Epic game play, but too many similarities.

User Rating: 8 | Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception PS3

I know I'm a few years late to the party, but that's how I play games. I buy a stack of used games for a huge discount and play them as I can. Uncharted 3 was the latest game I finished and once again I was blown away by the scope of the adventure that had just played out before me. I can only speak for the main campaign, I did not play the multi-player component at all (Since my code had been used by the previous owner and I wasn't paying for one).

Like all the Drake games, the environment is lush, beautiful and completely living and breathing around you. The adventure that takes place is something that would blow away a Hollywood script and main character Drake just becomes more flawed and more heroic with each new title. The game spans a number of different countries as Nathan Drake and his old counterpart Victor "Sully" Sullivan search for the true reason Sir Francis Drake took his voyage 500 years ago. We also get some back story, learning how Sully and Nathan met each other, which is a nice thing for long time fans of the series.

The game play is still a mix of climbing walls (that are sometimes impossibly tall and conveniently have perfectly placed items to grab onto), shooting enemies in grand scale firefights and solving puzzles to progress through levels. It's pretty much the same thing as the first two games, but it never feels stale as the story keeps churning forward with twists, turns and sometimes outright craziness.

The problem I found was at the end of the game, in the final few chapter which followed the script of the second game way too closely. Without giving anything specific away, Drake and Sully find an epic lost city that has been hidden for hundreds (or thousands) of years, they find enemies that are supernatural (Be they real or fake) and are very difficult to kill in waves that get frustrating, then they have to run away as the road crumbles away behind them.

The game ends with a satisfying conclusion and I watch as the trophies for completing the game pop up and I say to myself, I cannot wait until the next one. Hopefully Uncharted 4 on the PS4 comes out soon enough.

Charted.  Finish the game on Normal difficulty.
Charted. Finish the game on Normal difficulty.