Why AC is better than any Zynga-ville game.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Here's was an interesting vid. I really enjoy The Final Bosman on GT. Prior to E3 he did a great vid on Nintendo and why they're not doomed despite what everyone says but this one talked about Don Matrick's move from Xbox to Zynga but AC gets mentioned about halfway through.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/msvgea/the-final-bosman-why-zynga-games-are-just-the-worst

Mainly it was the comparison of a sim game like AC verses the various "ville" games on FB. Now I'll admit that when I first joined FB, I did play some Farmville and Castleville and they're fine for what they are, flash based time wasters but after a while they get really insidious. Namely that you reach a point where you can't progress much unless you either A) drop cash for stuff or B) Bug your friends endlessly for items.

When FV started allowing non FB friends to friend you in the game was when I really got annoyed with it mainly because this dude in Korea was constantly sending me requests for things and it was the only notifications I got most of the time. Castleville wasn't as bad and I avoided letting non friends join me but both of them got repetitive and made it too hard to advance without spending money or bugging people.

He also compares the Zynga games to gambling and in a way, it is like that and goes on to say that they recently signed a deal to make gambling games in the UK including a Farmville themed slot machine.

His take on AC is interesting. First off, it was originally a game he had no interest in as with a lot of sim games in that he'd rather play something that requires some skill or fighting off an enemy. AC doesn't do that and we all know, there's no skill in AC, No jumping or shooting or problem solving and that's ok because we have other games for that. But he also says, with AC, it has heart and care put into it. Plus no microtransactions though it worries me when I heard Nintendo considering a Free to play AC game down the road. But when compared to EA or Microsoft recently, Nintendo is one of the least scummy in their business practices. Heck, in New Leaf you can go to the post office and ask for a free gift to download.

Anyway you can discuss this. Trying to help make some interesting threads.