Great idea! Gamespot Mobile!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MarkystobartPSP
MarkystobartPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 MarkystobartPSP
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts

Why not have a special version of Gamespot onyour phone/PDA/any other portable internet device (PSP or DS maybe?). You could be able to watch videos and check your messages and unions plus you could upload images and video from your phone to your Gamespot account!

serbsta69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 serbsta69
Member since 2006 • 19209 Posts
Sounds intersting, but somehow sounds expensive to me.
ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ZeroGravX
Member since 2005 • 1296 Posts

At one time they actually did have a WAP (mobile) version of the website but IIRC it was kind of limited and the plug was pulled a couple of years ago.

Here, checkout the "Wayback Machine" archive of it:web.archive.org/web/20051026025333/http://wap.gamespot.com/

serbsta69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 serbsta69
Member since 2006 • 19209 Posts

At one time they actually did have a WAP (mobile) version of the website but IIRC it was kind of limited and the plug was pulled a couple of years ago.

Here, checkout the "Wayback Machine" archive of it:web.archive.org/web/20051026025333/http://wap.gamespot.com/

ZeroGravX

Looks interesting, i would like if they could do something like that again.

ZeroGravX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ZeroGravX
Member since 2005 • 1296 Posts

Looks interesting, i would like if they could do something like that again.serbsta69

Oh I totally agree. I wish they would bring it back because I can't tell you how many times I've been at the game store looking at games and wondering if they are any good. It would be nice to be able to pull my cellphone out and look up some reviews. :)

Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
It would be nice to have since the iPhone came out mobil site have become more popular.
Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts

I personally don't like it. If it had everything that the normal site has and lets you post in the forums, thats one thing. This thing has nothing. For some reason now I cant view the NORMAL GS SITE on my Ipod anymore. It keeps sending my back to the mobile site. The touch can handle anything a website can throw at it (well not video unless its Ipod YouTube)

Anyway, I wish I could make it so I could view the forums again on the Ipod, even if you hit the www.gamespot.com link at the bottom and get to the normal site and just sends you right back when you make a choice. Whats the point?

Teivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teivan
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts

Anyway, I wish I could make it so I could view the forums again on the Ipod, even if you hit the www.gamespot.com link at the bottom and get to the normal site and just sends you right back when you make a choice. Whats the point?Zoomer30

Sounds like a bug. I'll have q_oats take a look and try to put a fix out today.

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zoomer30

Thanks, the Ipod is mobile per se but it can handle WAY more than a normal cell phone :lol: And at home its just like I am on the PC, very fast. Sure, out and about I may consider the M site just to speed things along.

The only other thing I would like to see is to be able to post fourm posts with the Ipod. I think its a bug in the Ipod, it does not seem to know the big white text box is a thing you can type in :lol: so it never brings up the keyboard

The odd thing is I CAN post in the news stories thing, that part works. Sounds like a bug with Safari.

megagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 megagood
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts

Hey Zoomer30 - this is definitely a bug, you should absolutely be able to choose whether to visit the mobile site or the full site. We're on it.

Regarding your broader comments about the site - for our beta of the mobile site, we wanted to get what we hear is the most valuable content for someone on a mobile device (news and reviews) up, in a format that is usable on as many mobile devices as possible (there are 1.5 gazillion different ones). The iPhone and iPod touch are fantastic devices - but there are a lot of people on different phones, and we have to make sure it's usable for them, too.

q_oats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 q_oats
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts
The redirection bug has been fixed. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Agreb91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 Agreb91
Member since 2005 • 7169 Posts
I am curious if you plan to let us add comments to news stories or blogs from the mobile site anytime soon?
Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zoomer30
Thanks a lot. I can add comments to the news stories on my Touch, just cant post to forums. Not a big deal, typing anything to long on the Touch is a good way to get carpal tunnel of the thumbs :lol: that is an issue with the Ipod itself, the software does not know the box is a text box so it wont bring up the KB :)
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

The redirection bug has been fixed. Sorry for any inconvenience.q_oats

Awesome I went looking for this issue today and stumbled across this thread first thankfully. Beta site looks and runs great on Pocket PC as well. Very clear and fast. :)

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zoomer30

Should be nice for the cell phone people. The Touch can handle the full site. Could be nice however if I am in a sloooooow WiFi area and dont wanna wait.

SadAngelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SadAngelman
Member since 2005 • 379 Posts

I personally don't like it. If it had everything that the normal site has and lets you post in the forums, thats one thing. This thing has nothing. For some reason now I cant view the NORMAL GS SITE on my Ipod anymore. It keeps sending my back to the mobile site. The touch can handle anything a website can throw at it (well not video unless its Ipod YouTube)

Anyway, I wish I could make it so I could view the forums again on the Ipod, even if you hit the www.gamespot.com link at the bottom and get to the normal site and just sends you right back when you make a choice. Whats the point?

Zoomer30
Im having the same problem. When away from a computer ive been using opera mini on my mobile phone to access the full Gamespot site & could even post in the fourms from my mobile phone. But in the last few days when i try to access Gamespot from my mobile it takes me to the mobile version of the site. Then it came right for about half a day & now i can access the main site but when i try to go to a game review it takes me back to the mobile version. Also if i search google on my mobile & click a gamespot link it takes me to the home page of the mobile site where it use to work just fine & take me to to the google search result i clicked on.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
Holy crappers! Mobile Gamespot! I've avoided www.gamespot.com on my tilt because it loads super slow and looks super crappy. I'm definitely happy to find that there is finally a mobile version. If you need any testing done, just let me know. I'll gladly help out.
megagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 megagood
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
Hey bgrngod, really glad to hear you are enjoying the mobile site. Definitely let me know any ideas for improvements, especially sections of the site would like to access via mobile that we don't offer currently.
tcardone05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 tcardone05
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts

wow! for a while, i've been constrained to the Engadget/Joystiq network for news, but now i find this? With reviews? AWESOME! Keep me posted on anything new if you need a beta tester. I'm on a BlackJack II (windows Mobile 6) and used IE Mobile. Image:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

also at m.gamespot.com in any browser.

EDIT: Found a little problem which seems rampant on every mobilized version of a webpage: the images. While I do not mind if images show up or not, the text is still there. This is from a story this past week, with Houser: GTAIV is not Controversial as the title.

Grand Theft Auto IV's hype has just about reached fever pitch. With only days to go until GTAIV's global release, Rockstar's vice president of creative, Dan Houser, spoke to British men's magazine ShortList about the game's development process; the replication of New York as a living, breathing, city; and why GTAIV isn't so controversial after all.

2008/114/GTA_ShortList596_screen.jpg2008/114/GTA_ShortList596_embed.jpgHouser spills the beans in this week's ShortList. (Credit: ShortList.com)
Houser, who cofounded Rockstar with brother Sam Houser, says early on in the interview, "Grand Theft Auto IV will change the way people think about video games...we had to make sure no one thought, 'It's just like the previous one; I could have played this on my old machine.'"

Course, the 2008/Credit ShortList line is the image and caption.

Is that fixable?

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

Hey bgrngod, really glad to hear you are enjoying the mobile site. Definitely let me know any ideas for improvements, especially sections of the site would like to access via mobile that we don't offer currently. megagood

If I could access my Games Wishlist and Game Collection via the mobile site, I think my head would explode. I have such a huge wishlist that I routinely copy from my wishlist into a document on my phone, which requires reformatting a bit and is kind of a pain. Having direct access to my "real" GS Wishlist through my phone would be super rad. I don't throw the word rad around lightly.