Transformers Prime: The Game gives Nintendo fans the great Transformers game they've been denied by the HD TF games.

User Rating: 9 | Transformers Prime: The Game 3DS
With War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron blazing trails on the 360 and PS3, Nintendo has been left in the dark when it comes to good Transformers games. Sure we got the first good Pick-O-Side Bayformer game, but nothing has really come out for a Nintendo system since. Transformers Prime: The Game gives Nintendo system owners that game. Based on the current Transformers cartoon, TF: Prime - The Game is set sometime during season 2 (though fitting it is a bit hard to do, based on the Decepticon line up).

The story opens with the Decepticons boarding a GIANT meteorite composed completely of Dark Energon (which is also called The Blood of Unicron). The Autobots board the Nemesis and take out the cables tethering the Nemesis to the meteorite. However, the meteorite shakes and quakes and explodes, a mysterious creature falling out of it. The Autobots are scattered, but the humans; Jack, Miko, and Raf, find their partners and help them regroup. However, Optimus awakens next to the beast, who identifies himself as Thunderwing, Destroyer of the Matrix...

The game is short. I beat the 13 missions of story mode in about 2 hours. That is about the first half of the story. Those who are familiar with G1 and IDW lore know that Thunderwing is one SCARY character. He is made even more terrifying in this. The game has the various characters fighting the Decepticons and, eventually, Thunderwing himself. While you can only play as the Autobots during the story, however you can play as the various Decepticons during Multiplayer (which I will get to later).

Gameplay is the think that keeps me coming back to this game. Those who played the DS Dark of the Moon game will be kinda familiar with the gameplay. A will allow you to perform melee attacks. You can combo with either AAA, AAB, or AB, each one doing something slightly different. Y allows you to fire your blaster. Holding Y allows you to keep the fire going, but tapping Y and then holding Y will allow you to charge your blaster. Once it's fully charged, you can unleash a strong blaster shot. B allows you to jump. X lets you transform. While in vehicle mode, you can fire your blaster with Y and do a super jump with B. Also, if you press A while in vehicle mode, you'll do a powerful melee move. Also, you can press R to do a boost. In both modes you must HOLD the L button to stay locked on (which is my only qualm. The DS version didn't need you to hold L). You also have a Synergon bar that will fill up as you beat down Cons. Once it's full, you press the Upgrade button on the touch screen to get a super melee weapon for a limited amount of time.

The controls carry over to Multiplayer Mode. Multiplayer consists of 3 modes: Brawl (Beat everyone, survive), Energon Match (which is a point based version of Brawl where you respawn), and Energon Brawl (which is similar to capture the flag, you hold on to a flag for as long as possible). During Multiplayer, you can play as any of the Autobots (Optimus, Bumblebee, Arcee, Bulkhead, and Ratchet). and any of the Decepticons in the story (Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Knock Out, Dreadwing, and Arachnid). It can be played with up to 4 people in Local Wireless mode, but there is no online. You also can play with up to 3 CPU characters by yourself. I have yet to try Wireless, but I also don't know anyone nearby who owns the game.

There are also Emblems that you can earn throughout the game, doing any myriad of things. Most you earn through the Story Mode, but you can also earn them via Multiplayer. Some of the Emblems are insane to get, so it can keep you going for a while. There are also Artifacts that you can find through out the Story Mode that will unlock concept arts.

The only real issues with the game is how short it is and that you have to hold down L to stay locked on. Otherwise, I have no real complaints with the game. I guess it could have used some online multiplayer, but I can let that slide. Something I want to make note of, this game has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard on a videogame. It's something I really appreciate. They only use the actual show soundtrack for cutscenes and the opening (which is the opening of the show). If anyone can find the OST for this game for me, I would love you forever.

Bottom line, this game is what Nintendo owners have been waiting for to curb that Transformers urge. I have played the DS and 3DS versions of this game, but I bet the Wii version is just as good. If I fall into extra money, I might pick it up. But for now, the 3DS version is the best thing for the handheld Nintendo owner for your Transformers fix.