.::SHOWDOWN IN SAO PAULO: The Brazilian GP Thread::.

• 69 results
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts

2007 Brazilian GP

Welcome to the 2007 Brazilian GP thread, where you can discuss anything to do with this weekend's race. cjek will update the thread with the latest times when they happen.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

RANDOM FACT

This is the third year in-a-row where the Driver's Title will be decided. The cards play in Alonso's favour, who has won both his titles here.

THE MATHS

Lewis Hamilton (GBR, McLaren) = 1st or 2nd place secures the World Championship no matter what. Other than this, Lewis has to either beat Fernando Alonso and/or Kimi Raikkonen, or ensure that they don't score 4 or 7 more points than him respectively.

Fernando Alonso (ESP, McLaren) = Winning the race means Hamilton MUST finish 2nd or lose the title. Scoring 4 more points than Hamilton means the title is his (he wins the title on the count of more race wins), and must score at least 7 points more than Raikkonen to ensure that Kimi cannot overhaul Alonso.

Kimi Raikkonen (FIN, Ferrari) = Must score at least 7 points more than Hamilton (allowing Kimi to take his place by way of more race wins), however has to score 4 more points than Alonso at the same time to win the World Title.

POINTS OF DISCUSSION

1. Simple really - Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso or Kimi Raikkonen?
  2. Alex Wurz has called time on his Formula 1 career - How will you remember the Austrian?
  3. Heikki Kovalainen is close to becoming the first driver in 5 years to go an entire season without retiring (Michael Schumacher in 2002 is the last man to do it, finishing on the podium in every race) - how do you feel the rookie has performed in his debut year?
  4. Speaking of rookies, how do you feel all have performed this year? Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen, Robert Kubica (for a full season), Sebastien Vettel, Adrian Sutil, Marcus Winkelhock and Anthony Davidson (for a full season)?
  5. Who, in your opinion, has been the most improved Driver of the year? And who are the most improved team of 2007?
  6. Ralf Schumacher's Toyota career finishes this weekend - where do you see him going, and who will replace him?
  7. To top it all off, what has been your moment of 2007?

Thanks to everyone who has posted and contributed to the GP topics, and good luck to Lewis, Fernando and Kimi for the race!

kalais91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kalais91
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts

Kimi Raikkonen (FIN, Ferrari) = Must score at least 7 points more than Hamilton (allowing Kimi to take his place by way of more race wins), however at the same time has to score 4 more points than Alonso at the same time to win the World Title.

Redders1989

so is all this happening at the same time?

:P :D

...oh yeh...COME ON KIMI!!! 8)

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Redders1989

Suprisingly, yes.

I really have a bad habit of doing that. :( lol

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
Well I thought before the season started that it wouldn't be a crushing WDC victory in terms of points for whoever takes it; the battle has been so close this year, so close that it's still open to 3 drivers with only 1 race left. I'll be on the edge of my seat at the weekend. This year's rookies have done better than anybody could have guessed: Hamilton is leading the championship, which says it all really, Kovalainen has outperformed his teammate on many occasions, Kubica has performed well and brushed off his Montreal disaster with relative ease, Vettel has outperformed his car and so has Sutil, Winkelhock managed to lead a grand prix, and Davidson has had some stunning qualifying performances. As for my moment of 2007.. well, I believe that could be yet to come.
Avatar image for KimisApprentice
KimisApprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KimisApprentice
Member since 2006 • 2425 Posts
Vettel's done excellently but I've already gone about applauding the drivers in the rookie thread. So. Go KIMI! :P Driver of the Year: L H as much as I hate the gimp. Most improved driver? Probably Sutil or Vettel. Ralf? He may be at Prodrive I think. STR most improved team and um.... Im yet to work out my moment of the year.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Redders1989
Upon checking facts and stats, this will be the 9th time that the Driver's title will go to the final race with three contenders still in it. The last time this happened was in 1986 and again facts don't play well to the rookie. In the eight previous three-way title deciders, only three times has the championship leader going into the race walked out with the big prize afterwards.
Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#7 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts
Hope Heikki finish the race
mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mjk1
Member since 2003 • 10309 Posts
gonna be a great race
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

i was surprised to see how far off renault had fallen after the last two years....

General-Doug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 General-Doug
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts
Lewis all teh way!!2 ;)
KimisApprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KimisApprentice
Sato passing Alonso in Canada. That was gold.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cjek

Sato passing Alonso in Canada. That was gold.
KimisApprentice

It certainly was. Just summed up a crap weekend for Alonso really.

aloushi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aloushi87
Member since 2003 • 2515 Posts

UPDATE

Interlagos circuit smoothed out

Organisers at the Brazilian Grand Prix have revealed that the circuit has been resurfaced which will allow for more grip

Lap times are set to be quicker after the upgrade at Interlagos. The engineer who oversaw the project said: "Drivers will be able to accelerate more in two key segments."

"Additionally, the surface is far smoother now."

The track's pitlane entrance also received an upgrade which allows for improved visibility for drivers as they accelerate up the pit straight.

source: planet-f1

yuxwallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 yuxwallin
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts
Best moment of 2007: Winkelhock overtaking Raikkonen around the back of theNurburgring.
Napster06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Napster06
Member since 2004 • 5659 Posts

Not much can be said until the track times and weather are taken into place. If everything is same-as-usual then I suspect Alonso gonna nick it, close.

If it rains or some extraordinary circumstances happen, its gonna be really close. Personally, Kimi would be on an all out assault as he has nothing to lose. If he fails to finish he still be third in the Standings. He could risk a pass on Alonso or Hamilton who would be tip-toeing most of the time.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cjek

Results of first practice session:

Just to point out that the session was a wet one ;)

Napster06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Napster06
Wow, Hamilton is 2 seconds of the mark
kalais91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kalais91

cjek, u might want to mention it was a wet session :P

Full Report: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63423

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cjek

Bad news for Hamilton fans I'm afraid:

http://planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2810812,00.html

Yet another tyre cock up from McLaren could spell disaster for Hamilton just 2 weeks after the last.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Redders1989
Eurgh... It won't put a positive image on the sport (again), but hopes for no penalty on the basis they'll ruin the whole weekend for everyone. I'd rather see a three-way fight than another two-way fight. I wasn't even alive for the last three-way fight!
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cjek

Results of a dry second practice session:

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cjek

A point regarding possible penalties for Button, Sato and Hamilton; would I be right in assuming that a grid penalty is unlikely because, for example, speeding in the pits is a breach of regulations, but if done in practice only a fine is given. That rule is down to safety, but this tyre rule is down to cost-cutting in F1 if I'm not mistaken, and therefore isn't it even less of a crime?

So my assumption is that if any penalty is given, it should be a fine to either the teams or to the drivers themselves. Because McLaren have owned up (Link to story), then it's possible the stewards will see sense and fine the team. I'm sure Honda and Super Aguri will also admit their error.

TannerRules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TannerRules
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
But did Hamilton not know he had used two sets of tyres? Because if he did, it's as much his fault as it is the teams.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cjek

But did Hamilton not know he had used two sets of tyres? Because if he did, it's as much his fault as it is the teams.TannerRules

Well I doubt it's a rule which the drivers themselves would be expected to know. But three teams have completely messed up if they can't follow this odd but simple rule. And Alonso is lucky that he didn't also take part in Practice 1 really.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cjek
Honda, Super Aguri and McLaren have been fined 15,000 for the rule breach, and the drivers have escaped penalty. Exactly the outcome that was deserved. This news was actually broken earlier but I had some cache problems and I didn't see it.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Redders1989
Phew *wipes sweat from brow* Now, let's get this weekend going already :D:D:D:D:D:D
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cjek
Hopefully it'll be an exciting qualifying session.. and by that I mean 3 really good final laps from Alonso, Raikkonen and Hamilton, all set after the chequered flag comes out. I want to be on the edge of my seat :D
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Redders1989
How about if all three of them set the same fastest lap, ala '97? :lol:
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cjek

lol.. that would be quite a strange situation

Anyway, here are the third practice results:

Alonso seemed to give up completely, probably saving a surprise for qualifying and I'm not sure what happened to Kubica as I didn't have commentary or even video for this session, but all I know is that he stopped in sector 2 for whatever reason. Hopefully it won't require an engine change.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cjek

Results of the ever so important qualifying session:

KimisApprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KimisApprentice
I wonder if Ferrari will accuse Hamilton of blocking, twice did Kimi come across Hamilton and twice did Kimi not improve on the sector that he and Hamilton were in.... It didn't look as though he was blocked but Ferrari can do anything these days. It'd really throw the title open...
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cjek

I wonder if Ferrari will accuse Hamilton of blocking, twice did Kimi come across Hamilton and twice did Kimi not improve on the sector that he and Hamilton were in.... It didn't look as though he was blocked but Ferrari can do anything these days. It'd really throw the title open...
KimisApprentice

Well it's already being debated. A particular part I liked:

"I realised he was close, so I slowed. I can't attack the corner like he did, so I backed off and he went past me."

That drew the reply: "You never showed him clearly that you would give him a free track," to which Hamilton joked: "What do you want me to do? Put the indicators on?"Planet F1

Hamilton said he tried his best to get out of the way, and Raikkonen doesn't seem at all bothered by the incident.

gospvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gospvg
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Hello :) Thanks for letting me post, I'n new to the union - love F1 have been following it now for 25 years anyhow onto the quali session. Shocked about Kovalanein poor result and Mark Webber looks to be in good form the Red Bull team could challenge BMW for places. Let the lights go out and let's watch the shootout down to the first corner.
aloushi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aloushi87

Hello :) Thanks for letting me post, I'n new to the union - love F1 have been following it now for 25 years anyhow onto the quali session. Shocked about Kovalanein poor result and Mark Webber looks to be in good form the Red Bull team could challenge BMW for places. Let the lights go out and let's watch the shootout down to the first corner.gospvg

Welcome to the F1PU! :)
Alonso seems to be slacking off, very unlike him. :?.. I don't expect surprises; Massa will probably dominate the race from start to finish followed by Hamilton and Raikkonen, at the end Hamilton will be crowened as the champion.

Napster06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Napster06

How about if all three of them set the same fastest lap, ala '97? :lol:Redders1989

Care to elaborate what happen? I never knew it since I followed F1 only in 1999.

-------

I think Hamilton will win the DC. But right now we shall only hope his career does not turn out like Villenueve's

Khoo1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#37 Khoo1992
Member since 2005 • 2472 Posts

Raikkonen doesn't seem at all bothered by the incident.

cjek

He've lost his hope

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Redders1989

[QUOTE="Redders1989"]How about if all three of them set the same fastest lap, ala '97? :lol:Napster06

Care to elaborate what happen? I never knew it since I followed F1 only in 1999.

-------

I think Hamilton will win the DC. But right now we shall only hope his career does not turn out like Villenueve's

In qualifying for the last round of Jerez '97, Michael Schumacher, Jacques Villeneuve and (I think) Eddie Irvine all set the same fastest lap time.

kalais91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kalais91
[QUOTE="Napster06"]

[QUOTE="Redders1989"]How about if all three of them set the same fastest lap, ala '97? :lol:Redders1989

-------

In qualifying for the last round of Jerez '97, Michael Schumacher, Jacques Villeneuve and (I think) Eddie Irvine all set the same fastest lap time.

And by Irvine he means Frentzen :wink: :P

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Redders1989
That's the one! I knew Irvine didn't sound right...
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cjek

Kimi Raikkonen has won the championship in style in Brazil. A mistake looked to make Hamilton's task a little more difficult, but it was a gear problem that truly destroyed his chances. Massa played his tactical role, while Alonso managed to hold 3rd despite being troubled by Kubica.

KimisApprentice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KimisApprentice
WELL DONE KIMIIII!!!!!!!!!!!! What a superb race, Hamilton really drove the wheels of his car to claw back to 7th but it was a Ferrari weekend and I'm so glad that Kimi has finally won himself a WDC and it wasn't through any bull. He raced fair and square and won it. No dubious spins, pit stops or anything. and almost a minute ahead of Alonso. Spectacular race.
wombat26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wombat26
Member since 2005 • 2284 Posts
Yep, great race and a fantastic result for Kimi. Who would've predicted it? Poor Lewis, of all the races for an unmitigated disaster to occur, it had to be Brazil. :P
kalais91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kalais91

01 Kimi Räikkönen 110

02 Lewis Hamilton 109

03 Fernando Alonso 109

1 Point separates the top 3, Ferrari would have won the constructors by 1 point even if mclaren didnt get DSQ (assuming mclaren didnt get the points from hungary)

Pretty close year huh? But in the end the best man won, and what a way to win it!

KIMI RAIKKONEN 2007 WORLD

CHAMPION!!!!!!!!

8)

aloushi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 aloushi87
I can't belive what happened!!!
What a dramatic ending for one of the best F1 seasons ever! Yet, Kimi owes Massa big time for playing the crucial tactical role in this GP. Who would have thought that Leiws will experience such problems in the final race!!!

Kimi deserves this championship for driving consistently throughout the season and not giving up until the very last moment. Not to mention his ice-cool nerves that helped him play it right.

I'm so happy that Kimi finally won a championship!!! :D:D:D
aloushi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 aloushi87
UPDATE

`Gearbox problem cost Lewis the title`

McLaren team boss Ron Dennis revealed a temporary gearbox problem ruined Lewis Hamilton's bid to win the title

Hamilton's car almost came to a halt during today's Brazilian Grand Prix and the young Briton could only finish seventh.

That allowed race winner Kimi Raikkonen to snatch the crown for Ferrari by a single point.

"At difficult moments like this you just have to have a sporting attitude to the outcome," Dennis told ITV.

"Lewis has enjoyed phenomenal reliability from his car this year. It was just a default in the gearbox which selected neutral for a period of time but then sorted itself out.

"It was so close, we needed just one car to stop. It's hard to find the right words but I think the whole team has done a great job all year and should be proud of their achievements.

"It's not about one race, it's about the Championship, we have to be sporting and positive and look forward to next year."

source & pic: planet-f1

General-Doug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 General-Doug
Member since 2006 • 230 Posts

Update: Trio Under Investigation

BMW Sauber and Williams are under investigation of the Brazilian Grand Prix race stewards.

Representatives of both teams were summoned to the stewards' office after their cars failed post-race inspection at Brazil.

The problem is believed to be in the tempature of the fuel samples taken from the cars of Williams's Nico Rosberg and BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld.

The trio finished the race in fourth, fifth and sixth respectively.

Source: updatef1.com

tatilud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tatilud
Member since 2004 • 1295 Posts

Kimi Confirmed Champion!!!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/10/7023.html

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1/

atlessky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#49 atlessky
Member since 2006 • 567 Posts

A great tactical move between Massa and Kimi speeding away from the backrunners.It is in the end that Kimi had TOOK the pole, not given by Massa.A great battle between Alonso-Kubica,Kubica-Rosberg,Kubica-Heidfeld-Rosberg(the funniest :lol:).Lewis did his best catching up from the back to 7th.So,the final results are

The fastest lap and the fastest car,New F1 World ChampionKimi Raikkonen!!!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

WOW! 17 points behind after japan and kimi ends up taking it all! i was on the edge of my seat the entire time just waiting to see kimi's engine blow up on the last lap or something. what a race.