Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1 Lightning__Evil
Member since 2010 • 4483 Posts

Sorry if you thought this was news, I don't have any new info on a movie. I was just wondering if anyone would want to see another Final Fantasy movie and connected to which series? Also, would you like it to be CGI again or would you want the movie industry to attempt a live-action interpretation?

I wouldn't mind seeing another Final Fantasy movie myself. Maybe one set to X or XIII or even another VII although all the additions to VII kind of diluted it though I like Advent Children. As far as which format, I think it might be better if they stick to CGI rather than attempting live action. Also, it would be better it they didn't try an original concept again like the spirits within but I thought it was okay. So which series would you like to see a movie companion? 

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 DreadDLordD
Member since 2005 • 2413 Posts
Right now, a movie is the least of my demands from SE. They've got so many games that I can't even be bothered to squash even script/screenplay for a feature length film in my brain. The titles I would definitely not want to see a movie companion with are as follows.

VII, X, XIII. The modern titles have received too much credit. And certainly no live-action. Unless you want an extravagant box-office bomb like Dragonball Evolution
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

Live-action really wouldn't be bad, though through the selection of awful actors that don't even look like the characters and completely screwing up the story, I'd go with just another CG movie.

I would say FFVI (like I always do) but there isn't much of anything they can do with that since the story was pretty much wrapped up at the end of the game.

FFVII would be alright, but man, that would just make the game lose what little sanctity and nostalgia it has left. 

FFIX maybe....like a prequel of sorts.

Or FFIV. I don't know, either one of those, I guess.

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
CGI definitely. Attempting to give a series that is known to be animated a live action counterpart has always been one of my biggest pet peeves. I do not want to see an actor pretend to be an animated character after playing through a game.

I may be alone on this, but I wouldn't mind if they made the general storyline of one of the Final Fantasy's into a movie. It doesn't introduce very much new content, but it does allow them to be faithful to the plot, rather than introducing a sequel or a prequel that the vast majority of the fans dislike. Being a movie, though, it would have problems with the pacing if they made it only one or two hours. But I think it would be capable of being done well, and would be a nice addition to the games.
Avatar image for Lightning__Evil
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lightning__Evil

CGI definitely. Attempting to give a series that is known to be animated a live action counterpart has always been one of my biggest pet peeves. I do not want to see an actor pretend to be an animated character after playing through a game.

I may be alone on this, but I wouldn't mind if they made the general storyline of one of the Final Fantasy's into a movie. It doesn't introduce very much new content, but it does allow them to be faithful to the plot, rather than introducing a sequel or a prequel that the vast majority of the fans dislike. Being a movie, though, it would have problems with the pacing if they made it only one or two hours. But I think it would be capable of being done well, and would be a nice addition to the games. siberian142

I agree with your thoughts on making one of the games into a movie itself rather than a prequel or sequel but movie makers wouldn't go for it. Any video game based movie that has every been made is either one of those two things or it goes so far off the plot of the games like the Resident Evil movies did (even though I still like them :D ), however, when the studio makes graphic novel movies it seems they are better recieved when they follow the story of the graphic novel. Now why can't they realize that that is what they need to do with video game movies as well.   

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 cjimrun
Member since 2011 • 1255 Posts
I would kill for a new cgi Final Fantasy movie. VI and VII are the 2 that fans always argue over for preference, but we already have a VII movie so VI would be the logical material. Thing is... Square seems reluctant to tap VI's enduring appeal for any kind of further marketing opportunities like it has some kind of "sacred cow" status, which is understandable...though frustrating. There is SO much merchandise based on every PS1 game up, but VI has one of the most memorable and marketable rosters of the series imo, and there is absolutely bupkiss in terms of toys, posters, etc... Terra, Mog, Locke, Cyan, Edgar, Sabin, Celes... even Gau for pete's sake. They all rule. Plus, they had a whole world to rebuild at the end of the game, and such a diverse cast could, and SHOULD produce more stories. And no offence to Dissidia, but I would like to see a non-joker Kefka cuz I never pictured him like that. On the other hand though... the fact that VI has never been messed with keeps it kind of pure, and why fix what ain't broke right? So since PS1 titles are obviously fair-game, I think IX had a great game-world and plenty of memorable characters, so how bout if Square hooks us up with a cgi film based on their exploits? I'd pay good money for that.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 magitekk

Something tells me Square doesn't really see FFVI as a precious little jewel. Afterall, it got one of the lowest ratings out of any FF game by Famitsu (37/40. While that is a fantastic rating, they tend to give most Final Fantasies 38 or higher)

If the game doesn't do well in Japan, Square doesn't care for how well it does elsewhere. This is why I think Square doesn't make more merchandise or more games out of it. Not because of it's appeal, but because of how poorly it's done. Square thinks in terms of money. They don't want to make this and that for a game if it's not even going to sell. FFVI wasn't very well-received in Japan (in terms of FF) and it's definitely not all that popular in the states.

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cjimrun

Something tells me Square doesn't really see FFVI as a precious little jewel. Afterall, it got one of the lowest ratings out of any FF game by Famitsu (37/40. While that is a fantastic rating, they tend to give most Final Fantasies 38 or higher)

If the game doesn't do well in Japan, Square doesn't care for how well it does elsewhere. This is why I think Square doesn't make more merchandise or more games out of it. Not because of it's appeal, but because of how poorly it's done. Square thinks in terms of money. They don't want to make this and that for a game if it's not even going to sell. FFVI wasn't very well-received in Japan (in terms of FF) and it's definitely not all that popular in the states.

magitekk

I'm sorry... "not all that popular?" FFVI is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest SNES games ever made. To this day a used copy commands a hefty price (I have one:)). People could not shut-up about it when it was first released back in '94 and it remains the preferred Final Fantasy title for many if not most of the people I speak to about the series. I understand you are in your late teens, so you aren't aware of how big this games was back then. You and most of the people you associate with probably played this for the first time on PS1 or GBA, when it was a re-release and other games like VII, VIII, Tactics and IX had taken center stage, but believe me, for anyone old enough to have played this title when it was new, it will forever remain one the greatest video-game experiences of their lives.

DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DreadDLordD
Wasn't VI slated as III in the US? Surely it must be that popular seeing as there was such a big gap in between the release for I and IV than VI. I need to get my hands on those portable ports!
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

cjimrun

I'm sorry... "not all that popular?" FFVI is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest SNES games ever made. To this day a used copy commands a hefty price (I have one:)). People could not shut-up about it when it was first released back in '94 and it remains the preferred Final Fantasy title for many if not most of the people I speak to about the series. I understand you are in your late teens, so you aren't aware of how big this games was back then. You and most of the people you associate with probably played this for the first time on PS1 or GBA, when it was a re-release and other games like VII, VIII, Tactics and IX had taken center stage, but believe me, for anyone old enough to have played this title when it was new, it will forever remain one the greatest video-game experiences of their lives.

I understand that it is very popular amongst older players and has gotten a bunch of good reception here in the states from those that have actually played it, but I stand by what I said: it doesn't have the same acclaim in Japan that it does here.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
FFVI is an awesome game, especially way back then.. But during the SNES Era, I did not crown it as King of RPGs.. I sided with Chrono Trigger. :P
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 magitekk
Chrono Trigger was definitely one of the best games from the SNES. The story was very original and some of the characters were really cool. What I would've liked though was to have more eras that you could travel to.
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lightning__Evil

Wasn't VI slated as III in the US? Surely it must be that popular seeing as there was such a big gap in between the release for I and IV than VI. I need to get my hands on those portable ports! DreadDLordD

The first game you could get at a reasonable price for either PS or PSP, or if you live in Europe it should already be on the PSN. For FFIV you could get the GBA or DS versions in which case I'd say either get the DS version or just get the Complete FFIV Collection coming out for the PSP next month. For FFVI the GBA version tends to be kinda pricey since they didn't make alot of them so I'd say either get it for the PS or wait till another port of it is released. I personally got V and VI off amazon for the PS for $18 in the anathalogy pack. 

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 magitekk
I bought FFVI for the first time in 2007 for 40 bucks. Then I lost it (was very sad) and a couple years later I bought it used for 20 bucks. Best 20 bucks I ever spent xD
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
Which version did you get?
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts

[QUOTE="siberian142"]CGI definitely. Attempting to give a series that is known to be animated a live action counterpart has always been one of my biggest pet peeves. I do not want to see an actor pretend to be an animated character after playing through a game.

I may be alone on this, but I wouldn't mind if they made the general storyline of one of the Final Fantasy's into a movie. It doesn't introduce very much new content, but it does allow them to be faithful to the plot, rather than introducing a sequel or a prequel that the vast majority of the fans dislike. Being a movie, though, it would have problems with the pacing if they made it only one or two hours. But I think it would be capable of being done well, and would be a nice addition to the games. Lightning__Evil

I agree with your thoughts on making one of the games into a movie itself rather than a prequel or sequel but movie makers wouldn't go for it. Any video game based movie that has every been made is either one of those two things or it goes so far off the plot of the games like the Resident Evil movies did (even though I still like them :D ), however, when the studio makes graphic novel movies it seems they are better received when they follow the story of the graphic novel. Now why can't they realize that that is what they need to do with video game movies as well.   

I agree with their reasoning to an extent. You're better off making a movie or game a sequel or prequel because I would imagine that most would view a movie based entirely off of the existing game would be a waste of effort and potential. As much as I would want a movie based entirely on Final Fantasy X, I would probably rather that effort put into a new project that could have the potential of being just as good as the game that might have become a movie.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 magitekk

Which version did you get?Fantasy_Gamer

I've always had the GBA version, but I've sort of compared and contrasted the SNES and the GBA versions in terms of dialog and stuff, so yeah.

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Yonathin3155
Member since 2009 • 1265 Posts
GBA FFVI is best FFVI.
DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DreadDLordD
Screw trying to find an old rare copy.

I would just 下载 it immediately :D
rabunzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 rabunzel
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts

no one would want to see another movie more than me

I want to see final versus Xiii movie

could you imagine Noctis in a movie?

how great woul that be?

I watched Vii movie and that movie about phantoms and spirit and I'm waiting for them to decide to make another movie

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lightning__Evil
Not trying to insult anyone but it seems like I keep finding like hard core noctics fans and I just don't understand. Its a character that we've seen in videos for a game that still has no release date and he's never been in a game before. Why are there so many hardcore fans for a character thats never been played. I'm just kinda confused.
DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DreadDLordD
I reckon it's just everyones inner desire to be something their not. Some people probably don't even use Noctis because they're simply fans. Just to give them a cool outlook whenever they go around posting in forums.
DreadDLordD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DreadDLordD
Speak of the devil, your word of complaint can be applied to me! Why do I have Noctis beside Kakashi/Vincent in my amateur sig? I'm guilty :P

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lightning__Evil
I wasn't trying to call anyone out or anything, I was just confused. now that I am looking at ur pics It has me thinking that when was the last time this union had some new id lines or what ever the little union bars are called. Maybe we should have some new ones made for the union?
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 magitekk
Same reason why characters like Squall are well-liked: their annoying emo appearance with the 'cool' hair and retarded clothes.
Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Yonathin3155
Actually, if Squall's coat was just a little longer, I could see myself wearing clothes like that.
cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cjimrun
I think Squall's the coolest looking character Tetsuya Nomura ever designed.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magitekk

I think Squall's the coolest looking character Tetsuya Nomura ever designed.cjimrun

So being generic is cool, I see.

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lightning__Evil
Lightning and Yuna. Those awesome side skirts, mini cape, boots, flowing fashion, just sleek and styalized. I love it and wish thats how all girls would dress :P
cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cjimrun

[QUOTE="cjimrun"]I think Squall's the coolest looking character Tetsuya Nomura ever designed.magitekk

So being generic is cool, I see.

Whatever you think of his style, I'm just talking about how he looks.  And he looks cool.8)

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cjimrun

Lightning and Yuna. Those awesome side skirts, mini cape, boots, flowing fashion, just sleek and styalized. I love it and wish thats how all girls would dress :PLightning__Evil

Lightning's obviously awesome looking too.  The militant angle could easily have ended-up butch, but they managed to keep her very feminine at the same time.  Did anyone else notice that if you move her very slowly in FFXIII, she walks like a runway model?

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lightning__Evil

[QUOTE="Lightning__Evil"]Lightning and Yuna. Those awesome side skirts, mini cape, boots, flowing fashion, just sleek and styalized. I love it and wish thats how all girls would dress :Pcjimrun

Lightning's obviously awesome looking too.  The militant angle could easily have ended-up butch, but they managed to keep her very feminine at the same time.  Did anyone else notice that if you move her very slowly in FFXIII, she walks like a runway model?

Shes struting her stuff!! ;)

Then she'll put her hand on her hip and shoot you one of her cool eyed stares 

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts
I love Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. I think they should do something with VIII, IX, X, XII, and XIII in the same format really. I think that would make the ultimate DVD box set :)
rabunzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 rabunzel
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts

Not trying to insult anyone but it seems like I keep finding like hard core noctics fans and I just don't understand. Its a character that we've seen in videos for a game that still has no release date and he's never been in a game before. Why are there so many hardcore fans for a character thats never been played. I'm just kinda confused.Lightning__Evil

you maybe right about that. but even if the game is not released. watching him in videos is enough to know how great noctis-movie would be. I already liked his charater and look. and the story doesn't seem bad, too.

and if you asked me I prefer watching the movie before playing the game (only to not kill the joy)

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 magitekk
Then what they should do is just put a picture of Sasuke from Naruto as their GS icons. At least people actually know stuff about that character.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

The funny thing is, Final Fantasy has some of my favorite action scenes in cinama. Not just talking about Advent Children, but the opening in Dissidia, the training room scene in Crisis Core: amazing. I've never seen a movie with fight scenes as cool as these. And the animation is incredible.

Yes, I would love for square to make some more Final Fantasy movies. Or any CGI action movies in a similer style. If they are going to make a movie based on a specific game, I think they should make a movie about Final Fantasy X, a prequal. About Jecht, Auron, and Braska's journy. That could be cool.

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lightning__Evil

I agree with your idea for them to do a prequel to X focused on those 3 but it also gives me concerns. 

It wouldn't really feel like a new story since we know the basic premise of that story and we already know how it ends which doesn't seem to be a very good ending for a movie unless we are going for a more bleak ending. Not to mention then I would want to see X as a movie to follow it up. Idk just thinking :D

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Yonathin3155

We already know the bleak ending, you say?

Didn't stop 'em from making Crisis Core. Or Dissidia 012.

Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lightning__Evil

Yonathin3155

Crisis Core seems like an interesting story that helps to set up Cloud for his role in VII. Basically the driving force between these two games seemed to be fan service but they are still good games and I wouldn't say they have bleak endings. If they did a prequel for X what would happen? Braska dies, Jecht becomes the monster Sin, and Auron becomes a ghost or something with the duty of babysitting Tidus. It seems kinda bleak and wouldn't really help to establish anything in X as it is there simply for backstory and we already know as much as we need to about that I think. I really would like them to do more with X because I really like that world and a lot of the characters. 

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magitekk
Crisis Core answered questions and gave backstory to Zack, but it was strange in many ways too, like bringing in characters like Angeal, Lazard, and Genesis who were never mentioned in the original game, even though they played a huge role in Crisis Core.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts
[QUOTE="Yonathin3155"]

Lightning__Evil

Crisis Core seems like an interesting story that helps to set up Cloud for his role in VII. Basically the driving force between these two games seemed to be fan service but they are still good games and I wouldn't say they have bleak endings. If they did a prequel for X what would happen? Braska dies, Jecht becomes the monster Sin, and Auron becomes a ghost or something with the duty of babysitting Tidus. It seems kinda bleak and wouldn't really help to establish anything in X as it is there simply for backstory and we already know as much as we need to about that I think. I really would like them to do more with X because I really like that world and a lot of the characters.

Well this kind of movie would be "fan service" as well. And yeah, the ending would be rather bleak but that's fine I think. And I think a story like that would be a bit better then to try to adapt a game story we already have. Taking a 50 hour long game and making it a 2 hour long movie usually doesn't work I don't think. It kinda worked for Tales of Phantasia, but that plot is a bit simpler then most FF's, and even that felt pretty rushed at times.

I've discussed making this a game with people before as well actually, but then we thought a lot would have to be added just to make it an interesting plot, and the game doesn't really give many hints of anything to really expand on. For a movie, they'd have to add a bit but not as much. It might not be a super interesting story with plenty of twists, but more a simple action movie, like Advent Children, but I think that would be cool to see.