...bejeweled with elephants. Cute, familiar, low-pressure puzzler.

User Rating: 7.5 | Zoo Keeper DS
Picked this one up used, and haven't had much of a chance to play it yet. The reason for that is, as I was putting together a sandwich, my female counterpart, lured by the cute squelchy sounds, picked up my DS and began to play. That was several days ago. She's still playing. I see no signs of letdown any time soon. She's hooked.

Of course, bejeweled is a fun game, but include lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) and you have what appears to be a home run with a certain crowd. As a puzzler, it doesn't require you exercise your thumbs in anticipation of frenetically-paced action. No, the animals sit there, patiently waiting for you to arrange them, while a time bar slowly dwindles down until you make a three-animal match, causing a bit of time to be added to the bar.
The good news is, this is a puzzle game that won't cause your blood pressure to skyrocket. The bad news is, this is a puzzle game that rarely approaches any resemblance to excitement, other than when the timer drops perilously low. Of course, the timed mode adds a bit of excitement, but the basic gameplay is relatively easy to become comfortable with, resulting in an enjoyable but ultimately repetitive game, regardless of the mode you choose.
That said, it is easy enough on the eyes and ears that you will not even notice that the sun has set, the cats have taken to hunting for their food, and that project you had to get done by the day after tomorrow now needs to get done by today. For a light-hearted and relatively mindless way to pass the time, you could do far worse.