This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexcore88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 alexcore88
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
First off, I'd like to apologise if this is posted in the wrong place, I just thought that this would be the best place. As you can see from my post count, I just signed up. The username I wanted (alexcore - psn account and the handle I use everywhere these days) was apparently already taken, so I had to settle on this one. I later checked, and there's no user called alexcore. Is this some kind of glitch/bug or what? Is there any way to change my name? Not too fussed, but it'd be nice to sort out, even if it just means clearing out the servers of old usernames that are "active" when in fact they no longer are. Cheers!
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
With very few exceptions, once an account is created on GameSpot the user name is not changed. Mostly this is because changing user names is extra work for the staff and they are already buried with other stuff, but there is also a technical rationale - changing user names can throw a monkey wrench in the system, so it's not something to be done casually. The question about user name availability is one that has come up before. While there are some theories about why user names that do not appear to be in use might be unavailable (mostly involving GameFAQs accounts), we haven't really heard an official comment on whether there might be more to the story or not. The GameSpot user name space, unfortunately, is very crowded, and so far I have not heard of any plans to address that. Personally, I wish they would do something about it, but I have a feeling there are a lot of obstacles in the way. Anyway, try to find a user name you can live with, and be prepared to stick with it.

alexcore88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 alexcore88
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Thanks a lot for your swift response, I guess I'll stick with this. It's my secondary psn account name, and so I'm not too fussed. alexcore seems to be taken most places if you're not quick enough anyway!