Voting problem in Opera

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Syn-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -Syn-
Member since 2005 • 38 Posts

I wanted to vote for that villain thingy and I couldn't.

the list opened, I clicked on the red vote image under the villain picture and a little box opened,
and I clicked to confirm the vote, but I got redirected to an empty page. just plain empty, all white, nothing there.

I am not sure about the URL, but I'm pretty sure it was the same I was already on,
but I am not 100% sure.

the problem was encountered in opera 10.60 (build 3445), windows xp 32bit.

I first encountered it a few days ago and I thought it might get magically fixed. it didn't, though.
but I remembered that I also have firefox installed so I tried it and it worked there. that's why I couldn't confirm the URL.

normally I wouldn't bother reporting this, but since this is a big and important site,
I figured that cross-browser compatibility is important.

thanks for your time.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
Someone in the emblem reporting thread also mentioned that trying to vote in the Villain Wildcard feature from Opera wasn't working. Apparently, the workaround is to use another browser, which, I agree, shouldn't really be necessary. But there you go.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Yes, I was the person that reported this problem in the Emblem Reporting Thread. I can see you have the emblem now, so you must have done the same thing I did, which was to use another browser, such as Internet Explorer. ;)
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Does the problem persist in Opera 10.61?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hexagon_777

Someone in the emblem reporting thread also mentioned that trying to vote in the Villain Wildcard feature from Opera wasn't working. Apparently, the workaround is to use another browser, which, I agree, shouldn't really be necessary. But there you go.gmax
You could also attempt to mask Opera as Firefox or Internet Explorer. This tends to reveal websites that block out Opera for no apparent reason.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
There are sites that do different things for different browsers (and I think GameSpot actually does that for browsers running on certain gaming platforms), and while there are times that that can create unnecessary problems, I think what's going on here is simpler. Most likely, the browser is being expected to do something that not all browsers do. If I were to guess, I'd say it probably has something to do with some subtle aspect of javascript-initiated network traffic (like ajax, et al). My advice - keep another browser handy.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hexagon_777

Indeed, good advice, gmax. I would just like to bring forth this in case GameSpot needs further incentive to make itself more compatible for all browsers. =)