Stop disabling the comments please!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vampyren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 vampyren
Member since 2005 • 135 Posts

Hi,

This topic is maybe not 100% gaming related but still i feel it's the place to post. Please don't kill me if you feel otherwise. I'm fine if its moved to another section.

Anyway the reason i post this is as the title says: my plea for "Stop disabling the comments"

Let me explain, i think its fun to read articles and comment on them and get responses back from other fellow gamers. Sure there are some childish comments that sometime go out of bound and become insults but that's something for the moderators to take care of. Today i feel everyone are being punished for the actions of a few.
In recent days/weeks there has been several articles i commented on only to find the comments disabled (in this case only after a day), ex: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/we-launched-xbox-one-at-the-right-time-says-micros/1100-6425456/?hubRefSrc=email#lf_comment=274942210

This really annoys me since people reply to my comments and i'm not able to reply back. I feel like why do i even comment in the first place. If Gamespot will continue this path i just ignore the comments section all together but i'm not sure Gamespot really like people to stop commenting all together?

Or am i wrong in my assumption?
If would be nice if someone from Gamespot could share some thoughts here.

As for everyone else, what do you guys think or feel about it?

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

I personally have never experienced this. Granted, I do not read every single article, but still. I do have to point out that this has probably little to do with the nature of the comments, but rather with the fact that GS is a bit glitchy. When I load the page you linked to I can see more comments while it loads, but then the page flashes shortly and after that I only see the most recent comment and its replies. There are regular issues with the comment sections on GS. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a technical problem, so maybe this should be in Bug Reporting & Feedback or Ask the Mods.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Please note that I'm just a mod, and don't have control over such things. But I believe you are mistaking a glitch for some kind of willful obstruction of your right to comment. The article you linked, for example, absolutely does not have comments blocked - give it a try again!

The comment system is glitchy and sometimes the comments sections simply don't load into the page. Give it a few hours and/or restart your browser and you might find the comments section back where you left it. Sometimes switching browsers helps too.

Cheers!

vampyren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vampyren

@xantufrog:

hmm i think you guys are right! I reported actually another bug today:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/not-able-to-click-on-links-from-firefox-31881076/

This comment section problem seems to be related to Firefox! Now that i'm home and i tested my own link in Safari and i can see the comments.

Why is there so much issues with Firefox? doesnt Gamespot test the site with the most popular browsers? I cant even click on any links from the main pain. Now i have to select open in new tab just to open a link. Please fix the problem instead of blaming Firefox. Its not like any other site has these issues.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44284 Posts

It's a glitch. This should be in the Bugs Reporting & Feedback section.

vampyren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vampyren

@xantufrog:

@Archangel3371 said:

hmm i think you guys are right! I reported actually another bug today:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/not-able-to-click-on-links-from-firefox-31881076/

This comment section problem seems to be related to Firefox! Now that i'm home and i tested my own link in Safari and i can see the comments.

Why is there so much issues with Firefox? doesnt Gamespot test the site with the most popular browsers? I cant even click on any links from the main pain. Now i have to select open in new tab just to open a link. Please fix the problem instead of blaming Firefox. Its not like any other site has these issues.

@Archangel3371 said:

Agree but i didnt know that before :(

I dont see a way to move it or can i?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'll move it for you when I get to my desktop. I agree, my problems are usually when using Firefox

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I'll move it for you when I get to my desktop. I agree, my problems are usually when using Firefox

I got you. Thread moved.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@vampyren: The comments were in no way disabled. That particular action is something that we do in very rare instances (this is not one of those) I suspect that it may have to do with the comments timing out when attempting to load to your computer.

vampyren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vampyren

@korvus: Thank you!

@DigitalDame : No it was my adblock , although its a bit shame i have to disable it. I really hate ads and would rather pay a small fee. Still i can enable it partially :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@vampyren: Glad to be of service =)