Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts

Formula 1 is set to give the green light to a young driver Friday test plan at grands prix next season as part of an effort to hand rookies extra track time.

AUTOSPORT can reveal that F1 teams have approved a change to the sport's regulations that will encourage outfits to run test drivers during an extended first free practice session.

The matter was discussed during a meeting of F1 think tank, the Sporting Working Committee, ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix.

Teams voted in favour of the idea, which will result in first practice being extended from 90 minutes to two hours.

To further encourage teams to run test drivers, the rules are also to be changed to allow teams to swap drivers during the session itself.

This means teams can ensure their regular race drivers are not hampered too much by having to sit out the session, and can take over from any testers that run early on.

Teams will also be handed an extra set of tyres, which can only be used during that portion of running, for the first 30 minutes of the session.

Having been approved by the teams, the matter now needs to be ratified by the FIA World Motor Sport Council, which is meeting in Croatia next week.

SOURCE: Autosport 

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 kipi19
Member since 2005 • 4590 Posts
I really like this idea.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

What is going on, the FIA making sensible decisions?

I await the "Ferrari rule" where if you race in a Ferrari car that is red then you automatically gain 5 places in qualifying....

In seriousness, another good idea and another step in the right direction.

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts
I think this is a great idea - giving new drivers a taste of the speed etc of an F1 car. Should work well.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts
I do worry though. Key word being used here is "encouraging". Whilst teams like Force India, Sauber, Marussia, Caterham etc. will definitely use this opportunity in the right way - do you really see the likes of Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren & Mercedes doing this? If they're not forced to, I can see those four using their race drivers for the whole 2 hours.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
I honestly think some of those would. I mean take Jules Bianchi, Ferrari would probably have him testing if he did not have the Marussia drive and I assume they have more than one young driver lined up. A similar story perhaps with other teams like Mercedes and McLaren. Red Bull senior team is the only one I think would perhaps not use this time given Toro Rosso is their junior team thus they have little need for testing new drivers as they have a team in place to do that already.