Square Enix new strategy: fewer but more quality titles, shift to multiplatform releases!

• 100 results
Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#51 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Wow, Sony causing more to lose their jobs from their greed.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9592 Posts

Good... most Square Enix games suck balls these days anyways (not all). Use that money to bring over PC titles to give them a chance on consoles until the console pc merger is complete.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 omegaMaster  Online
Member since 2017 • 3492 Posts

All we want is FF8, 9, 10 remake

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@omegamaster said:

The industry doesn't have enough remasters and remakes, need more, way more.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13087 Posts

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

@Pedro: it’s quite simple, they want to make even more money 😎

Just as it is simple that they are not making enough on PS.😏

Sony's shift to 3rd party is a smart move.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20184 Posts

Everybody blaming Sony like Square doesn't have mobile, Xbox, and Switch exclusives...

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17456 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Everybody blaming Sony like Square doesn't have mobile, Xbox, and Switch exclusives...

I don't think anyone is blaming Sony, they are just trying to secure exclusives for their platform.

Its bad for Square because its like they believed the same thing Sony did, and that is exclusive titles will sell well on Playstation alone..........enough to profit anyway.

The problem is that we live in a challenging world economically, so while this was good PR for Sony, it definitely hurt Square and I'm sure Sony didn't profit in the way that they hoped given that the titles didn't sell or push the platform as only a small portion of the install base bought the games. Sony has always been good and giving fans what they want, and I think they mistake they are making is following the social media/gaming media hype from fanboys that had no intention of buying the games, just want to use them as ammo. How many people on this board hyped those Square games? PS5 exclusives this gen like Returnal and Ratchet? Horizon (sold less than previous game)? Rebirth?

If this was last gen (and I think Sony and Square are/were still living in that world), most of those exclusive games would've sold well and been great PR and revenue for both companies.

The problem is that AAA games aren't selling like they used to and the industry is trying to figure out why. Is it the $70? Lack of innovation and creativity? Sequel exhaustion? Oversaturation? Lack of gameplay?

Anecdotal, but I have a lot of Square (and Sony) games I want to play but refuse to pay day one $70 prices. Yes, it hurts Square (and Sony), but I simply don't have the drive or excitement to play them day one anymore. I'm perfectly fine waiting for the PC releases and for them to go on sale.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#58 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70245 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

What exclusive game Square has on the Xbox?🤔 And out of those exclusives on Switch and mobile, which of those had a budget of Rebirth or 16?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6632 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Of course, a cow would say this lol.

@omegamaster said:

I don't want any of that, you should change that we to an I, please don't speak for me.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Zero_epyon

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

What exclusive game Square has on the Xbox?🤔 And out of those exclusives on Switch and mobile, which of those had a budget of Rebirth or 16?

Obviously they haven't had many recently as they've been skipping Xbox a lot this gen. However, one game that comes to mind is Octopath Traveler. What's interesting about that one is that they launched exclusively on Xbox but then it got ported to switch and PC and skipped PS to this day, despite them releasing part two on everything.

Last gen they had games like Tomb Raider timed exclusive to Xbox when Xbox gave a care about securing third party content for Xbox.

Budgets for whatever other games are irrelevant to the topic of exclusivity.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#61 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

@sargentd said:
@Pedro said:

Final Fantasy poor performance on the PS5 is causing layoffs now.😏

Alot of FF fans here gave texasgold a hard time for calling out poor sales, looks like he's getting the last laugh

HAHAHAHAHA

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:

Obviously they haven't had many recently as they've been skipping Xbox a lot this gen. However, one game that comes to mind is Octopath Traveler. What's interesting about that one is that they launched exclusively on Xbox but then it got ported to switch and PC and skipped PS to this day, despite them releasing part two on everything.

Last gen they had games like Tomb Raider timed exclusive to Xbox when Xbox gave a care about securing third party content for Xbox.

Octopath Traveler is on Switch,Android, and PC. The game was launched initially on Switch (2018) then it was ported to Xbox (2021) then PC.

Tomb raider was timed exclusive 9 years ago, which makes that point of reference for now irrelevant.

Budget is part of the conversation when speaking about exclusivity, after all it is the cause of the shift. You can choose to ignore it you will.🤷🏽‍♂️

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Zero_epyon

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Pedro said:

Octopath Traveler is on Switch,Android, and PC. The game was launched initially on Switch (2018) then it was ported to Xbox (2021) then PC.

Tomb raider was timed exclusive 9 years ago, which makes that point of reference for now irrelevant.

Budget is part of the conversation when speaking about exclusivity, after all it is the cause of the shift. You can choose to ignore it you will.🤷🏽‍♂️

ok

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

Well, actually, I welcome the fact that their franchises, including FF, are being played by more players. In fact, I remember making comments welcoming the expansion of FF14 to the Xbox community, for example. (but I doubt if Xbox will still be around when FF17 comes out, haha).

However, I disagree with some narratives that are quick to assume that this decision is the result of the exclusivity deal with Sony being a failure.

First of all, it was Sony's financial support that made a big project like the FF7 remake trilogy possible. Without it, it would not have been possible at all, at least not on such a large scale.

When FF7Remake came out in 2020 and sold like hotcakes, it helped Square Enix to have one of the most profitable years of their finances.

Also, according to their financial reports, the decrease in profits is also due to the large losses from game cancellations and other segments such as MMOs and mobile. If anything, FF16 and FF7Rebirth made up for that loss by contributing to sales and still turning a profit. So to call them a flop is factually incorrect.

That being said, it is quite conceivable that they will gain more profit and audience by going multi-platform (in fact, they have already done so with most of the major franchises, such as DQ, KH, Nier, LIS, etc.). Also, FF16 and FF7Rebirth are great games and it would be nice to see them enjoyed by a wider audience.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Pedro

@st_monica said:

Well, actually, I welcome the fact that their franchises, including FF, are being played by more players. In fact, I remember making comments welcoming the expansion of FF14 to the Xbox community, for example. (but I doubt if Xbox will still be around when FF17 comes out, haha).

However, I disagree with some narratives that are quick to assume that this decision is the result of the exclusivity deal with Sony being a failure.

First of all, it was Sony's financial support that made a big project like the FF7 remake trilogy possible. Without it, it would not have been possible at all, at least not on such a large scale.

When FF7Remake came out in 2020 and sold like hotcakes, it helped Square Enix to have one of the most profitable years of their finances.

Also, according to their financial reports, the decrease in profits is also due to the large losses from game cancellations and other segments such as MMOs and mobile. If anything, FF16 and FF7Rebirth made up for that loss by contributing to sales and still turning a profit. So to call them a flop is factually incorrect.

That being said, it is quite conceivable that they will gain more profit and audience by going multi-platform (in fact, they have already done so with most of the major franchises, such as DQ, KH, Nier, LIS, etc.). Also, FF16 and FF7Rebirth are great games and it would be nice to see them enjoyed by a wider audience.

Can you share a link to Sony financial support being the sole reason for FF7 remake existing?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#66 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9737 Posts

It should be a win-win situation for Square Enix and everyone. Just release their games on everything if they can. They have to make great games.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2149 Posts

They should try a strategy where they don't release a 2 year old game at 79€ on PC if they want actual sales.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 st_monica

@Pedro:

Can you share a link to Sony financial support being the sole reason for FF7 remake existing?

Well, I wouldn't say it was the "sole reason", but it's obvious that Square Enix signed a console exclusivity deal with Sony when they greenlit the FF7remake project. Even if the amount isn't disclosed, it's self-evident that Sony's financial support was one of the major factors in getting Square Enix on board for such a huge undertaking and making it possible to the extent that it is. But if you say otherwise, feel free to share a "link" to it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56353 Posts

@omegamaster said:

Oh come on, it's too much😒

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#70  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17456 Posts
@st_monica said:

@Pedro:

Well, I wouldn't say it was the "sole reason", but it's obvious that Square Enix signed a console exclusivity deal with Sony when they greenlit the FF7remake project. Even if the amount isn't disclosed, it's self-evident that Sony's financial support was one of the major factors in getting Square Enix on board for such a huge undertaking and making it possible to the extent that it is. But if you say otherwise, feel free to share a "link" to it.

If Sony had funded it, they would also be the publisher.

Sony has never funded a game that they didn't then go on to publish, which makes sense when you think about it. Why fund a game if you can't have publishing rights?

Sony has never had to fully fund games from Square to secure exclusivity because it was always mutually beneficial....until this gen

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 st_monica

@navyguy21 said:
@st_monica said:

@Pedro:

If Sony had funded it, they would also be the publisher.

Sony has never funded a game that they didn't then go on to publish, which makes sense when you think about it. Why fund a game if you can't have publishing rights?

Sony has never had to fully fundgames from Square to secure exclusivity because it was always mutually beneficial....until this gen

Well, to be clear, I am not saying that Sony took a publisher-like position and ”fully funded” the FF7 remake project.

What I am saying is that Sony helped Square Enix fund the project through a console exclusivity deal, and together they increased the budget so that the remake project, which would have been difficult, much smaller, or never come to light if it had been done by Square Enix alone, could be done on the scale that it is now. This is mutually beneficial, as long as Sony boosting console sales and Square Enix securing a large AAA budget.

You don't necessarily have to be a publisher when funding through a console exclusivity deal. For example, MS paid Square Enix a huge amount of money back in 2014 to give Rise of Tomb Raider a timed exclusive on the Xbox One. It helped fund and develop the game, but MS is not its publisher. Something similar apparently happened on a larger scale with the FF7 remake project between Sony and Square Enix is my point.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1925 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Poo cows. lol :P

Bruh, I can't with that crying picture. LMFAO!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8505 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yeah, good luck with that.

You do know that i am the one supposed to make fun of the Japanese Ubisoft, right? Stay in your lane, they're mine.

Keep following me and one day you will be amking fun of Sony too, especially NDs and SSMs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Pedro

@st_monica said:

@Pedro:

I am not the one making the claim you are and you are adding to your pre-existing claim. You are the one who needs to demonstrate that "Without it (Sony's funding), it would not have been possible at all, at least not on such a large scale."

What I find more baffling is that you believe SquareEnix doesn't have the funding to make games like FFVII Remake and 16 without Sony or external investment.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yeah, good luck with that.

You do know that i am the one supposed to make fun of the Japanese Ubisoft, right? Stay in your lane, they're mine.

Keep following me and one day you will be amking fun of Sony too, especially NDs and SSMs.

This is why i am in charge of the Japanese Ubisoft and not you. No sane person would shit talk ND and their incredible talent.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 st_monica
@Pedro said:
@st_monica said:

@Pedro:

I am not the one making the claim you are and you are adding to your pre-existing claim. You are the one who needs to demonstrate that "Without it (Sony's funding), it would not have been possible at all, at least not on such a large scale."

What I find more baffling is that you believe SquareEnix doesn't have the funding to make games like FFVII Remake and 16 without Sony or external investment.

Well, remember back in 2015 when FF7Remake was announced? People said "they finally hit the panic button".

They had been struggling to make FF15 for years. Likewise, DQ11 and KH3 were still in development hell. FF14 and other mobile games were not yet generating the steady revenue they are now. Their stock price was even more critical than it is now.

They even had to set a financial safety net by signing a timed exclusivity deal with MS for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Why? Because they could not take big risks under those circumstances.

If you think about it, it is quite reasonable to assume that one of the main reasons they were able to take big risks on the FF7R trilogy project back then was because of their exclusive deal with Sony, that is their financial backing. I don't think there's anything baffling about it. (FF16 might be a different situation, though.)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Pedro

@st_monica said:

Well, remember back in 2015 when FF7Remake was announced? People said "they finally hit the panic button".

They had been struggling to make FF15 for years. Likewise, DQ11 and KH3 were still in development hell. FF14 and other mobile games were not yet generating the steady revenue they are now. Their stock price was even more critical than it is now.

They even had to set a financial safety net by signing a timed exclusivity deal with MS for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Why? Because they could not take big risks under those circumstances.

If you think about it, it is quite reasonable to assume that one of the main reasons they were able to take big risks on the FF7R trilogy project back then was because of their exclusive deal with Sony, that is their financial backing. I don't think there's anything baffling about it. (FF16 might be a different situation, though.)

I like hard evidence from reliable sources. If you are speculating that is fine but speculations aren't facts.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 texasgoldrush

Confirmed

FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth failed to meet expectations.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45408 Posts

All I know is, FF16 and FF7 Rebirth especially, were great games. Looking forward to the last game in the installment!

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16591 Posts

Consumers have spoken. There's simply not that many out there dumb enough to pay $70 for SE over milked franchise that is nothing but big and bloated and doesn't really provide a unique experience.

Even the cows aren't dumb enough and there's plenty of dumb cows out there. Sony is running out of money hatting funds, and SE tucking tail and going back to multiplat. Real laughable joke. Jokes on SE because I didn't give 2 shits about their games when they were exclusive on Playstation and won't care when they're multiplat either.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 omegaMaster  Online

@davillain said:
@omegamaster said:

Oh come on, it's too much😒

It is. But imagine it happened in our lifetime!

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 omegaMaster  Online
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Consumers have spoken. There's simply not that many out there dumb enough to pay $70 for SE over milked franchise that is nothing but big and bloated and doesn't really provide a unique experience.

Even the cows aren't dumb enough and there's plenty of dumb cows out there. Sony is running out of money hatting funds, and SE tucking tail and going back to multiplat. Real laughable joke. Jokes on SE because I didn't give 2 shits about their games when they were exclusive on Playstation and won't care when they're multiplat either.

Do you think Tetsuya Nomura part of the problem? Games like KH3 and FF7 remakes have been disappointing at times, especially the storyline, it can be bloody confusing.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 omegaMaster  Online
@hardwenzen said:
@omegamaster said:

The industry doesn't have enough remasters and remakes, need more, way more.

You do have a point. Wish Square-Enix were in the Squaresoft days

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 omegaMaster  Online
@last_lap said:
@omegamaster said:

I don't want any of that, you should change that we to an I, please don't speak for me.

99% of us want FF8, 9, 10 remake :D

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6632 Posts

@omegamaster: You should create a thread with a poll asking that very question. The results might surprise you.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#86  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19679 Posts

About time. Still waiting for FF16 and FF7 Rebirth to arrive on Steam.

They should've gone multi-platform a generation ago. They should be following Capcom's lead:

Capcom Is Making More Money Than Ever Before

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 texasgoldrush

FFVII Rebirth's problems are lack of interest, not that it isn't multiplatform. Same with FFXVI.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#88 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19679 Posts

@texasgoldrush: Yet FFXVI had the biggest PS5 exclusive launch. This would mean the real problem is that PS5 exclusives just don't sell. This is why Sony are now launching first-party games on PC at the same time.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 omegaMaster  Online

@texasgoldrush said:

FFVII Rebirth's problems are lack of interest, not that it isn't multiplatform. Same with FFXVI.

It's both.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45408 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

Nope, Fans and Critics agree, it’s a great game!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PC_Rocks

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

This is why i am in charge of the Japanese Ubisoft and not you. No sane person would shit talk ND and their incredible talent.

TLOU2 MP says hi.

DOn't worry, young padawan, you will join the dark side soon.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Nope, Fans and Critics agree, it’s a great game!

Sales disagree.🤭

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

TLOU2 MP says hi.

Who cares about its multiplayer, it would've been a GaaS game ruining the studio because they'd be making skin and dumbshit battle passes instead of highest production SINGLEPLAYER games the gaming industry has ever seen.

There's nothing to join. Unless this studio dies like Bioware and Bungie, i will always play their bangers.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 PC_Rocks

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

TLOU2 MP says hi.

Who cares about its multiplayer, it would've been a GaaS game ruining the studio because they'd be making skin and dumbshit battle passes instead of highest production SINGLEPLAYER games the gaming industry has ever seen.

There's nothing to join. Unless this studio dies like Bioware and Bungie, i will always play their bangers.

No, it was a thing they spent almost 7-8 years working on and it was so sh*t that they didn't even release it. I wish it was released so I can laugh at the meme made by them. On going support is just an excuse they used to hide behind instead of saying we are clueless.

As I predicted, it would have made 343 and DICE look competent.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#95  Edited By Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2258 Posts

Maybe they should stop producing games that are so expensive that even 5 million copies sold is considered a failure…🙄🙄

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#96 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1186 Posts

It would probably be smart for them to be making Switch versions and mobile versions like they did with FF15.

Maybe they also eed to get closer to the roots of Final Fantasy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By hardwenzen
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

TLOU2 MP says hi.

No, it was a thing they spent almost 7-8 years working on and it was so sh*t that they didn't even release it. I wish it was released so I can laugh at the meme made by them. On going support is just an excuse they used to hide behind instead of saying we are clueless.

you need to calm yo tits, they were most certainly creating a standard pvp game mode, jimbo ryan told them to transform the game into a live service, they failed at doing so because they're singleplayer focused group, and that's that.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 PC_Rocks

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

you need to calm yo tits, they were most certainly creating a standard pvp game mode, jimbo ryan told them to transform the game into a live service, they failed at doing so because they're singleplayer focused group, and that's that.

Pretty sure that's not what happened. Less than a year from cancellation Neil Druckmann was hyping it saying how close it's to the finish line and how special it is. He would have kept his mouth shut if it going through development hell or changed directions. They had an internal focus test and the results told them how sh*t it was so they canned it.

They failed at it because they can't do gameplay and in MP you can't hide behind production values.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:

Pretty sure that's not what happened. Less than a year from cancellation Neil Druckmann was hyping it saying how close it's to the finish line and how special it is. He would have kept his mouth shut if it going through development hell or changed directions. They had an internal focus test and the results told them how sh*t it was so they canned it.

They failed at it because they can't do gameplay and in MP you can't hide behind production values.

That's just the typical pr horseshit everyone does. He hyped the game he was producing, obviously. And saying that TLOU2 has shit gameplay is more ridiculous than saying that gow2018 has a shit story. You need to wake up, hermit. You were right on Starfield, but i have played TLOU2 for over 70h, i know very well how its gameplay is, and compared to other third person survival/stealth games, its unmatched. In fact, even compared to any other third person shooter, nobody is close, and that includes RE4R which is pretty good gameplay wise.