Given some similarities in visual style and combat, it's easy to label Foregone as a Dead Cells-like. Developer Big Blue Bubble doesn't shy away from the comparison; it only credits the hit roguelike for part of its DNA. The studio began by making a more traditional level-based Metroidvania and then took inspiration for the controlled combat chaos from Dead Cells. Still, the world is a set map with more traditional progression.
The game is in early access now, and the world is being built out as it remains in development, but it's already a visual treat. A post-processing filter placed over 3D models gives it the distinct look of highly-polished sprite artwork with the smooth animation of 3D renders. That helps make the combat feel quick and responsive, and the persistent progression mixed with loot drops help encourage exploration and farming high-level enemies.
You can watch us take down one of the game's bosses in the video above. It's one of many action-packed experiences we had at PAX East 2020.
PAX East 2020 PIN
- 5 Awesome Games You May Not Know About
- 20 Minutes Of Animal Crossing: New Horizons Co-op Gameplay (Off-Screen)
- How Larian Studios Hopes To Transcend Baldur's Gate 3's Legacy
- Borderlands 3 New Lovecraft-Themed DLC Sees The Return Of BL2's Gaige
- Every Secret From The Baldur's Gate 3 Opening Cinematic
- The Games Of PAX East 2020 -- Animal Crossing, Streets Of Rage 4, And Doom Eternal
- PAX East And Other PAX Events Will Go Forward Amid Coronavirus Concerns
- The Mayor Of Boston Is Urging Sony To Return To PAX East
- Square Enix Scales Back Final Fantasy 14 PAX East Plans Over Coronavirus
- Another Major Game Company Scales Back PAX Presence, As Capcom Announces Changes