What would you prefer? Tomb Raider Reboot or sequel?

#1 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5187 posts) -

I love Tomb Raider and have played through ALL of them. TR1 through Underworld and I was pissed off to see them cancel Lara's adventure. Lara is the strongest female hero in modern gaming and set the path for people like Nathane Drake to follow. Uncharted traveled to some really cool sites too, it wasn't really hard for me to get into that series but none of that could compare to the mountains Lara scaled. I will give Crystal Dynamics the benefit of the doubt with this game but I'm honestly not going to hold my breath. To me, this is an alternate universe of Lara Croft and I'm always going to consider this as the 2nd version. The real Lara Croft died in 2008, she was gunned down by the same fanbase that made an icon. So does anyone else share the same sentiments? Or answer the poll to tell me why you feel the way you do.

Did you like Lara for her sex appeal? Her adventures? Nostalgia?

#2 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5187 posts) -

Let us take this time to remember the late Lady Croft.

I will always remember the way she shot all those defenseless animals to death while she raided tombs. The way she made crawling through small tunnels look sexy. The time she killed Natla in the Lost Island in TR1. The time she was exploring the ruins of the Maria Doria resting 40 fathoms below in TR II. Lara getting shoved in a small cell and wreaking havoc on the desert base in TRIII. Her journey to stop her mentor Werner Voncroy from unleashing utter bedlam upon the world in TR Last Revelation. Her perilous series of random adventures in TR Chronicles. Her adventure to uncover the mystery behind the murder of Voncroy. Her expeditition to find out what happened to her mother. The conclusion of her search, ending in an odd team up with Amanda in order to kill Natla one final time.

All in all, it was a hell of ride and no matter what they say- I'm never throwing the old games out! If you were to look at what she has done up to this point; would you say it was a good adventure?

Avatar image for deactivated-57bcc1891a93a
#3 Posted by deactivated-57bcc1891a93a (1284 posts) -
i'd like both. what we're getting is a reboot now though, just hope it's fun.
#4 Posted by RE4GreatesGame (495 posts) -

Nathan Drake doesn't take inspiration from Lara Croft. Get that into your thick fanboy head. Uncharted **** all over Tomb Raider.

#5 Posted by OmenUK (1268 posts) -

Nathan Drake doesn't take inspiration from Lara Croft. Get that into your thick fanboy head. Uncharted **** all over Tomb Raider.

RE4GreatesGame

Your an idiot and RE4 sucks compared with the previous games.

Now ignoring the troll and in reply to the TC: I really do believe that Tomb Raider (2013) looks to be a nice game that is in a way getting back to the older games just  using modern technologies to achieve them, and certain will be one of the better Tomb Raider games (if not the best Tomb Raider game) of the past few years and releases.

It seems to have a really good story to explain Lara's background and how she got involved in the career we have seen her explore in previous titles, but if donw well could also be an ideal point for Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics to re-invogorate the series and to re-boot the franchise, not ignoring what  has gone before, but rather using the story of any future games as part of her history while still making the story of the original series relevant and fitting in to their view of how future games will expand the series. 

#6 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5187 posts) -

I'm not gonna bother to respond to that ignorant comment about Uncharted, he obviously needs a history lesson that I don't have the patience for. Who knows? Maybe the new TR is meant to be like TR Legend. Legend forced alot of action into it so that it could appeal to new fans and get back the interest from old fans. Maybe the Tomb Raider that follows this alternate dimension will feature the same amount of exploration that the old games did and they're just trying to get their groove back. I didn't think about that till now.

#7 Posted by evildevilme (25 posts) -
I thought Lara Croft was fine the way she was. I also think changing Laras appearance sends the wrong message to young girls by telling them that they should be ashamed of their bodies if they are voluptuous. Shame on you, Crystal Dynamics, shame on you!
#8 Posted by thenerd64 (33 posts) -

I am going to take time to repond to that comment about uncharted, and say within this comment that I am notb going to take the time to do this.

Avatar image for deactivated-57bcc1891a93a
#9 Posted by deactivated-57bcc1891a93a (1284 posts) -
RE4greatestgame is pretty notorious for being an obnoxious idiot if you read many comments on game preview articles, do yourself a favor and don't bother trying to have a conversation. i always love how predictable he is though, excessive use of the word "fanboy" with a name like that, usually followed by Resident Evil 6 is better than any other game lately like he's played it, and how it's inevitable that i'tll get GOTY.
#10 Posted by jonnyfrostbite (25 posts) -

I think changing her appearance and her origins isn't negative at all... It seems to me that what they're trying to do with TR2013 is recreate Croft as a real person, and eschew the sexual objectification of the older games. I wouldn't say they're actively trying to censure voluptuousness (cause, well, who would!?); I'd say they're just trying to make the lady look more average. After all, this game seems to be about a woman that starts out extremely average, and goes through a traumatic experience that forces her to evolve into something extraordinary. It's fair to say that she could have had the same story being the buxom lass that Lara Classic was, but I think the decision to make her look smaller, more vulnerable, lends itself well to her reinvented character.

Cents. Two of em.

#11 Posted by RaiceGeriko (34 posts) -

I'm actually looking forward to a reboot, but at the same time, I'm also not looking forward to a reboot.  Here's why:

They're taking this new "realistic" approach to Lara Croft.  While this is admirable, I don't see how making her a "real" character is more realistic than she already was.  Look - I study social behavior, specifically dealing with the effects of abuse on a person.  I can tell you right now, they're going to turn this "rape" thing into a moment of strength for Lara.  The problem is that is totally bogus.  That's "Hollywood" realism, and it's a total farce.  People, especially women, do not suddenly find courage and strength after a traumatic, abusive experience.  That's just not how people actually react to abuse, rape being the most dehumanizing.

So while I am all for a reboot with a realistic approach, I am so sick of this fake crap being forced down our throats as being "real."  It's been going on in the movie business for the longest time, and games are starting to do it too.  The reason is because they aren't using real writers who think about their characters as real people as subject matter.  They're action-figures.  They dress them up in cool costumes with realistic art design, and then we end up thinking their behavior and characterization is real.  It's just a rhetorical, persuasion card.  It's the same fake crap we've always had in a different box.

You can tell.  Instead of oversexualizing the character of Lara, they can't shutup about the actress playing her.  We get it - she's totally gorgeous and hot.  But that isn't what they tell us.  All they talk about is how smart and great for the role she is.  But who really cares?  She's gorgeous!  The truth is... we care BECAUSE she is gorgeous... because we're MEN... and we're SUPPOSED to respond to beautiful women we are attracted to.

Lara Croft the character used to be this way.  But since that's "objectifying women", she is no longer marketable in that way.  Now we are just going to objectify and sexualize the actress playing her.  Do you think anyone would care about the voice actor for this Lara Croft before they played the game if she wasn't a perfect 10 in looks?  No.

I'm sure this new game will be fun.  And I hope they do well to make it something that can live up to the franchise.  But as long as they keep going down this path of a Lara Croft as a character who is anything more than a hot chick who knows she's hot and that's all the reason she needs to do whatever she wants.... I simply don't care about the story.  I never did anyway.  I enjoyed Tomb Raider because of the adventure, exploration, and platforming in familiar mythological inspired labrynths.  The icing on the cake was her tongue-in-cheek teasing.  The games were great anyway.

#12 Posted by namitokiwa (357 posts) -
I'm sorry I'm not good at English so hope you can forgive me about my mistake in any words I said in my comment. I really have a high hope for this new TR reboot. I think it would be good just like Leona Lewis's Glassheart album. You can see a lot of mordern things in her music just like a lot of new gameplay from gun-play to puzzles and explore the whole area for a secret Tombs which is show in the cinematic scenes (QTA has appear since TR Legend even the cinamtic scenes), awards or documents which is taking our time a lot to find if you don't use "survival instinct". Nice graphic, personally I don't like her hair, nice sound (I don't care about her scream, too.). This is my opinion about this new TR. It would be one of the best TR. The new TR reborn again.
#13 Posted by Kabbalistica (25 posts) -
I won't pretend that I've played all the TR games, because I haven't. This reboot has really got me excited though. I love the direction they're taking with it. And now, after playing the horrible DmC demo, I've shifted my anticipation to this game since I'm saving $60 on the new DmC next month, LMFAO. I prefer the reboot. The videos look amazing, especially how they portray Croft going from a regular archaeologist to killer-for-survival.
#14 Posted by Callista08 (4116 posts) -

@ Raice

It's not about one thing happening to her like rape. It's about a culmination of factors and experiences shaping this character. It's not just I've been raped, it's "I'm not going to survive if I don't do something". It's one thing to use training to assist someone in a controlled environment. It's another to claim that it's Hollywood realism. Not to say it would be as extreme a change, it's still a video game. However to say that is the only thing that creates this change you'd be wrong.

She is on an island, starved, injured, attacked, and watching horrible things happen to others as well. It is so much more than just being assaulted once by a madman.

#15 Posted by OmenUK (1268 posts) -

I think the problem with Tomb Raider has always been that it was used as a cash cow by the publishers to generate money so there was an increasing dip in quality as the series moved on from game to game, to me the first three games, as annoying as they could be, were great games, but some later games I really disliked although I  blame this more on Eidos than anyone else.

So I suppose I'd prefer them to reboot the series, tell her origin story in the game that will be released on Tuesday, and then should it be successful (critically and financially) I'd like to see themc ontinue with the series, but make it a little less violent, I suppose this game it is understandable that Lara is trying to survive by any means necesary so is willing to kill, but maybe in future games we see that because of this she becomes the character we know, only using confrontation if there is no other alternative, etc, etc (also I suppose would appease the purists who I have seen claim this game is not how Lara would act because of the violence).

#16 Posted by kobra_kaiden (52 posts) -

I prefer the next game to have a mix of both. This game was more intense/action packed, but there was no puzzle solving and tomb raiding that is memorable. RIght now old = puzzels all day. New = uncharted. Need to find a middle ground for me to be happy.

#17 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

I'm sorry omenuk did u say re4 sucked? You are a f****ing idiot, that game is a classic. Lol it's one of the highest meta critic rated games of all time too so disagree but Know you look dumb by saying so. Just wanted to get that outta my system, carry on...

#18 Posted by OmenUK (1268 posts) -

I'm sorry omenuk did u say re4 sucked? You are a f****ing idiot, that game is a classic. Lol it's one of the highest meta critic rated games of all time too so disagree but Know you look dumb by saying so. Just wanted to get that outta my system, carry on...

SNESNOSTALGIA2

Grow up you inmature, petulant little child, if you were old enough to have played the first three Resident Evil games you'd be someone worth listening to but your not so just shut up before you embarrass yourself further.  If you'd ha ve even bothered trying the first three games you would know they were the best in the series, where as the fourth game marked the start of the game being dumbed down for little bell ends like you who probably wouldn't know a good survival horror game it it stood in front on them shaking it's undead a** in the air.

#19 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

lolLOLOL petulant child I'm a college graduate and ive owned every console ever made. Is re4 NOT one of the highest rated games of all time? Sure the original Res are great but Re4 sucked? lmao wow

#20 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

Series went downhill AFTER four. Meta critic (thats an average of ALL major review publications) is second highest of all time. Well? Are you more credible than a professional published editor? you're just mad I called you out man 

#21 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

ever hear the expression "assume makes an a** out of you and me" ? Cause that applies to you. And how do you quantify the first three games being better? What's your criteria? Without the childish insults I mean lol 

#22 Posted by OmenUK (1268 posts) -

Why don't you grow the f*** up and stop being such a childish troll, I don't care if you are a college graduate because, quite frankly, anyone can graduate from college and we will always need toilet attendents so you're guarented a career no matter what happens, so be a good little boy, go play on a busy motorway and leave the serious talk to the adults here.

#23 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

82 reviews metacritic reviews. 96 average. All positive. Zero mixed. Zero negative. Hmmm who should I trust? 82 professionals or one dumb nerd in a tomb raider forum? Well? 

#24 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

I'm spitting facts you're making childish insults lol who's the petulant child now? 

#25 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

Well? What do you think of that? You gonna respond with actual facts or talk more stupid s***? 

#26 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

lol

#27 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

You got nothing? Lmao just an assumption based insult barrage? I use facts to support my arguments kid. 

#28 Posted by OmenUK (1268 posts) -

Why don't you grow the hell up you pathetic, whiney, trolling, lame brained little fan boy, you're opinion doesn't count for ****, and no one gives a stuff about your narrow minded little opinon because of the way you conduct yourself ont he forums you stupid little petulant child.

And you can keep trolling me as much as you want on this forum, you;ve already taken up enough of my time replying to you're BS posts so I'm not telling you again.

#29 Posted by kobra_kaiden (52 posts) -

You're a college graduate and this is how you write? How depressing...

#30 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

I'm not trolling you. I'm defending a game that you said sucks lol 

#31 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

You. Resident evil four sucks and re 1 2 and 3 ( its called nemesis btw u moron) are better. Your opinion No supporting facts

Me: resident evil 4 is a critically acclaimed game backed by a collection of 82 aggregate scores 

botton line: what exactly are you saying? You got all a sensitive and turned this into a personal thing 

#32 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

you just got mad that I don't share your opinion. Even facts won't persuade you. And I don't need to make childish insults to get my point across. Well? Another petulant child comment? You wanna use that for a third time? Lmao go for it. you write alot but you don't actually say anything... 

#33 Posted by SNESNOSTALGIA2 (133 posts) -

I cant wait for your inevitable insult-laden response...backed by no substantial facts. Just variations on how I'm a troll or fanboy or whatever terms you little kids use nowadays... 

#34 Posted by themadmanmarz (28 posts) -
I really hate reboots remakes or whatever the hell you call them. A Tomb Raider sequel would have been a lot better than this piece shit. This is not Tomb Raider!