Option to block union invites

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Irongrinder1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Irongrinder1
Member since 2004 • 2423 Posts

Hi there,

Union invites can be quite annoying, but so far I usually only got them from people already in my contactlist. Lately though, people seem to be more desperate to get more members and just randomly spam every user in their list, their contact's contactlist their union's memberlist and so on.

Of course I could just put all those users on ignore or all pm notifications off, but wouldn't it be easier if there is an option to block unioninvites only? Those are the only pm notifications which are annoying at the moment.

mjwickstrom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mjwickstrom1
Member since 2005 • 20454 Posts

Why is everyone so lazy? I know union invites can be annoying, but you don't have to whine about yourself getting so many. People are just trying to recruit to their unions to make them as active as possible. Why would you complain about it here anyway. Talk to the user who sends you the most union invites and tell them to stop.

I doubt Gamespot will do this, because they know it takes little effort to accept/decline or just delete them!

leezeebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 leezeebub
Member since 2005 • 4112 Posts
they are annoying, especially when you get them from the same union over and over again. its like "f*ck off man i said no the first time"
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
At least there needs to be an option that let the union invite sender know that the invitation has been declined, so it will not be sent to the same person again.
icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts

While they do get annoying, and I'd still like to see GS implement this I have a suggestion fo ryou:

Any time you get a union invite just delete the PM all together, don't accept or decline it. I used to get union invites all the time, but this has stopped them completely as you are in the system as pending in progress or something and can't get another for that union.

leezeebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 leezeebub

While they do get annoying, and I'd still like to see GS implement this I have a suggestion fo ryou:

Any time you get a union invite just delete the PM all together, don't accept or decline it. I used to get union invites all the time, but this has stopped them completely as you are in the system as pending in progress or something and can't get another for that union.

icytower38
i do that all the time and i still get 2-5 requests every day. i gave up declining/accepting when i started getting doubles and repeats and repeats of doubles and doubled doubles with a repeat on top ect ect ect
icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 icytower
Interesting, they've stoped for me, well I guess it doesn't always work then.
Irongrinder1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Irongrinder1

Why is everyone so lazy? I know union invites can be annoying, but you don't have to whine about yourself getting so many. People are just trying to recruit to their unions to make them as active as possible. Why would you complain about it here anyway. Talk to the user who sends you the most union invites and tell them to stop.

I doubt Gamespot will do this, because they know it takes little effort to accept/decline or just delete them!

mjwickstrom1

Why would I ASK about it here? Because this is the suggestions part of GS for enhancements? Kind of logical don't you think? And for your information, this has nothing to do with being lazy. Some people just don't like spam. Because spam is being lazy. It's just mindless clicking some invite buttons for another mindless union. Take an example of the Community Contributions union, they know how to invite people. They approached me in pm telling something about themselves and why they liked to see me there. And all that without just entering my name in the invite section. Now that's a good effort, not just randomly filling in names.

Somehow I don't think you really thought about what you were posting before you hit that button. Be more constructive next time please.

Icytower38, thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried that. The invites used to stick in the union part of the profile up till the point where you'd have a max amount of invites as well apart from the pending, but it seems the invites get deleted after a certain amount of time lately.

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts

You actually should contact those sending you the invites on your contact list.  If you know them decently, they probably will stop.  If you don't know them, get them off of there. 

Some people complain about this, but have 400 friends on their friend's list and it is obvious why they get so many.  This doesn't apply to you, but to a lot of people who have this issue.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts

You actually should contact those sending you the invites on your contact list.  If you know them decently, they probably will stop.  If you don't know them, get them off of there. 

Some people complain about this, but have 400 friends on their friend's list and it is obvious why they get so many.  This doesn't apply to you, but to a lot of people who have this issue.

LTomlinson21
I was just going to mention this. Although a feature like that would be somewhat useful, you really don't need it if you know all the people in your friends list. You might get 1-2 a week.
Irongrinder1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Irongrinder1
The trouble with that though is that lately it's not one of the contacts anymore, but contacts from other contacts or members from different unions just taking all the names they see in the lists of their friends or participating unions. That kind of feels like losing control of who messages me with invites.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
Unions would die if people could block them
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts

Unions would die if people could block them_Sam_

And that says somethng about the unions, doesn't it? 

leezeebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leezeebub

[QUOTE="_Sam_"]Unions would die if people could block themyian

if a union cant survive without spamming people to death then good riddance to it
icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 icytower
[QUOTE="yian"]

[QUOTE="_Sam_"]Unions would die if people could block themleezeebub

if a union cant survive without spamming people to death then good riddance to it

Very true and nicely put yian & leezeebub!

I am a officer over at WWEv, one of the biggest unions on GS, and I know of no members that have joined simply because they got invited. I also know none of our active members that send out union invites.

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
I think it's a good idea to be able to block invites. They annoy the hell outta me.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Sam_
[QUOTE="leezeebub"][QUOTE="yian"]

[QUOTE="_Sam_"]Unions would die if people could block themicytower38

Very true and nicely put yian & leezeebub!

I am a officer over at WWEv, one of the biggest unions on GS, and I know of no members that have joined simply because they got invited. I also know none of our active members that send out union invites.

since it's so big, it doesn't need invitations, but what about the smaller unions? Nobody will notice them 

icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 icytower

[QUOTE="icytower38"]I am a officer over at WWEv, one of the biggest unions on GS, and I know of no members that have joined simply because they got invited. I also know none of our active members that send out union invites._Sam_
since it's so big, it doesn't need invitations, but what about the smaller unions? Nobody will notice them 

While that is a true statement _Sam_ I honestly think that is the fault of GS and the union system as it is. (I hate saying it but I think it is honestly the truth)

Irongrinder1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Irongrinder1
Sam, those that would make use of the block option, would probably not join a union after being invited anyway. I know I don't ;). I only join a union if I am interested in finding stuff out about a game or whatever else and I'll search for a union like that. Besides that I wonder how much affect the union invites really have.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _Sam_
I hate union invitations too, but there are times when you read the title of the union, and might think "oh cool, I didn't know there was a union for "x"!"
Irongrinder1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Irongrinder1
I hate union invitations too, but there are times when you read the title of the union, and might think "oh cool, I didn't know there was a union for "x"!" _Sam_
That is why I am only pointing towards an option, not some pre-installed configuration. Those that value the invites can keep on going with receiving them, and those whom are annoyed by the invites, up to the point where the invite itself is rather a point not to join a union, can just block them.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _Sam_
A system is already in place so you don't get invitations from the same union twice, but unfortunally it doesn't seem to work all of the time.