Gigastormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Gigastormz
Member since 2003 • 359 Posts

I just got my new issue of EGM in the mail today and they have a rather lengthly review (4 page spread) for FFXII. I haven't read it yet (I'm going to read it tomorrow during my lunch break at work) but I'll give you a summary of the review then. The scores from the three reviewers are 8.5, 9.0 and 9.5 for an average score of 9/10.

EDIT: Ok I just read the review and I'll mention some of the things the reviewers said.  First, I forgot to mention FFXII is the Game of the Month.

Summon monsters are called espers in FFXII.  The story is good but falls apart at the end.  The story as a whole lacks emotion.  It concentrates on politics and not on your characters.  You'll never connect with the main characters like you would with Cloud/Aeris, Tidus/Yuna, etc.  The characters seem mundane and it's hard to distinguish who the main character is.  The English voice acting is uneven.  Several words were mispronounced.  The battle system feels simple and a step back from FFX, FFX-2 and it's more like FFXI.  Or more like an MMO.  Shallow, repetitive and dull.  The License Board is a vague, less user-friendly version of FFX's Sphere Grid.  The Gambits are cool but take out some of the challenge and strategy of past FF games.  And it sucks for boss battles.  Instead of giving commands, the Gambits are set up so you basically can sit back and watch the battle.  Summons aren't worth it with the massive MP cost.  The camera is annoying and you'll have to constantly hit R3 to recenter it.  One reviewer says some people may love the change in the battle system but others will want to wait for FFXIII which should be a return to the classic FF feel.  And yet another reviewer says the battle system is awesome.  He says he loves MMOs though so that's why he likes it.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

I just got my new issue of EGM in the mail today and they have a rather lengthly review (4 page spread) for FFXII. I haven't read it yet (I'm going to read it tomorrow during my lunch break at work) but I'll give you a summary of the review then. The scores from the three reviewers are 8.5, 9.0 and 9.5 for an average score of 9/10.Gigastormz

If I were to rate the game, I will only give it a 7-8/10. I'm not really impressed with the battle system, and the license board is just a simpler sphere grid.

Orasion_Seiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#3 Orasion_Seiz
Member since 2004 • 6594 Posts
im already expecting that from EGM. They always make lenghty reviews out of new FF games. im going to have my copy by monday if its not delayed here. Speaking of FFXII reviews, i already started writting mine, and im expecting to submit it just in time for the october 31 release.
unnilennium78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 unnilennium78
Member since 2004 • 581 Posts
im already expecting that from EGM. They always make lenghty reviews out of new FF games. im going to have my copy by monday if its not delayed here. Speaking of FFXII reviews, i already started writting mine, and im expecting to submit it just in time for the october 31 release. Orasion_Seiz
How would you have written the review since the game is yet to be released !!!! Did you downloaded the Leaked Version ??
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

Fortunately, we both have import versions. :P

Orasion_Seiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#6 Orasion_Seiz
Member since 2004 • 6594 Posts
^ yeah we have the import version. i already beat the main story last month im just doing some left over like the other mob hunts.
lordgodalming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 lordgodalming
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts
If I were to rate the game, I will only give it a 7-8/10. I'm not really impressed with the battle system, and the license board is just a simpler sphere grid.Fantasy_Gamer

FG, You keep harshing my buzz about FFXII! :cry: Despite the admittedly crappy demo packaged with DQVIII, this game is one of the main reasons I'm still keeping my PS2 around. I have great respect for you as leader of this union, but I hope I disagree with you about FFXII.
Gigastormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gigastormz
Ok I read the review in EGM, go back to my first post for the summary of it. After reading the EGM review and playing the demo in DQVIII I have to say I'm expecting to be disappointed with FFXII :( I'll reserve final judgement until I play it though.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#9 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I personally think it will be great. I always trust PSM more than anything (sorry people lol)
Gigastormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gigastormz
I haven't read PSM in a long time. I used to think it was the best mag but I cancelled my subscription after the last redesign they did. I only read EGM now but I may be cancelling that too. The last few issues haven't been that great. Plus since I'm reading all the stuff on Gamespot it's pretty much all old news in the magazines unless they get some exclusive. (Game Informer seems to get a lot of exclusives for some reason)
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 omega235
Member since 2006 • 5922 Posts
maybe the name is magic
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Amnesiac23
Been reading PSM since it started. I dont trust EGM at all. They've done a good many bad reviews.
Master_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Master_Odin
Member since 2005 • 4932 Posts
I don't know. I think I trust Famitsu more then the other two magazines because Famitsu is known for being EXTREMELY hard on the ratings, yet FFXII got a 40/40...
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Amnesiac23
good point. They are great with ratings.
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts

Then again, the Japanese are pretty crazy about Final Fantasy. The only magazine I ever really trusted was Official Xbox magazine, but we're talking playstation here. Gamespot is pretty trustworthy in my opinion as well. EGM is probably my least favorite review magazine. I've never read Famitsu, so I don't know their reviewers.
Jumbo120788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 Jumbo120788
Member since 2004 • 14956 Posts
well i liked the sphere grid so hopefully ill like this as well
zero_cool098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zero_cool098
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts
well once i found out that the game is 360 degrees camera rotation and no random battles ive always wanted it
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 omega235

Then again, the Japanese are pretty crazy about Final Fantasy. The only magazine I ever really trusted was Official Xbox magazine, but we're talking playstation here. Gamespot is pretty trustworthy in my opinion as well. EGM is probably my least favorite review magazine. I've never read Famitsu, so I don't know their reviewers.
Headbanger88
gamespot don't know crap
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts
[QUOTE="Headbanger88"]
omega235
gamespot don't know crap

I actually agree with most of their views, what it really comes to is opinion. If you are a huge FFVII fan, of course you're going to think a game like DoC is great, but to most people who are unfamiliar with the original, may say, "why isn't this in the Fry's bargain bin?" Everything comes down to opinion. I think NHL2k7 is the best team sports game ever made, one reason is Joe Thornton is on the cover, and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. Gamespot usually has opinions that I generally agree with.
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omega235
some games they review they don't get far and just give it a low score
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Amnesiac23
No. They play the whole game, but sometimes I think personal opinion gets involved. I do trust most of their reviews though
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omega235
except for monster hunter, that game they did not play through completely
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Amnesiac23
How do you know that though. Maybe they just felt that some things weren't worth mentioning (I'm not putting the game down btw :P )
omega235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 omega235
cause It is so fun and lasts a LONG time unless you are a pro at the game cause it is so long it is also fun