This topic is locked from further discussion.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts

Hello, so I have a new I7-4790K on its way, so its time for a new motherboard to go along with it. I'm currently running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, and plan on continuing to use that for the mean time, maybe in the future i'll upgrade it but its good enough for now. I have 8GBs of DDR3. So my question is what motherboard should I go with? main concern is price, I want it to of course be able to take a better video card in the future and 16GB of ram eventually as well. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@fastr:

Any z97 mobo.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@fastr said:

Hello, so I have a new I7-4790K on its way, so its time for a new motherboard to go along with it. I'm currently running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, and plan on continuing to use that for the mean time, maybe in the future i'll upgrade it but its good enough for now. I have 8GBs of DDR3. So my question is what motherboard should I go with? main concern is price, I want it to of course be able to take a better video card in the future and 16GB of ram eventually as well. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Either Z97 or Z87 MOBOs, or else you won't be able to OC that CPU.

Good MOBO for example: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fatal1tyz97killer

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@PredatorRules said:
@fastr said:

Either Z97 or Z87 MOBOs, or else you won't be able to OC that CPU.

Good MOBO for example: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fatal1tyz97killer

Z97. OC on them is better than on Z87 as far as I know.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Z97 mobo would be the best match for your CPU: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 & ASUS Z97-A.