60hz so yeah there is lag when gaming however 120hz works great with BD and sports events
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
I read most games only go up to 720 and I'm pretty sure there's very few titles that are optimized for 120hz so if you have the money, great.