For a portable it is not THAT bad

User Rating: 4 | Konjiki no Gash Bell!! Unare! Yuujou no Zakeru GBA
It simply isn't as good as it could.
The game follows the story of the Konjiki No Gashbell anime(I guess), being from Japan, it is bound to be full of marketable stuff. So, the story, from what I could gather, is that you play as this kid, Kiyo, who somehow get's some kind of Magic Doll, who he can control with a spellbook. It's not the sharpest story, but it sets up the game, and being a fighting game, story is not the main focus.

The game has a decent set of modes, although they all feel roughly the same, and since the gameplay is not particularily interesting, it can get quite dull at times. The game lets you choose from about 12 teams, each team has different attacks, so, luckily, you don't feel like you are playing the same character, albeit sprite swapped, and that is a good thing. The bad thing, is how limited everything is. You have one attack button, and using the R as a "modifier" you can pull off stunts, just like specials, about 3 or 4 per character, who deal a LOT of damage and are easy to spam, if you have the right amount of energy left. Now here is one gripe.... with specials, sure, you could use the level 1 spell...but if you have spare energy, you can simply charge it, the thing is, you could use ALL the energy bar, and the attack wouldn't have powered up THAT much, regardless, specials dish out a lot more damage than normal attacks, so....

The graphics are nice, very colourful and decently animated, although backgrounds are nothing special, they look decent. The sound is good, but the music is not exactly a masterpiece.

Even though the way I have typed may seem as if I hared the game, I actually like it, despite it's shortcomings. Because you see, it's simplicity works great, since it is a portable game, you don't have to put much thought into it, and just hammer X away. All in all, the game is more entertaining than it seems, yet it is not a product for anyone.