Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hobiron
Member since 2014 • 66 Posts

Before i begin here is my full rig:

i7-4790, gtx 770 4gb, asus z97 pro motherboard, 16gb memory, windows 7

I'm having troubles running the game on high settings, i think it's mainly because my resolution is 2K... haven't tried to check how it is with 1080 because i would like to keep it 2k anyway and just lower some more stuff, but i don't know what stuff should i lower without losing too much from the pwetty graphics.

I don't see a lot of fps change from ultra to high so i have no idea what to lower... i turned off nvidia hair because that made my fps around 25.. anything else don't really make any difference so i'm at a loss :\

I don't aim for 60fps, i will be happy if ill get a steady 45-50

would like to get some help, thanks!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@hobiron said:

Before i begin here is my full rig:

i7-4790, gtx 770 4gb, asus z97 pro motherboard, 16gb memory, windows 7

I'm having troubles running the game on high settings, i think it's mainly because my resolution is 2K... haven't tried to check how it is with 1080 because i would like to keep it 2k anyway and just lower some more stuff, but i don't know what stuff should i lower without losing too much from the pwetty graphics.

I don't see a lot of fps change from ultra to high so i have no idea what to lower... i turned off nvidia hair because that made my fps around 25.. anything else don't really make any difference so i'm at a loss :\

I don't aim for 60fps, i will be happy if ill get a steady 45-50

would like to get some help, thanks!

Buy a new high end GPU? SLI that 770 with another 770?

Saidrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Saidrex
Member since 2010 • 1726 Posts

Yeah, game is terribly optimized, you are fine while you play on 900 series, but anything other from Nvidia - it will run just terrible. 100% certainty - Nvidia paid big bag of cash for that, just to sell more 900's. Shame really, downgrade, bad optimization, shady DLC tactics - CDPR is the same as any other company - difference is, they lie about everything better than others.

I play in 1080p, on minimum settings - 30-40fps, my card - 770GTX.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

Nvidia pretty much screwed the 7 series video cards this time around. I heard a 280x is beating a 780ti in performance right now while playing the Witcher 3. >.<

Hobiron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hobiron
Member since 2014 • 66 Posts

Ok that's a shame... :(

I did some more tests, decided to do it on low out of curiosity and the fps was almost the same... makes no sense at all...

I did try to play on 1080p but it looks very bad.. 2k is my screen native resolution...

Plus when i played on 1080 i got 60 fps only when i lowered bunch of stuff, so i rather stick to 2k..

Buying a new card is really not an option...

I get 50~ fps on GTA V with a pretty high setting with 2k resolution

@Saidrex said:

Will need to do the same... we have same cards.. sucks..

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Wait so my i7 3770k 3.5ghz, 16gb ram 1800mhz, gtx 770 4gb 1.19ghz, and a SSd wont run this game 60fps at even just high settings? Like **** I'm going to spend money on this then if my computer which is just below the top teir of cards ($600 card when purchased) of only 2 years ago can't even run it half decently .... WTF happened to this company? Like how does a computer that completely 100% shits on consoles in every way conceivable run it like this? And if what I'm reading is true with exactly the same assets as the xbox one and ps4 version with only Nvidia gameworks differentiating the pc version from them. Go **** yourself CD project red, your last game I will have ever purchased is The witcher 2 and it's staying that way.

I'm done supporting companies that can't take the time to actually make a pc game run on hardware like it is 100% capable of doing. My computer can do far more then what they are saying it can. The game has a clear downgrade, and for sure a lack of support and development time went into the pc. Way to support the PC community. A fucking Titan can't even play this game past 30fps max settings at 1080p. A GPU meant for 4k fucking resolutions that cost over $1000....

Why isn't their a larger shit storm about this? It's downright pathetic such a huge release is even released in a state where my $600 card and can't even keep up with cards worth less then half it's price. How is parity between all platforms besides the addition of game-works not being talked about more?

I'm thinking I've lost all faith in this industry. So sick of this corporate bullshit not present in any other medium of entertainment. Thinking this year might literally be my last year of playing games as a main hobby. It's just not worth the expense when companies can't even take the time to optimize their games to work on hardware the way they should, or the downright anger I feel towards my hobby on a constant basses.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Saidrex said:

Yeah, game is terribly optimized, you are fine while you play on 900 series, but anything other from Nvidia - it will run just terrible. 100% certainty - Nvidia paid big bag of cash for that, just to sell more 900's. Shame really, downgrade, bad optimization, shady DLC tactics - CDPR is the same as any other company - difference is, they lie about everything better than others.

terribly optimized? More likely nvidias newest driver and kepler cards seem to be the culprit here. Playing on a 7850 settings mostly on medium ( textures, detail level and water are on high ) hairworks,AA, blur and sharpening off and using SSAO runs betwenn 35-45 fps. Quite honestly pleasantly surprised how optimized this is ( actually not that surprising given witcher 2 optimization which also was quite good )

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Moved to Hardware

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I haven't played it yet but by the looks of it, "you have to have a GTX 900 series card" to play Witcher 3.

Saidrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By Saidrex
Member since 2010 • 1726 Posts

So far looks like 700 series has low fps in Witcher, even 600 series beats 700 in some cases. Could be driver issue.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@Saidrex said:

So far looks like 700 series has low fps in Witcher, even 600 series beats 700 in some cases. Could be driver issue.

Or straight up planned and implemented obsolescence, put in place to make 700 series card owners wish to upgrade. No reason in hell a 280x is competing with high end overclocked 780's besides a decision to not put effort into optimizing the game to run on such cards. I know I for sure won't be buying a Nvidia card again if $600 (canadian) within two years is given little to zero optimization or support from them.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Chatch09:

Problem is that the game does not correctly use multiple gpu setups and a 280x at 1440p is too much for that gpu.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 04dcarraher

I think I found the problem with Kepler gpu's running worse then Maxwell's and AMD gpu''s able to perform better then Kepler. The graphics engine tessellates a alot of the world, the terrain, water and especially the hair when you use the hairworks. Maxwell architecture is multiple times faster then Kepler when it comes to handling tessellation. Been reading online that AMD users are able to override the tessellation usage in the control panel and it limits the engine from applying the full amount.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 insane_metalist

@Chatch09 said:
@NeoGen85 said:

Nvidia pretty much screwed the 7 series video cards this time around. I heard a 280x is beating a 780ti in performance right now while playing the Witcher 3. >.<

I have dual 280Xs, playing at 1440p, everything off, lowest possible settings, barely playable jumping from 20-50fps....

@insane_metalist said:

I haven't played it yet but by the looks of it, "you have to have a GTX 900 series card" to play Witcher 3.

^Pretty much... although I've heard from a few 290X owners that they're doing fairly good.

I had time to play the game but I tested it with a single card. My settings: single R9 290 @ 1440P, AA off, Nvidia hairworks off, everything else maxed out, running @ 33 fps - 40 fps. So if I enable my second card, I can max everything out no problem.
My friend is running an i5 w/ a 2GB GTX 770 @ 1080P, everything on High settings, Nvidia hairworks off: he's getting steady 40 fps.
It works perfectly fine for both of us.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

Hey guys some advice my cpu is a Phenom II X6 1075TBlack Edition 3.0 GHz, everything else I have is above recommended but this appears to be below Is my assumption right?

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

@insane_metalist said:
@Chatch09 said:
@NeoGen85 said:

I have dual 280Xs, playing at 1440p, everything off, lowest possible settings, barely playable jumping from 20-50fps....

@insane_metalist said:

^Pretty much... although I've heard from a few 290X owners that they're doing fairly good.

I had time to play the game but I tested it with a single card. My settings: single R9 290 @ 1440P, AA off, Nvidia hairworks off, everything else maxed out, running @ 33 fps - 40 fps. So if I enable my second card, I can max everything out no problem.

My friend is running an i5 w/ a 2GB GTX 770 @ 1080P, everything on High settings, Nvidia hairworks off: he's getting steady 40 fps.

It works perfectly fine for both of us.

I don't know what the problem is. Is it because people thought they'd run the game in ultra or at higher resolutions than 1080p? Here's a video of a guy playing on a GTX 480 and it's running pretty smooth considering how old the card is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFCp2oI0Ksg

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 insane_metalist

@Chatch09 said:
@NeoGen85 said:

I don't know what the problem is. Is it because people thought they'd run the game in ultra or at higher resolutions than 1080p? Here's a video of a guy playing on a GTX 480 and it's running pretty smooth considering how old the card is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFCp2oI0Ksg

With the exception of playing at 1440p resolution, I have lower settings than consoles and it still struggles, thats the problem, consolitis. Its a little better now that I've rolled back to 14.12 AMD drivers, averaging about 60fps now but still on lowest possible settings...and yes, I did think we'd be able to run this game over 1080p with high-ultra settings, because pretty much every other game does :/

You could try 15.3 drivers, game runs perfectly fine on 15.3 for me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@musalala said:

Hey guys some advice my cpu is a Phenom II X6 1075TBlack Edition 3.0 GHz, everything else I have is above recommended but this appears to be below Is my assumption right?

I think you'll be fine, though. Some benchmarks show a clear benefit of better CPU, but I'm having no real issues in 1080p Ultra with my Phenom II X4 965BE (higher clock than yours but fewer cores). Indeed, the benchmarks imply the game makes good use of extra cores, so you might do quite well with your Phenom. I think the bigger question is what kind of GPU you're packing

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 04dcarraher

@musalala said:

That X6 sits in the middle of the requirements, it should be fine, now question is the gpu you are using.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By musalala

@xantufrog said:
@musalala said:

I think you'll be fine, though. Some benchmarks show a clear benefit of better CPU, but I'm having no real issues in 1080p Ultra with my Phenom II X4 965BE (higher clock than yours but fewer cores). Indeed, the benchmarks imply the game makes good use of extra cores, so you might do quite well with your Phenom. I think the bigger question is what kind of GPU you're packing

Thanks man, think i'm good i have this Radeon Msi GTX 980 Gaming Overclocked Edition 4GB GDDR5 256Bit , I was going to upgrade my memory to 12 but I think thats a bit of an overkill.

nigeriaforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nigeriaforlife
Member since 2015 • 153 Posts

Never liked Nvidia never will, Never bought pc games never will.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GeryGo  Moderator

@musalala said:
@xantufrog said:
@musalala said:

Thanks man, think i'm good i have this Radeon Msi GTX 980 Gaming Overclocked Edition 4GB GDDR5 256Bit , I was going to upgrade my memory to 12 but I think thats a bit of an overkill.

You mean Nvidia... unless in the past 24 hours Nvidia and ATI merged into one company and I didn't notice =)

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 musalala

@PredatorRules said:
@musalala said:
@xantufrog said:
@musalala said:

You mean Nvidia... unless in the past 24 hours Nvidia and ATI merged into one company and I didn't notice =)

LOL I suck at pc stuff , I called the company that built my gaming PC and sent them my specs and asked what I needed to upgrade, it was overwhelming doing it myself. What always confuses is how do you know when to upgrade, for example the cpu I have says 3.0GHz but witcher 3 needs 3. something GHz I thought i needed to upgrade but apparently no, Which is strange as my rig was built in 2010.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GeryGo  Moderator

@musalala said:
@PredatorRules said:
@musalala said:
@xantufrog said:
@musalala said:

LOL I suck at pc stuff , I called the company that built my gaming PC and sent them my specs and asked what I needed to upgrade, it was overwhelming doing it myself. What always confuses is how do you know when to upgrade, for example the cpu I have says 3.0GHz but witcher 3 needs 3. something GHz I thought i needed to upgrade but apparently no, Which is strange as my rig was built in 2010.

If it's i5 it's a OK, today Ghz should come as close as it can to 4Ghz (Intel CPUs); my 4670 turbo goes up to 3.8Ghz.