How have your experiences with Club Tortimer been?

SuperSmashBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SuperSmashBro1
Member since 2008 • 14243 Posts

When I first got the membership to Club Tortimer,I expected the online to be along the lines of Brawl's online,where you have pretty much no way to chat with the strangers that you see(even though it made sense not to bother with such in that game).

But..first thing when I get to the island,i'm greeted by some pink girl,and found out that the chat feature completely works with random people.Yeah,now I can sort of see why voice chat is absent in this game...

Now,I have to say that it did go well,and me and the person ended up trading friend codes (hint: snap a pic of the code since text bubbles disappear fast) and Miiverse ID's (A part of me honestly wonders if that counts as personal info...),and later a few Japanese speakers poped up since this was worldwide,and apparently japanese is her main language,so she knew how to speak to them.

Oh,and then someone came in after everybody left and was speaking Japanese or something...all he managed to say in english was his name...I have no idea what he was saying,so feel free to translate for me if you know the language:

[spoiler] http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp262/ssbb2/HNI_0085_zps77374cea.jpghttp://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp262/ssbb2/HNI_0086_zps42717e8e.jpg [/spoiler]

Overall,not bad as I was expecting.However,I still have a feeling this won't go so well for every interaction.The main thing is the chat feature,honestly,that made me have a fear of this being like LBP,where a part of the community is totally nice,while over 70% of the community would bring the game to an M rating if ESRB counted online interactions,ruining the child-friendly atmosphere.I like interacting with new people,but not if they're total jerks,that's honestly why I liked doing taunt matches in Brawl with completly mute strangers.

Being curious,I started looking around the internet for anyone who had nasty interactions,I read this,where TC mentions of trolls preventing him from leaving,and later a poster tell's of a time he met a real jerk(read it more for info on that).Or here where TC mentions meeting a guy who told him that he"hates our president and his family is still Confederate and racist."

However,some of those post in those topic's seem like they don't really have any jerks.Plus,I saw a huge topic on this on a  Animal Crossing forum site right here,and,while I read things such as player's scaring away the fish or whatever,I didn't really see anywhere near someone getting an F-bomb dropped on them,most of them actually had pretty great experiences with Japanese players.I'm starting to think maybe playing worldwide more often won't be so bad,it really seems like Japanese player's are nicer.

Although maybe i'm completly overreacting.I suppose because this is this is the first time i've seen this much interaction with strangers in a First-party Nintendo title,and 3DS doesn't even have Miiverse yet.Still,i'm hoping for a patch so you can find players with the same criteria,such as chat disabled,or tours only or that like.I mean,all you need is Kapt'n to be like"Yar,do ye want to only play with silent members?"

With all that said,how has your experience been with players on the Island?

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#2 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

For the most part my online has been pretty stable though I rarely have had more than one visitor at a time to my town. One time I was visiting Ben (aka Nitro here) and he had a visitor and we headed out to the island and after 2 island games, the third one crashed on us and I got the Resetti screen.

Lag isn't too bad and most of the time you only tell if it's laggy by a pause when picking up an item.

I watched Video Game Awesome's playthrough and he was griping about the online but AC is not like an FPS or fighting game, lag here and there really doesn't affect as much like a last minute headshot or KO.

While voice chat would've been nice for this, typing works fine even if you're limited to so many letters per phrase and it shows that slowly but surely, Nintendo's getting the hang of this online thing.

I hope this only improves with the inevitable WiiU version.

But as for jerks online. Many said the reason Nintendo was being so strict with friend codes and no speaking was because of the family friendly image they're trying to maintain and honestly, jerks and trolls will always exist to ruin people's fun and the best you can do is ignore them, make the online realm a lonely place for them. We have to police ourselves and report abusive users and this applies to any online game. We all know this. Luckily the worst trolls are all Xbots playing CoD. lol They don't bother with Animal Crossing because that's "gay baby sh*t"