Crosstalk Between Gamespot Servers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I was wondering why the URL periodically changes between www.gamespot.com and uk.gamespot.com. Since you're tracking IPs, then your servers should know country of origin, and keep us connected to the fastest server. For example, U.S. members get faster page-loads when not using UK or AU URLs. I can understand the site-specfic content, but for the vast majority of Gamespot's content, your servers should keep us in-country. The faster pages load, the better for all, including your hardware and bandwidth utilization. It's odd when you live in one country, and when you click your Inbox, you're going to an overseas URL. Same thing for forums.

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
I've never really had that problem and I'm in the US. What browser are you using?
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 topsemag55

IE 8.0, but it isn't the browser. It could be geographic location, however. For example, if I click to open my Inbox, if the Status Bar shows "uk." instead of "www.", the time it takes to open is sometimes longer. Not always, but it happens periodically.

Once, when the delay occurred, I quickly went into the Address Bar and changed "uk." to "www." and entered. Page reloaded immediately with "www." displayed.

But the point I'm making is proximity to the server. I'm a lot closer to GS' US server than I am anywhere else, so data flows quicker.

megagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 megagood
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
Hey topsemag55 - the uk vs. www only impacts some of the stuff you see (ads might be different, some pieces of content are promoted differently) - you're almost assuredly hitting the same server regardless, so performance shouldn't be an issue. That said, you shouldn't be bounced to the UK version - the next time this happens, can you provide a detailed outline of how it happened? Thanks.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
I've noticed that if someone gives you a link that is directed to either the AU or UK sites, occasionally some of the links on the site get stuck to that prefix (au/uk) for a while, even if I manually navigate back to the Australian site. I've mainly noticed it happen with the favorite boards.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 topsemag55

Hey topsemag55 - the uk vs. www only impacts some of the stuff you see (ads might be different, some pieces of content are promoted differently) - you're almost assuredly hitting the same server regardless, so performance shouldn't be an issue. That said, you shouldn't be bounced to the UK version - the next time this happens, can you provide a detailed outline of how it happened? Thanks. megagood

Sure thing, megagood. The next time I notice one has occurred I'll get it to you.

Edit: Why is it whenever you report something it stops happening? :P It was like that in the military: as soon as you reported an equipment problem it vanished.

megagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 megagood
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
Hey G013M - sometimes the cookies we use get stuck on a different region. if you delete your GameSpot cookies in your browser, it will take you back what your default site should be.