This topic is locked from further discussion.

GrlGmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 GrlGmr
Member since 2003 • 4179 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a problem with Gamespot or not, but here it goes anyway.

I host my images on Photobucket, where I have a paid account. Whenever I post an image here that's larger than the formatting of the forum will allow (such as screenshots), instead of the scroll bars appearing on the image they get resized to the forum width. It looks really ugly, and happens in both IE and Firefox. While the page is still loading the image will appear normal sized, then get shrunk once it is entirely loaded. I have automatic image resizing turned off., and this doesn't seem to effect images that other people have posted, just mine. Then again, it doesn't happen on any other board either.

For example, I posted a desktop screenshot that was 768 x 614 and it was resized by the forum to 600x480 and looks like crap. How do I fix this issue?
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
I get this behavior myself, but if you make the image a link, it doens't do this. Without being a link and just a stand alone image, it does. It is inconsistant. Just thought I'd add this as it's rather weird.

Edit:  enhanced the clarity of the message's first 5 words.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#3 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
the best way is to simply post large images as a link rather than as stand alone images; i find the resizing is rather random personally; if you add in a specific image width/height atrribute into the html (just add one of the 2, the same as the actual full image for that length) to it yourself then it seems to prevent the resizing from happening as well...
GrlGmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GrlGmr
If you just post them as links, most people don't even bother to click on the links. Seems to be pictures posted specifically from Photobucket (though Imageshack might be included as well).
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
I can say it's not photobucket's images.  I upload my images to my own webhost (paid service rather than a free one) and point to those.  The only fix I had, to keep consistancy, was to use HTML and the image tag's width and height attributes (keep the width no more than 550 pixels, like the signature, and no higher than 750 (?) pixels for the height).  I did this with a screenshot of Flight Simulator X.  1152x864 is too big to post directly here so I scaled it to 384x288 (1/9 the area) using the width and height attributes and made the image a link so the user it was aimed towards can see the full size version.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
^yes, that's another way you can do it, it's essentially a thumbnail, imageshack give you those links automatically but photobucket doesn't so you'll have to make your own by sizing down the image and linking that smaller thumbnail to the main image so that ppl can see it full size...there's still no guarantee that they'll click on it but it lets them see the full size image more easily still and will attract more users than what a link will
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
I think it's a browser setting, "automatically re-size images", either that or a forum setting. I believe IE and Fx have this function enabled by default.
GrlGmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GrlGmr
I have automatic image resizing turned off, and it happens on two different computers.