What do you get when you mix Blu-Ray with Final Fantasy?

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts

A longer story considering that the Blu-Ray disc has more storage than a DVD disc. Sony is using Blu-Ray for their games. What this means is that game developers will be able to add more stuff in their games from cut sences to more levels. Game developers want be limited this time around due to the large amout of storage that the Blu-Ray disc has. For those of you that don't know what Blu-Ray is, I has some info on it.

Source: blu-ray.com/info/

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD), is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc. This extra capacity combined with the use of advanced video and audio codecs will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience.

While current optical disc technologies such as DVD, DVD±R, DVD±RW, and DVD-RAM rely on a red laser to read and write data, the new format uses a blue-violet laser instead, hence the name Blu-ray. Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray products can easily be made backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs through the use of a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical pickup unit. The benefit of using a blue-violet laser (405nm) is that it has a shorter wavelength than a red laser (650nm), which makes it possible to focus the laser spot with even greater precision. This allows data to be packed more tightly and stored in less space, so it's possible to fit more data on the disc even though it's the same size as a CD/DVD. This together with the change of numerical aperture to 0.85 is what enables Blu-ray Discs to hold 25GB/50GB.

Blu-ray is currently supported by more than 170 of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer, recording media, video game and music companies. The format also has broad support from the major movie studios as a successor to today's DVD format. Seven of the eight major movie studios have already announced titles for Blu-ray, including Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, Sony, MGM and Lionsgate. The initial line-up is expected to consist of over 100 titles and include recent hits as well as classics such as Batman Begins, Desperado, Fantastic Four, Fifth Element, Hero, Ice Age, Kill Bill, Lethal Weapon, Mission Impossible, Ocean's Twelve, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reservoir Dogs, Robocop, and The Matrix. Many studios have also announced that they will begin releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month.

RaptorRex35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RaptorRex35
Member since 2005 • 711 Posts
yeah i know, its awesome, imagine how ridicously long FF games will be in the future from now on?
zero_cool098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 zero_cool098
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts
not necessarily longer gametime but more on higher graphics details and shorter difference on launching from different regions......... making the game longer while not loosing its enjoyability takes more money.....
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#4 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
it allows alot more polygons and customisation on characters too...maybe we'll actually get haracters that change their appearance based on armour/weapons...there's alot of ways to use that extra space, it's just a matter of what they do with it.....
DaveGamer_05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DaveGamer_05
Member since 2005 • 18823 Posts
I don't think it necessarily means a longer story. If they reallly had a desire to make a story that long they just could've multi-disced one on the PS2.
-Pro-Link-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Pro-Link-
Member since 2006 • 6297 Posts
I don't think it necessarily means a longer story. If they reallly had a desire to make a story that long they just could've multi-disced one on the PS2.DaveGamer_05

Exactly, and they would be able to hold as much gameplay, with an HD-DVD disc.  The Blu-Ray is the only reason the PS3 is so expensive.  If Sony was smart they would have gone with HD-DVD.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#7 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
You have to understand that graphics and sound alone will take up half that disc. Besides lol I think the stories are long enough
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 omega235
Member since 2006 • 5922 Posts
You have to understand that graphics and sound alone will take up half that disc. Besides lol I think the stories are long enough Amnesiac23
maybe maybe not depends on how much of both there was
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Amnesiac23
Well if you've read up on the tech facts, it doesn't really matter how much "graphics" there are. Just because of the white engine (what the ps3 runs on) half of the disc no matter how you look at it is going to be taken up with simple things like graphics and sound.
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omega235
Well if you've read up on the tech facts, it doesn't really matter how much "graphics" there are. Just because of the white engine (what the ps3 runs on) half of the disc no matter how you look at it is going to be taken up with simple things like graphics and sound. Amnesiac23
yeah, did I say that, if not I kind of meant that
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts
I don't think the games are going to be longer per se, but there won't be multiple discs. Also, I don't think because of BluRay any games will be so long that it takes up all the space on the disc. I don't think because of having Blu-Ray games will automatically be super long and amazing.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Amnesiac23
I'm so happy there won't be multiple discs those things always get lost...
svchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 svchaos
Member since 2005 • 3374 Posts
More storage space for features such Cut-scenes sounds great to me :)
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Amnesiac23
I know. I'm not so sure how the Blu-Ray discs are going to do otherwise though...there is NO WAY that they are going to replace DVDs.
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 omega235
I know. I'm not so sure how the Blu-Ray discs are going to do otherwise though...there is NO WAY that they are going to replace DVDs. Amnesiac23
eventually they could
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts
[QUOTE="Amnesiac23"]I know. I'm not so sure how the Blu-Ray discs are going to do otherwise though...there is NO WAY that they are going to replace DVDs. omega235
eventually they could

It's basically HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. Until HDTV's become standard, I could care less about it. I for one, just have an SDTV.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#17 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
[QUOTE="DaveGamer_05"]I don't think it necessarily means a longer story. If they reallly had a desire to make a story that long they just could've multi-disced one on the PS2.-Pro-Link-

Exactly, and they would be able to hold as much gameplay, with an HD-DVD disc.  The Blu-Ray is the only reason the PS3 is so expensive.  If Sony was smart they would have gone with HD-DVD.

blu-ray has almost twice as much space as a HD-DVD...and sony going with HD-DVD is a stupid idea, they'd have to pay microsoft just to use it..
Well if you've read up on the tech facts, it doesn't really matter how much "graphics" there are. Just because of the white engine (what the ps3 runs on) half of the disc no matter how you look at it is going to be taken up with simple things like graphics and sound. Amnesiac23
it definitely won't; the largest game planned so far is resistance, and that doesn't even use up half of a dual layered (yes they have already got dual layered blu ray discs...) disc...and that's once the game is totally complete
[QUOTE="omega235"][QUOTE="Amnesiac23"]I know. I'm not so sure how the Blu-Ray discs are going to do otherwise though...there is NO WAY that they are going to replace DVDs. Headbanger88
eventually they could

It's basically HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. Until HDTV's become standard, I could care less about it. I for one, just have an SDTV.

yer that's true, DVDs are gonna stay til HDTVs are standard at the very least...most ppl (me included) still only have an SDTV atm....
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

Now there saying all the channels(or most) will be in HD by 2009, and I thought 2006 was the year everything would be in high definition. The thing I hate is how companies who sell televisions normally come out with a new list of product TVs every year, and what makes it worse is that you never can find a product line from the year before. Last year IGN did a guide for cheap HDTVs for gamers who picked up the Xbox 360. There was a Samsung 32" HDTV with 720p. I've seen it at the Airforce Exchange, Sears, and Circuit City between $700-$800 and it was nice[just as IGN said]! A year has past and I know that TV is cheaper, but of course I can't find it anywhere. Not even on the web!

unnilennium78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 unnilennium78
Member since 2004 • 581 Posts
Final Fantasy XXXXX : Blue-Ray.... hee hee just kidding. I believe it will be better Graphics & bigger World created & more life-like character.
Empi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Empi3
Member since 2005 • 4101 Posts
Yeah. FFX-3- with pro blitzball menager like Pro Evolution Soccer. Ahhggahaa... blitzball.ghaa
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
I know. I'm not so sure how the Blu-Ray discs are going to do otherwise though...there is NO WAY that they are going to replace DVDs. Amnesiac23
You don't know that now. It could replace DVDs but only time willl tell.
Empi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Empi3
Member since 2005 • 4101 Posts
The DVD's din't replace completly the CD's (there are even floppy's in stores) so why BRD's should replace DVD's?