Can't login to Gamespot site with Firefox, have to use Chrome...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeVeRLiFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 NeVeRLiFt
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

Is there a know bug or issue with Firefox and the site ?

Firefox is my main web browser and would like it if I could login with it.

Otherwise I'm just stick to other gaming sites like IGN and PCGamer for my gaming reviews since Firefox logs into those sites just fine.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#2 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
I can log into GS via firefox without issues - My 1st guess is that you have a script blocker such as noscript and it's blocking needed scripts for the site to work properly. If that's the case, set gamespot.com and gamespotcdn.net to allow in noscript and you should be able to login just fine. Other content filters such as ABP could potentially prevent it from working as well, but I can't imagine any default or otherwise common settings breaking it. The only other cause I can think of atm is cookie settings being wrong, but that would prevent IGN/PCGamer logins from working properly as well most likely.
NeVeRLiFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NeVeRLiFt

NoScript is off and it still does not login, run AdBlock+ and have no problems anywhere with it effecting login.

I don't know why you would blame either addon?

There is a post already with many people claiming Firefox no longer logs into the site since the changes they made to it.

NeVeRLiFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NeVeRLiFt

Just disabled Adblock+ and tested and still Firefox could not login into the site.

Serious you've broken something on your end and until you get it fixed I won't be using this site for my gaming news and reviews.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#5 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
Nonetheless, it works perfectly fine for me and I can't seem to reproduce it beyond blocking certain scripts - which suggests if it is a problem with the site then it's merely incompatibility with certain settings or addons, or region specific; which can be resolved from the user side. I assume the homepage itself loads and you just can't log in, which makes those the most likely culprits. Disallowing cookies would prevent login as well, as would having javascript disabled altogether most likely. If you can't access the site altogether then it's most likely proxy settings or a DNS error that your network/system has yet to flush. Completely clearing the browser cache may help as well - if it's full it may be unable to find space for necessary cookies and other temporary files, preventing the site from working. The only other possibility I can think of is that it's a specific area of the site having issues (region-specific); in which case I can only suggest trying the uk.gamespot.com version of the site to login, logging in from the homepage, as that's working fine for me. An extreme fix attempt would be to make a brand new firefox profile and try that (no addons/default settings/etc), if it's the only browser having issues. Certainly not a 1st attempt fix though. The devs can't fix something if they can't figure out the cause nor reproduce the issue so any extra information is helpful. Especially if none of that resolves the issue.
NeVeRLiFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NeVeRLiFt
Just tested Firefox at uk.gamespot.com and it logins and works like it should. So can you please fix the regular www.gamespot.com so it works also? it's clear you have people that can't login... http://uk.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29337378/login-issues-should-be-resolved-report-here
NeVeRLiFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NeVeRLiFt
And this still has not been fixed.
GunnyHath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 GunnyHath
Member since 2007 • 743 Posts

What exactly happens when you try to log in?

You should try Firefox in "safe mode" (not to be confused with Windows Safe Mode), and see if you can log in.  If so, it's an addon or plugin, most likely.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

As a heavier handed fix you could back up your bookmarks, uninstall Firefox, delete any Mozilla folder in %APPDATA% if remaining,  reinstall Firefox and import your bookmarks.   Essentially starting with a clean slate. 

I've used Firefox exclusively since version 2, and no issues with Gamespot.

Â