Are you optimistic, pessimistic, or indifferent on the future of gaming?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you optimistic, pessimistic, or indifferent on the future of gaming? (54 votes)

Optimistic 35%
Pessimistic 39%
Indifferent 26%

I’m optimistic. I‘m excited for the Switch 2. The original Switch managed to last 7+ years on hardware that people considered underpowered when it launched lol. It still managed to deliver some of the best games of the generation; Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. It also managed to be a good 3rd party machine as long as you aren’t expecting amazing graphics or performance for that matter lol. The Switch 2 has a lot of potential to be even better with better hardware. I’m still optimist about Sony. The PS5 is a great console, but we still haven’t seen what it can achieve when the true next gen first party titles come around. And now it’s under new leadership that I think will bring back the focus to being a gamers console. As for Xbox, I’m not sure.. it sure sounds like Microsoft has aspirations to be a third party, and the Xbox will stick around just for the nostalgists. It will be Microsofts version of a Steam machine, basically lol. As for PC, I’m excited for the portable segment. It seems competitive which can only mean good things for gamers.

What about you, SW? Are you optimistic, pessimistic, or indifferent on the future of gaming?

• 
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6700 Posts

Take a guess.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1268 Posts

Indifferent. I don't spend enough time playing games anymore, or staying up to date on gaming news like I once did as a young adult. It's not that I don't have the time, I am single after all. I just enjoy living my life rather than being a hermit. :) Personally. I'm not speaking of gamers in general.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#3 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6108 Posts

I feel gaming has gotten down hill recently,to many remakes and remasters and not nearly enough of new IP’s,good quality sequel’s,good story,storytelling has been done a billion times over between tv,movies and gaming and books included. I personally think the future of gaming will be incredibly stale in the near future.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1280 Posts

Indifferent cos gaming is not only AAA for me.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4273 Posts

I’m indifferent. I miss the older eras of gaming.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts

Optimistic!

I've been playing video games since the early 90's, and really a serious gamer since the late 90's.

I've seen a lot of change--some good, some bad, but mostly just change in general--but like the great Dr. King said "The curve of video games is long, but it bends towards improvement!"

Things are far, far, FAR more fun than they have ever been.

Most of that is due to the awesome small-scale and independent developers out there.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44538 Posts

Optimistic. The fact that I’ve been an avid gamer for over 45 years and still find tons of great games to play these days leaves me to believe that things will be just fine for the foreseeable future.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Shitty devs will keep releasing garbage games that get nuked on the socials. Good devs will keep releasing good games. No reason to be pessimistic or indiference. Filter through garbage, and gaming ain't dead whatsoever.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Last_Lap

@mrbojangles25: "Things are far, far, FAR more fun than they have ever been."

I'm the total opposite, Games from the 90's feel way more fun than today's offerings.

The majority of games are sold at full price then they unload a mountain of stuff to buy on the digital marketplaces, stuff we used to get for free.

Back in the 90's you would be rewarded with extra characters, cars, stages, clothes etc for beating the game. Now they just sell it to you.

Once gaming became popular it's just been monetised to the ****.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2680 Posts

At this rate the only popular video games for the next 10+ years will be the same games folks have been playing the past 10 years. GTA, Fortnite, COD, Minecraft. Publishers are gonna burn everything else to the ground trying to replicate these games. The future looks real iffy

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Optimistic, always new games coming out I wanna play.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70393 Posts

Very optimistic. The industry is shifting to multi-platform and some gamers are kicking and screaming because of the shift. What else can I ask for.😊

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

Very pessimistic

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1274 Posts

Optimistic. Almost all games from the beginning are available, more ways to play like mobile, VR, Steam Deck, Streaming, etc. More ways to publish, distribute, and reach gamers. We have access to more games than ever, and there are too many games to play. There is an appreciation for gaming history and people care about things like Atari 50 and Rare Replay. Game development is more accessible, from more schooling options to development suites to funding and publishing opportunity.

There's a lot to be happy about.

OddballTECH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#15 OddballTECH
Member since 2005 • 7905 Posts

There is plenty to be hopeful about

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16597 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: very optimistic because of xbox and gamepass. While Sony is busy milking remasters, remakes, MS is pushing gaming forward into the future. Nintendo makes good games but they scam people. MS is simply the best.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21706 Posts

Indifferent. I can't think of anything to be overly excited for, but I'm not going to stop playing either.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25059 Posts

Aa long as Im getting next Doom, Stalker 2, 007 game by IO. And some other good shit Im indifferent.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1272 Posts

It depends on what happens from all these massive layoffs. If we see new studios popping up and/or smaller ones expanding then there could be some hope of it being less shitty in the future.

But being pessimistic is the more sensible approach

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16041 Posts

Optimistic. The industry is steadily growing and I think that's great. I find that indie games are a breath of fresh air. Not every game has to have a huge budget behind it.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2092 Posts

Somewhere between optimistic and indifferent tbh, if the trend remains towards less exclusivity and more options agnostic of platform then 100% positive, if we see pushback and a retreat to older models then I wouldn't even call that negative overall I just would end up spending less so indifferent.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#22 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2603 Posts

I dunno why, but I'm feeling kinda optimistic right now.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46648 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Optimistic!

I've been playing video games since the early 90's, and really a serious gamer since the late 90's.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1932 Posts

@sonny2dap said:

Somewhere between optimistic and indifferent tbh, if the trend remains towards less exclusivity and more options agnostic of platform then 100% positive, if we see pushback and a retreat to older models then I wouldn't even call that negative overall I just would end up spending less so indifferent.

I'm about here as well. I'm optimistic for more ways to game, Indie developers getting in on the fun and growing, and new ideas being thrown in the ring. Though I'm nervous about this trend towards live gaming, and the massive layoffs due to bloated budgets and hardcore gaming not growing.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Many of you gamers have no idea how good you have it and how it will only get better in the future. ;o

For gaming that is. The rest of your world is getting all f'ed up. lol :P

Mass psychosis formation is real.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34766 Posts

Both. Games are becoming more and more advanced, and I'm eager to see future videogames.

I also worry predatory business practices will become worse. It has already made me play way fewer AAA games than I did in the past, and if it worsens, I might stop buying AAA games altogether. Which is lame for me since I want to play big budget games sometimes but not be agressively milked, and it's lame for the companies to never get my money.

I also dislike subscription services, and I don't think those will decelerate either. MS is probably looking into making PC gamers pay for online gaming as we speak..

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrbojangles25

@SecretPolice said:

...it will only get better in the future. ;o

For gaming that is. The rest of your world is getting all f'ed up. lol :P

Mass psychosis formation is real.

Give them bread and give them circuses and the people will never revolt!

So keep the Doritos- and Mt. Dew-sponsored video game content coming I guess 😁🤣😂😥😯😢

@SecretPolice said:

Many of you gamers have no idea how good you have it and how it will only get better in the future. ;o

Whenever I feel cynical or negative or pessimistic or whatever, I always do a mental exercise to get myself out of my funk. And that usually involves me asking myself: are you better now than you were 5-10 or 20 years ago? What would a "young you" say about all this?

So, what would a 10-15 year old me say about this? What would me from 20-30 years ago say?

Well, if you would have told me that my beloved Half-Life of 1998 would eventually get a prequel game in something called "Virtual Reality" and that VR headsets would be affordable, he'd be ecstatic.

If you would have told him that video games would grow so large they couldn't fit on a DVD, he'd be shocked...and that shock would be replaced with wonder that a game the size of 20 DVD's could be downloaded in an hour or two.

If you would have told me from 20 years ago that we'd get amazing Dungeons and Dragons games...that'd I'd discover a franchise called "Total War" that not only had fantasy aspects, but also sci-fantasy franchise as well, he'd shit his pants.

If you would have told me from 15 years ago when I was being paid $11/hr I could subscribe to various publishers for a cheap fee and play unlimited games, I'd be ecstatic.

So yeah there's a lot to be happy about. Nostalgia is all well and good, but don't let it get in the way of facts.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59314 Posts

Gaming is doomed.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9898 Posts

I think it will be better. Smaller developers will get increasingly more powerful tools. Just look at what Unteal engine is doing for animations in 3D. Then generative AI will help indie-devs with full voice acting, music etc.

What I’m saying is that I think we will get games of the scope of say Max Payne, or Prince of Persia (in 3d) made by really small teams.

That would be huge as we would get way more variety and genres that are not profitable in the AAA - space would get a resurgence.

That’s what I’m hoping anyway 😁!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

High five!!! :D

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25

@uninspiredcup said:

Gaming is doomed.

I don't know about doomed but I think the nature of it has changed and we just need to get used to seeing beloved franchises get eaten up and spit out over time.

The flip side is we have an industry full of professionals that gain some good skills working at soulless corporations that then branch out, establish their own studios, and make some better quality, niche, independent titles.

It's weird and I'd like to see large AAA publisher-developers do better but I think it is working out well overall. At least on PC. If I owned a console and was a serious gamer I'd have given up at this point lol.

We need to do better as consumers; I know us on System Wars are not representative of the gaming masses but the whole trend of gamers migrating towards free-to-play and microtransactions is disheartening. Would love to see some government regulation both in the US and abroad to diminish this predatory practice.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#32  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17904 Posts

Indifferent. You look at all the mistakes being made in the AAA space and it brings you down, but then you look at all the good contributions by indies and it brings you back up again. We never had access to so many great tools and resources to make games like we do now. Devs and publishers need to figure shit out and put them to good use.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20239 Posts

I'm indifferent at the moment.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#34  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2980 Posts

I'm kind of pessimistic. I'm tired of the industry just peddling new hardware all the time. I also can't find many games to be hyped about.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Optimistic, always. My personal favorite time for gaming is gen 6, but that's not to say it's all doomed. There is still more good stuff being made now than I will ever have time to play. The layoffs right now are bad, but will probably lead to more experienced talent in the indie space. AAA may even have a crash at some point, but there will always be people making games, and they have more avenues for distribution than ever.

Gaming has changed, much of it for the worse, but there is still a lot to be excited about.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts

I'm indifferent at the moment... Mostly because we have a healthy indie scene that means developers are making games and selling them to gamers without the influence of out of touch publically owned corporations who see games as dollar signs only.

Meaning, if AAA games fail, and i believe this model will fail, we lose nothing but bad games, poor ideas, and awful tactics to gouge us. We lose unfinished games and a lack of innovation. If AAA games fail, we lose nothing but the cesspool these corporations set up for us. If they choose to rebuild it better than we will benefit... Thankfully, indie means fresh ideas are at the ready so any storm can be weathered.

There are times I look at these decisions and think, "how can they be effing up something that seems so easy to succeed with...?" but maybe we're just not there customers anymore.... The key is to find those who make the games you like to play and ignore the rest.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45484 Posts

Woohoo!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#38 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70393 Posts

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

In Nintendo and Indies I Trust.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

In Nintendo and Indies I Trust.

I kinda forgot that i used to stalk you daily. My bad.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13102 Posts

I am optimistic that Hardwenzen will get a PS or Xbox one day.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 291 Posts

Indifferent not that there isn't anything interesting to try ,there is but I've become more chooses as time prograsses

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts

@Pedro said:

Interesting! Digital sales are becoming more pronounced every quarter for Nintendo. I own a switch and roughly 60 or so games since launch. I own 3 physical switch games... Botw, totk and Mario odyssey. The rest were digital downloads. I only purchased physical because my son wanted to play them on his switch as well.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1274 Posts

@TheEroica: I hope they (and all other consoles and digital storefronts) will adopt family sharing of digital games the way Valve is doing it

Family Sharing enables up to 5 family members to play games from other family members' libraries, even if they are online playing another game.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Last_Lap

I'm surprised pessimistic is winning the vote, I guess there are a lot of others here sick of current gaming and the way it's heading in the future like I am.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45484 Posts

@last_lap: either that or you created 20 accounts just for this poll

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Last_Lap

@SolidGame_basic: Did you vote optimistic, well with no Sony games coming for over a year and no announcement of any new games at all, no show at the summer games fest, you too should be pessimistic, but I guess indoctrination is quite a strong thing to break.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

@hardwenzen: That's because you started to finally see the light and knew that I was right 😉

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23992 Posts

Optimistic.

AAA might be going nowhere, but the indie scene is picking up fast.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#50 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59314 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Gaming is doomed.

I don't know about doomed but I think the nature of it has changed and we just need to get used to seeing beloved franchises get eaten up and spit out over time.

The flip side is we have an industry full of professionals that gain some good skills working at soulless corporations that then branch out, establish their own studios, and make some better quality, niche, independent titles.

It's weird and I'd like to see large AAA publisher-developers do better but I think it is working out well overall. At least on PC. If I owned a console and was a serious gamer I'd have given up at this point lol.

We need to do better as consumers; I know us on System Wars are not representative of the gaming masses but the whole trend of gamers migrating towards free-to-play and microtransactions is disheartening. Would love to see some government regulation both in the US and abroad to diminish this predatory practice.

One thing do like now compared to ye old days is how less focused pc gaming is now on "le killer hardware", pc gamers are playing far more diverse games would guess.

Remember the 90s and early 2000's where it was dickheads jerking off their graphics card. This still exists but far more mitigated now. A kid booting up a pc now compared to when I was a kid is more than likely to play some fucking, indie game word of mouth, with no marketing than some boner Geforce GTX 35489 neon lights WOW game.