Suggestion: Block specific users from viewing your profile

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I had a friendship go sour, and now I suspect this person is tracking everything that I'm doing, and thumbing down everyone's comments in my blogs. I know to stop this, I'd have to set my profile on private, which blocks everyone who isn't on my friends list, and I think this is unfair to everyone else. I wish that some time in the future, the ability to block specific users becomes integrated, so we can choose without having to alienate everyone else who can and can't view our profiles.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I'd love to see this. I have often times set mine to friends only to keep users out but that isn't fair to everyone else. It would also be nice if we could block the posts from users in the boards as well as topics. some users I just don't care to see their post and I'm never gonna read what they say. (Even if they do reply to me there are a few I still just ignore)
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts
You could report this person to the mods, though I doubt that would reach the root of the problem, which of course is the fact that they are 'stalking' you as it where. I doubt that the admins could/can integrate something in so quickly. :( Just report said user and let the mods deal with the problem. :)
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fastesttruck
You could report this person to the mods, though I doubt that would reach the root of the problem, which of course is the fact that they are 'stalking' you as it where. I doubt that the admins could/can integrate something in so quickly. :( Just report said user and let the mods deal with the problem. :)KOTORkicker
How is that going to stop the user from doing it more and more unless they can some how get rid of the post rate thing for that user which I don't think is needed when there is this idea to just block them
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 kcwsk8
Member since 2008 • 3585 Posts
This has not happened to me (yet) but I can see how useful it would be and I think it would be an excellent idea.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fastesttruck
This has not happened to me (yet) but I can see how useful it would be and I think it would be an excellent idea.kcwsk8
Ya know that by saying that you have a 30% higher risk of someone doing that to you now right? >_> I've seen it happen to lots of users. I've had a few blogs where all the posts got hidden. Really tho I think users do it b/c they are mad at the user they do it to for not being able to be as good as them
_LiquidFlame_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 _LiquidFlame_
Member since 2007 • 13736 Posts
Thanks F for the link. ;) I fully support this idea. I really like the sound of it, and I don't want that to happen to me. Where do I sign? :D I also have an idea to add to this suggestion. What if you could blog incoming messages, posts, etc. from the certain user? If they're spamming your inbox and threads, then you should have a way to block that as well. There could be a list of checkboxes, you input the username of the user, select from the boxes exactly which features you want blocked, and hit Accept.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

You could report this person to the modsKOTORkicker

We unfortunately have no real means to prove anything along these lines. The records of thumbs up or down given out is not logged.

Goliath_unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#9 Goliath_unit
Member since 2006 • 3930 Posts
I too think it is a good idea. it hasn't happened to me yet, but it is best to be prepared in case any of this happens.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts
I support this idea.:) It would be handy if you know who it is that is stalking you
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

[QUOTE="KOTORkicker"]You could report this person to the modsGabuEx

We unfortunately have no real means to prove anything along these lines. The records of thumbs up or down given out is not logged.

That's also something that needs to be addressed, but I'm not sure if someone's already presented a case here. It makes little senseto for anonymity amongst rating comments, because it's a function that can be heavily abused by some. It needs to be regulated just as with posts to penalize those who chose to abuse said function.
Rasengan_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Rasengan_X
Member since 2007 • 20203 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

You could report this person to the modsKOTORkicker

That's also something that needs to be addressed, but I'm not sure if someone's already presented a case here. It makes little senseto for anonymity amongst rating comments, because it's a function that can be heavily abused by some. It needs to be regulated just as with posts to penalize those who chose to abuse said function.

I support this idea, it's useful in your case. Other then this changing the profile privacy level is enough but in other cases like this, the option you mentioned sure comes in handy.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
seems like a very good idea. why isn't it already here??
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts
I agree, it seems like a good idea, especially sine we are not given the abilitiy to delete the posts people make on our blogs.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

[QUOTE="KOTORkicker"]You could report this person to the modsGabuEx

Then we should do that. You know, like a karma score. Speaking of that...

kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 kcwsk8
Member since 2008 • 3585 Posts
If it is causing trouble, how about removing it? I mean seeing that your comment got a thumbs down is kinda hurtful, and if someone wants to give it a thumbs up, all they have to do is post, "I agree with soandso." It isnt like this is a major feature for Gamespot. It would solve problems too. Just a thought. I personally dont care what really happens to it as long as the problem is stopped. I hate hearing people complain about Gamespot.
N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="KOTORkicker"]You could report this person to the modsJustPlainLucas

I think it's a very good idea what Lucas is proposing....Something like the "Block list" feature you have on the PS3 could be implemented here.