Yes! Dreams Do Come True...

User Rating: 8 | XCOM: Enemy Unknown X360

Being a fan of the original XCOM, I have been dreaming of a modern day revival of the franchise. However, it had to stay true to the franchise and it couldn't be all flash and substance. I wanted it all! A solid strategy game and, the graphical achievements of the modern day to back it up. I didn't want one thing over the other. I wanted the total package. I got what I asked for but it is not perfect. Let me get this out the way now... The game has bugs and glitches every now and then but, nothing major enough to ruin the experience of playing the game. They are just minor things that take you out of the game immersion for a second. But, you can quickly fall back into it. All of you who know about the past XCOM games will feel right at home with the story. Aliens invade, humans panic, the government gives the XCOM project a green light as a response to the alien threat and you are the commander of the whole thing. And when I say you are in charge of the whole thing, I mean it! You have final say over the research, engineering, recruitment, upgrades and, more. The base management is a big part of the game since if you miss manage your base you risk the collapse of the XCOM project and the entire civilization of man. Game over if more than half of your supporters bail on you. And on harder difficulty settings, that is a possibility. Once you play on classic or higher, the kid gloves come off! That alone brings back memories of the past XCOM games... in the worst way! You must learn what is more important to you at the time. And please keep the more experienced soldiers you have ALIVE! That is easier said than done, but trusts me... After a while you start to get attached to the soldiers you recruited. Not to mention that are almost totally customizable. So watching a soldier you personally named rise up in rank and, have his or her own personal nickname, get smoked by a muton, that got luck with a grenade toss, hurts you in more ways than one. And on higher difficulties, you can't go back to a previous save for help. Don't be afraid to just realize that you are in over your head and decide to abort the mission all together because too many of your squad is dead or dying and the enemy outnumbers of over powers you. You only get a maximum squad size of 6 So, mission abortions can happen on higher difficulties. That and the single base you own is a change for the past XCOM games. In the past XCOM games you could have a squad of 12 or more and you could manage several bases over the planet. But this simplification is a welcome change. It prevents management less of a chore. I touched on this a little bit before, in the beginning, you are mainly focusing on staying alive. Honestly, the first time you play will be a little rough. But after you get a feel for the game and, have a clear goal of what you need to do, you will do better. You will do even better on your second of third play through... Even on higher difficulty settings! Once you get the Plasma tech and research and develop the Psionics, you will start to have even more loads of fun. Some people say that this genre of game is a dinosaur that needs to go extinct... But whether you are playing the PS3, 360 or the PC version of the near masterpiece of a game, you will learn that if the game is done right, This genre is far from being extinct. Let's give a round of applause to Firaxis!