Great Story and Characters

User Rating: 8 | Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York LNX

Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York does a fantastic job of using the Masquerade universe and lore to center the story around. It will be easy enough for newcomers to grasp as it has a glossary for terms but still has enough for those who know more already. The characters were well done and I was enjoying the story up until the end. The game does a good job of giving you choices over when to feed or not; when to use violence or not and who to befriend or not. It could have been better in some ways though. The ending itself was too sudden and left too many unanswered questions. It also made most of the middle part of the game, which is forming your own coterie, kind of pointless as you never get to interact with these new friends much. The music was pretty good aside from one weird part where there was silence. The art and backgrounds was fantastic and possibly the only time I have seen a visual novel use dynamic backgrounds.

I played Coteries of New York on Linux. It never crashed on me and I didn’t notice any spelling errors. The game uses the Unity engine. The game auto saves on every page and overwrites the one save. You can have up to 3 save games going at once but you can’t use more than the one slot for any one play through. This makes it near impossible to see where certain choices go as you would have to replay the whole game to try things out. I played version 1.06F1 of the game from GOG.

Disk Space Used: 2.9 GB

VRAM Usage: 1971-2022 MB

CPU Usage: 3-7 %

RAM Usage: 2.6-3 GB

Overall even with the poor save system and the rushed ending the game is still a lot of fun and does a great job with characters and atmosphere. I finished my first play through in 4 hours 20 minutes. I paid $22.79 CAD for it and feel that is a fair price. If you enjoy visual novels, and especially if you enjoy the Masquerade universe, give Coteries of New York a try.

My Score: 8/10

My System:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 | MSI RX 5700 XT 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 20.0.5 | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB | Manjaro 19.0.2 | Mate 1.24 | Kernel 5.6.7-1-MANJARO