Let us lock our own topics.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts

Let us lock our own topics.

I have no clue why we cant. We can lock our topics if we post on GameFaq's but not here. If we could lock our own topics, the fourms would be cleaner. Lets not kid our selfs here, mods and admins take a while to lock topics after they have no use. And yes I know you mods and admins have lots to do. So why not let us let us lock our own topics? Im not trying to beat up anyone here but if GameFaq's can let people lock thier own topics, then GameSpot shouldnt have to hard of a time letting us do it here.

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
I agree. Brilliant idea, instead of asking Mods or Admins to lock our topics.
icytower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 icytower
Member since 2005 • 10643 Posts
It would be a nice thing to allow.
Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
There was a topic about this recently, I don't know what happened to it. I support this all the way, I hope that we can do it eventually.
xzemnes567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 xzemnes567
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I agree also
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#6 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts
Agreed.
Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
I agree, that way when we get our answer we can lock it rather letting it get posted in again.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Along with that, why can't we delete our posts on GameFAQs shared boards?
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Along with that, why can't we delete our posts on GameFAQs shared boards?II-FBIsniper-II
Because GameFAQs currently doesn't support post editing, so they disable it for us so it wouldn't be abused. Since post deleting is a glorified form of editing, that got nailed to when they disabled edits. At least, I'm assuming that's how it works. CJayC has said he will implement a post edit feature into GameFAQs at some point, but a lot of GF users have pointed out that he apparently takes ages with this stuff. If/When GF does get a post editing feature, we'll probably get ours back. Anyway, I support this idea because it would be rather handy. On GF you have to wait 5 minutes without any posts before locking it, so the same thing here sounds reasonable.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Along with that, why can't we delete our posts on GameFAQs shared boards?EJ902
Because GameFAQs currently doesn't support post editing, so they disable it for us so it wouldn't be abused. Since post deleting is a glorified form of editing, that got nailed to when they disabled edits. At least, I'm assuming that's how it works. CJayC has said he will implement a post edit feature into GameFAQs at some point, but a lot of GF users have pointed out that he apparently takes ages with this stuff. If/When GF does get a post editing feature, we'll probably get ours back. Anyway, I support this idea because it would be rather handy. On GF you have to wait 5 minutes without any posts before locking it, so the same thing here sounds reasonable.

You have to keep in mind that CJayC is one guy running GF.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EJ902
MAILER_DAEMON
Yes, probably why he's earned the title "Ceejus" with all the work he does himself :P
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fastesttruck

He has some one help him, that Sailer guy I think?

5Mins? they got rid of that crapy 20 mins thing?

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EJ902

He has some one help him, that Sailer guy I think?

5Mins? they got rid of that crapy 20 mins thing?

fastesttruck
Sailor Bacon does administrative tasks like approving contributions and banning users, but he can't make modifications to the site itself. They changed the time limit on locking with the new codebase (Gfaqs10).
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
This was suggested a long time ago. A moderator brought up a good point why they didn't think it would be good, but unfortunately I forgot what it was
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fastesttruck

Ah I see. (EJ902) I stoped useing GF now that half of it is in that half assed new lay out.

(Sam) A moderator brought up a good point as to why it would be bad?

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Along with that, why can't we delete our posts on GameFAQs shared boards?EJ902

But they CAN delete their own posts on the shared forums but GS users cant.

dannyboy2443

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dannyboy2443
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts
Yeah, locking our own topics would be great.
Band_Nerd41492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Band_Nerd41492
Member since 2006 • 429 Posts
I support this.  Also I really don't see how this could be a bad thing.
CaUs3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CaUs3
Member since 2006 • 2903 Posts
i support this also
cubeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cubeman
Member since 2005 • 4274 Posts
Yes I support this as well as I on a few occasions felt like closing my topic but I can't.
ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#21 ct1257860
Member since 2006 • 4441 Posts
Agreed.kittykatz5k
same here.
D1c3_GaM3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 D1c3_GaM3
Member since 2005 • 3072 Posts
Firstly why would you want  to lock your own topic, i mean i see no reason for someone to lock their own topic. If they were to enable users to lock their own topics i'm guessing you'd be seeing a lot of locked topics for no reason because some goose wants to act like an idiot. It also takes away the majority of work administrators have to do. :P
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
I support this and think it is a good idea as well, but also you can delete your own topic by just deleting your first post... so in a sense you already can, just delete your original message and no more thread:)
Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Davidhye
Member since 2005 • 12018 Posts

Why didn't I reply to this thread? I thought I did O_o

Anyway, I support it 100% 

Davidhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Davidhye
Member since 2005 • 12018 Posts

I don't really want to create a separate thread for this idea:

how about being able to delete or edit somebody's comments in YOUR profile? or banning this person from commenting for a week or something? because you know, it's your profile, you can do whatever you want....
this is a pretty lame idea that's why i didn't create a separate topic for it

D1c3_GaM3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 D1c3_GaM3

how about being able to delete or edit somebody's comments in YOUR profile? or banning this person from commenting for a week or something? because you know, it's your profile, you can do whatever you want....

Davidhye
Editing could become messy, and for some reason arguements could start for some odd reason. Deleting a comment yes maybe, but not editing.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#27 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
i definitely support this, though users shouldn't be able to unlock their topics if a moderator/officer/etc. locks it of course
[QUOTE="Davidhye"]

D1c3_GaM3
Editing could become messy, and for some reason arguements could start for some odd reason. Deleting a comment yes maybe, but not editing.

we used to have those options, they were removed though, now we only have the moderate option, which allows us to essentially delete posts anyway, just means we have to go through the little moderation bit to do so...but that shouldn't be a problem really, as any messages that really need to be deleted will be against the ToS and therefore should be moderated anyway, i think just the moderate option is plently the vast majority of the time...
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fastesttruck
Firstly why would you want  to lock your own topic, i mean i see no reason for someone to lock their own topic. If they were to enable users to lock their own topics i'm guessing you'd be seeing a lot of locked topics for no reason because some goose wants to act like an idiot. It also takes away the majority of work administrators have to do. :PD1c3_GaM3
DO you have any clue as to how much they do? If they had less of locking topics, we could see less bugs on the site. mods would also have less work and more time to mod others that post the realy bad stuff.
D1c3_GaM3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 D1c3_GaM3
[QUOTE="D1c3_GaM3"]Firstly why would you want to lock your own topic, i mean i see no reason for someone to lock their own topic. If they were to enable users to lock their own topics i'm guessing you'd be seeing a lot of locked topics for no reason because some goose wants to act like an idiot. It also takes away the majority of work administrators have to do. :Pfastesttruck
DO you have any clue as to how much they do? If they had less of locking topics, we could see less bugs on the site. mods would also have less work and more time to mod others that post the realy bad stuff.

Umm, the mods don't help code the site, so how would that lessen the ammount of bugs?
reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts

I support this and think it is a good idea as well, but also you can delete your own topic by just deleting your first post... so in a sense you already can, just delete your original message and no more thread:)double_decker

i dopnt think you can delete your first post if someone already posted in your thread.

Guru_G4M3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Guru_G4M3R
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
Yes we need full editing privilages on shared forums and be able to lock our own threads.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
[QUOTE="EJ902"][QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]Along with that, why can't we delete our posts on GameFAQs shared boards?MAILER_DAEMON

I'd like to add on to what Mailer said: I'm an expericenced member on both sites and both sites are in fact different, such as different types of members, systems, etc. I'm sure you, like me, when you first came to GameSpot and GameFAQs, you thought they were both the same thing, but, when you start posting on the forums and getting to know more and more about GameSpot and GameFAQs, you will defintly recognise they're both completly different sites with the only thing in common are the layout of the message boards and the fact they're both based on games. With that said, here's what I personally think about this: During my time on GameFAQs, these are used but, they're more used for a negative purpose, such as closing a topic with the final message being something like "I win" or something to cause an annoyance with other people that they'd want to reply back but they can't. I then see a "ATTN: User X" topic being made and then beyond, it's just the same topic again except, a bit more negative with flames and trolling. I never used to feel this way about them, I, like you guys always used to think they'd be a great idea but, my lack of expericence on both sites were what the shadow was, that was blocking the light. And it's only been, say 6 months ago I realised this and I've been on both sites for over 3 years so yes, that's just how much time I spent and yet, I'm now only seeing that a basic thing like this is actually a negative tool in disguise. I know my post probably won't make a difference but, it is my opinion that the tool is mainly used negatively more than positively. And the very fact that both sites are different, I wouldn't really like to try this idea out as it could cause more work for the mods if you ask me. The reason you'd lock a topic is if, the discussion is over, yes? If that's true, then people simply wouldn't post in it and therefore, no reason for the tool. Though, I'm not ignoring the benefits of the tool, it would help mods but the negative outweights the positive and I'm sure GameSpot's mods/admins can manage locking topics, like they always have done.
Pinb0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pinb0t
Member since 2007 • 615 Posts
I am in favor of this too!
stkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stkr
Member since 2006 • 6118 Posts
I think we should be able to not only lock it, but delete it if possible. I don't understand why locked topics remain on the board. Why not just erase them completely?
SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
agreed
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts

i dopnt think you can delete your first post if someone already posted in your thread.

reyad-u
Good point I didn't think of that... I don't think you can either. But they could always change it so we could and problem solved:) The only drawback of this would be that if you could delete your own topic instead of lock it then people would probably try creating naughty topics then try and delete them before a Mod/Admin came accross it. But I support atleast the locking feature because then if the topic creater felt that the thread had run it's course or it was going too off thread it would save the GS staff the trouble of doing it themselves.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I think we should be able to not only lock it, but delete it if possible. I don't understand why locked topics remain on the board. Why not just erase them completely?stkr
Locked topics remain on the board as an archive, mainly just for the record that the topic was created and can be looked at it. Say if a mod wasn't too sure on a post that got marked, he can look at the original topic and decide for himself. I don't think topics on GameSpot get deleted after a certain amount of time but they do in GameFAQs.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EJ902
I think we should be able to not only lock it, but delete it if possible. I don't understand why locked topics remain on the board. Why not just erase them completely?stkr
Someone could post something like shock images, have loads of people see them, then remove the evidence before the mods find out. That's not a likely scenario, but loads of people could still break the ToU and delete the topic quickly, with the topic locked the evidence is still there and they can be nailed for it.
I don't think topics on GameSpot get deleted after a certain amount of time but they do in GameFAQs.michaelP4
I recall seeing an admin post something a while ago mentioning that there was an annual purge, but I'm not too certain.
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts

Let's take this battle to a online petetion on Petetiononline.com

earthking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41 earthking
Member since 2003 • 12506 Posts
I agree...This would be great, especially if things get out of hand in the thread.