where's the HOME button?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

neoteny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 neoteny
Member since 2003 • 56 Posts

the site looks great. i like that fact that it's not so cluttered in the home page. it's sleek. And that's appropriate. speaking of which, where is the HOME button? i know you're not done yet, but just in case...

by the way there's something wrong with the control panel. the options/images tab won't load new pics. i can't load banners.

ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ZeroGravX
Member since 2005 • 1296 Posts

You get to the homepage by clicking on the GameSpot logo on the upper left corner. That's the standard on most websites these days.

neoteny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 neoteny

it's common sense, i know. tons of people know this. im speaking for the rest who don't. it doesn't hurt to have both the logo and the home botton icon on the index.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

I have to agree with ZeroGravx, I think it'd be pretty pointless to have a homepage button when we have such a large logo hyperlinked that takes us straight to the homepage.

neoteny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 neoteny

I know it's redundant to have a home button and logo on the main page, but it's good redundancy. it's not exactly safe to assume that users will know to click the logo to return home. I was a confused for a second looking for the home button, but only because I'm used to looking for it.

keep in mind that not everyone is able to navigate websites like most of us. not every user thinks like that. just having the logo as an active link to the home page isn't enough. this may seem trivial but it's a pretty big deal in the grand sheme of things.

Avatar image for sodiumpentathol
sodiumpentathol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sodiumpentathol
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts

I'm with you on this, neoteny.

None of these things can be figured out intuitively, they have to be learned at some point.
By omitting plain information and substitute it with lingo, you take away someones ability to understand things properly and autonomously.
This, in turn, will leave people stuck and confused. The total opposite of what an information medium should aspire to, I'd think.

neoteny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 neoteny

you're right it shouldn't be confusing. i have a hard time seeing how it could confuse the user but thsoe people are out there.

gamespot obviously know this, (the other guys don't) but you make a web site with the user in mind. you don't make it for you. once it's out there to the public it's not your baby anymore. it's our baby. i'm citing that verbatim. heh...

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
I don't see anything wrong in clicking the logo to go to the home page.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
There is nothing on the homepage that you can't get through the other buttons anyways.