Opinion: Do you think Final Fantasy series is the best RPG out there?

• 81 results
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

We all love Final Fantasy here, but each one of us has played and experienced different kinds of RPG... different styles... from different systems. So, do you think Final Fantasy series is the best RPG out there in the market or it is just an ordinary game that you enjoy?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
Final Fantasy series is my favorite series, maybe second to Metal Gear Solid, but it's definitely my favorite RPG series. So I would say yes. "Best" is sort of subjective, but if you look at it's track record in reception, scores and sales, it's not out of line to say it's the best.
nanaki21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 nanaki21
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I personally think Final Fantasy is the greatest RPG series there is. Not just me but the +80 million sales speak for itself. I have played other great RPG's but I always find myself running back to Final Fantasy. Each of the compelling storylines seem to grab me and the sense of adventure is incredible. Also, there is such a rich base of complex characters that get you involved with there lives wonderfully. And not to forget Nobuo Uematsu amazing music that can break you into tears like no other. I am a dedicated fan of the series but I think others outside the realm of Final Fantasy can grow to respect the fact that it has done a great deal to shape the RPG genre for all time. Thank you SQUARE for releasing some truly astounding games.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
My opinion really depends on which Final Fantasy we are talking about. FFVI is my all time favorite RPG ever, but I would take a game like Diablo 2, MAss Effect or the Elder SCrolls series over most of the games in the series. FFIV and FFXII ahre the other 2 that I might take over the previously mentioned RPGs
NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

Yes, by far.

I am also a huge fan of Dragon Quest and The Elder Scrolls, but nothing comes close to Final Fantasy. :)

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Sony_FanBoy
Member since 2006 • 2993 Posts

Well considering that all RPG's owe any and all success to Final Fantasy, I would have to say that it is the best RPG franchise ever. Plus I don't think any other game can have so many people love the same franchise, but still fight over which ones are better than others.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fs_metal

Well considering that all RPG's owe any and all success to Final Fantasy, I would have to say that it is the best RPG franchise ever. Plus I don't think any other game can have so many people love the same franchise, but still fight over which ones are better than others.

Sony_FanBoy
LMFAO! Um....no. Ever heard of Wizardry? Dungeons n Dragons? Ultima? Dragon Warrior? Do you think FF would even exist without those?
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"]

fs_metal

LMFAO! Um....no. Ever heard of Wizardry? Dungeons n Dragons? Ultima? Dragon Warrior? Do you think FF would even exist without those?

Yes i've heard of those. But tell me how many of those franchises that you named off saling or doing even close to how successful as Final Fantasy is? Also i think Final Fantasy would have been made even if those games never exsited.

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts
Nope. I like the Tales series, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect, and the Elder Scrolls better.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fs_metal
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"]

Sony_FanBoy

Yes i've heard of those. But tell me how many of those franchises that you named off saling or doing even close to how successful as Final Fantasy is? Also i think Final Fantasy would have been made even if those games never exsited.

The first FF basically ripped off the gameplay of the first Dragon Warrior. You know that, right? HYow is Square going to invent Final Fantasy if the games that inspired it's very existance never existed in the first place? No DND=no Ultima=no Dragon Warrior=no Final Fantasy/
FF-Is-Awsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FF-Is-Awsome
Member since 2008 • 424 Posts
I'd say its the best. Far better than the elder scrolls first person views are for shooters not rpgs.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fs_metal
So play the Elder SCrolls from the third person view. HAve you even played TES games?
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"][QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"]

fs_metal

The first FF basically ripped off the gameplay of the first Dragon Warrior. You know that, right? HYow is Square going to invent Final Fantasy if the games that inspired it's very existance never existed in the first place? No DND=no Ultima=no Dragon Warrior=no Final Fantasy/

Really? It ripped off the gameplay of Dragon Quest/Warrior? They both used a turn-based battle system, but it's handled differently.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fs_metal
Yes. FFI ri[pped off the gameplay of hte first DW, which came out a year prior
boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts
for me, nothing else comes close to the Final Fantasy series. i mean seriously, i can't think of any RPG franchise to compare final fantasy with.
Avatar image for A_Fading_Scream
A_Fading_Scream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 A_Fading_Scream
Member since 2006 • 332 Posts
even though they were pretty poor, i still have a softspot for grandia I+II lol, don't like elder scrolls, gotta give it to pokemon, that was what properly got me into RPG's, had blue on one o th massive classic gameboys...FF certainly has to be the major selling point for RPG's, theyr the only ones that get adverts on tv anyway...in basic idea, i don't think FF is the best, but theyve perfected their method, and theyve produced mayb 5 or 6 of my top ten RPG's, so for me it is the best...
FF-Is-Awsome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FF-Is-Awsome
Member since 2008 • 424 Posts

So play the Elder SCrolls from the third person view. HAve you even played TES games?fs_metal

I have Oblivion and used to have Morrowind. 3rd person in oblivion just doesnt work its had to line up attacks and well have you seen him climb a rock in 3rd person? it's not even climbing

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]So play the Elder SCrolls from the third person view. HAve you even played TES games?FF-Is-Awsome

I have Oblivion and used to have Morrowind. 3rd person in oblivion just doesnt work its had to line up attacks and well have you seen him climb a rock in 3rd person? it's not even climbing

Then polay it from teh first person perspective and don't complain about it.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fs_metal
even though they were pretty poor, i still have a softspot for grandia I+II lol, don't like elder scrolls, gotta give it to pokemon, that was what properly got me into RPG's, had blue on one o th massive classic gameboys...FF certainly has to be the major selling point for RPG's, theyr the only ones that get adverts on tv anyway...in basic idea, i don't think FF is the best, but theyve perfected their method, and theyve produced mayb 5 or 6 of my top ten RPG's, so for me it is the best...A_Fading_Scream
Grandia II was great. I don't know why you say it's pretty poor though .Skye ruled.
idblank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 idblank
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts
I'd have to say the old Final Fantasy (I-IX) are the best RPG's of all time, everybody I know automatically thinks Final Fantasy when they think RPG. I thought that the newer Final Fantasy games were not as good as the old stuff, however I still think they're better then some other RPG's out there.
mgirllovescats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mgirllovescats
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts
Final Fantasy is a great rpg-series, I'm not sure if you can call it the best, but at least one of the best. I've played many other rpg's, like pokemon, breath of fire, grandia, etc... but I usually preferred final fantasy.
reo-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 reo-117
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts
yes I think it is the best rpg series ever most ff games are pure gold to me and I have played many rpgs but they are never as close to being as good as ff
A_Fading_Scream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 A_Fading_Scream

[QUOTE="A_Fading_Scream"]even though they were pretty poor, i still have a softspot for grandia I+II lol, don't like elder scrolls, gotta give it to pokemon, that was what properly got me into RPG's, had blue on one o th massive classic gameboys...FF certainly has to be the major selling point for RPG's, theyr the only ones that get adverts on tv anyway...in basic idea, i don't think FF is the best, but theyve perfected their method, and theyve produced mayb 5 or 6 of my top ten RPG's, so for me it is the best...fs_metal
Grandia II was great. I don't know why you say it's pretty poor though .Skye ruled.

skye actually did kick ass and every other bit of enemies bodies, ws amazin, the Battle system ws amazin 2, but wsn't feelin th story, or the dodgy animals wanderin around goin red, n the dodgy graphics, don't diss me fo that, id jus played FFX, n it felt like a PS1 game...ws enjoyable but a bit dodgy at the same time if ya get my meanin lol

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="A_Fading_Scream"]even though they were pretty poor, i still have a softspot for grandia I+II lol, don't like elder scrolls, gotta give it to pokemon, that was what properly got me into RPG's, had blue on one o th massive classic gameboys...FF certainly has to be the major selling point for RPG's, theyr the only ones that get adverts on tv anyway...in basic idea, i don't think FF is the best, but theyve perfected their method, and theyve produced mayb 5 or 6 of my top ten RPG's, so for me it is the best...A_Fading_Scream

skye actually did kick ass and every other bit of enemies bodies, ws amazin, the Battle system ws amazin 2, but wsn't feelin th story, or the dodgy animals wanderin around goin red, n the dodgy graphics, don't diss me fo that, id jus played FFX, n it felt like a PS1 game...ws enjoyable but a bit dodgy at the same time if ya get my meanin lol

It WAS a Dreamcast game. I mean, you can't expect too much graphically now days. It looked great when it was new.

You know the FFX story took major ques from the Grandia II story right? You just have to read the back of the DC box to know that htat is true

Chezzanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Chezzanator
Member since 2006 • 291 Posts

I'd have to say the old Final Fantasy (I-IX) are the best RPG's of all time, everybody I know automatically thinks Final Fantasy when they think RPG. I thought that the newer Final Fantasy games were not as good as the old stuff, however I still think they're better then some other RPG's out there.idblank

Gotta agree with you there, the FF series up until IX were quite simply some of the best RPGs ever made.

idblank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 idblank
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts

[QUOTE="idblank"]I'd have to say the old Final Fantasy (I-IX) are the best RPG's of all time, everybody I know automatically thinks Final Fantasy when they think RPG. I thought that the newer Final Fantasy games were not as good as the old stuff, however I still think they're better then some other RPG's out there.Chezzanator

Gotta agree with you there, the FF series up until IX were quite simply some of the best RPGs ever made.

Now here is a Final Fantasy gamer that is smart, I even completely agree with you current signature. I'm now tracking you.

Schulzygrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Schulzygrl
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

When I thnk of RPG I think of Pokemon....this might be because I played it first, but yea....either way FF is an awesome RPG but Pokemon is awesome too....so I can't say that one is better than the other

A_Fading_Scream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 A_Fading_Scream
[QUOTE="A_Fading_Scream"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="A_Fading_Scream"]even though they were pretty poor, i still have a softspot for grandia I+II lol, don't like elder scrolls, gotta give it to pokemon, that was what properly got me into RPG's, had blue on one o th massive classic gameboys...FF certainly has to be the major selling point for RPG's, theyr the only ones that get adverts on tv anyway...in basic idea, i don't think FF is the best, but theyve perfected their method, and theyve produced mayb 5 or 6 of my top ten RPG's, so for me it is the best...fs_metal

It WAS a Dreamcast game. I mean, you can't expect too much graphically now days. It looked great when it was new.

You know the FFX story took major ques from the Grandia II story right? You just have to read the back of the DC box to know that htat is true

i had it on the PS2, but yeah i can see the parallells...

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fs_metal
I have not played the PS2 version. Grandia II even had a primary character that looked like Khimari
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sony_FanBoy
I have not played the PS2 version. Grandia II even had a primary character that looked like Khimarifs_metal
The Lion-like character does not resemble Kimahri. Also don't play the PS2 version, it sucks ass.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fs_metal
I don't remember what his name was, but there is a character in Grandia II that really does look like Khimari dude. There is a picture of him on the isnide of hte CD case for hte DC version
Chezzanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Chezzanator
Member since 2006 • 291 Posts

Mareg & Kimahri

Similar enough lol

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fs_metal
There is a strong resemblance there.
goodbyethumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 goodbyethumbs
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
FFVI & VII, in my opinion, were the best FF games. The series as a whole i wouldn't consider the best. I think Wild Arms and Valkyrie Profile were both games that were better than a lot of the FF series.
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sony_FanBoy
FFVI & VII, in my opinion, were the best FF games. The series as a whole i wouldn't consider the best. I think Wild Arms and Valkyrie Profile were both games that were better than a lot of the FF series.goodbyethumbs
WHOA WHOA WHOA! Valkyrie Profile is a good series, but Wild Arms....NO.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fs_metal
The first Wild Arms was bgood. It was abetter game than FFVII
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sony_FanBoy

Mareg & Kimahri

Similar enough lol

Chezzanator

The only similarities that I see are that they both look mad, they are big and they are hairy (Kimahri is hairier)

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sony_FanBoy
The first Wild Arms was bgood. It was abetter game than FFVIIfs_metal
But overall Final Fantasy is better and has very memorable moments. I like the Wild Arms games, but it's not better than FF.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fs_metal
I didn;'t say the WA seris is better than the FF series, but the WA series isn't bad
frostbourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 frostbourne
Member since 2005 • 2773 Posts
Yes true. It is always fun to be open to other RPG franchises as well to expand our gaming horizons.
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fs_metal
I want Fallout. Seriously. Fallout 3 looks both amazing nad unique
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DrAwesomeMD

I want Fallout. Seriously. Fallout 3 looks both amazing nad uniquefs_metal

I like how you can have a dog companion. Too bad there could be I Am Legend like tragedies.

Shekb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shekb
Member since 2005 • 13506 Posts

As a series, Final Fantasy is just plain awesome and FFIX put it right on top of the other series

But, if I had to go with the best RPG ever, Dark Cloud 2 and Disgaea 1 & 2 are both incredible

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I want Fallout. Seriously. Fallout 3 looks both amazing nad uniqueDrAwesomeMD

I like how you can have a dog companion. Too bad there could be I Am Legend like tragedies.

That was the saddest part of that movie, far and away. Broke my heart :(
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DrAwesomeMD
[QUOTE="DrAwesomeMD"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]I want Fallout. Seriously. Fallout 3 looks both amazing nad uniquefs_metal

That was the saddest part of that movie, far and away. Broke my heart :(

I shead a few tears. :cry:

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fs_metal
It takes alot to make me cry but it did make me sad
deathknightleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deathknightleo
Member since 2006 • 274 Posts
final fantasy is a very good series by far. but i have always liked star ocean more.
enl100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 enl100
Member since 2008 • 805 Posts
a yes and a no the numbered are th best i loved ffvii tactics is ok versus is fun dissida is a smash bros for final fantasy crystal chronicles is a waste of money (wii ware version)
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 fs_metal
FFCC and the Cube was a good game
shionone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 shionone
Member since 2003 • 4670 Posts
For me, Legend of Zelda series and all of the FF are on the same level. I think they are popular because of 2 things, 1) lots of thought went into them and 2) both series have tons of $$ to promote and they keep it up. I also love the Tales series. Awesome and Dragon Quest. I have all of the US releases. Just jealous I can't have the Japanese releases cause I can't read in Japanese! :lol: