Great Story and Soundtrack Terrible Everything Else

User Rating: 5 | To the Moon LNX

I have seen a lot of praise for the story for To The Moon. This is one time where the praise was due. What I saw of the story was very well done. The problem I had was that most everything else, aside from an awesome soundtrack, was not. Had this been a kinetic visual novel I would have enjoyed it much more. Had it had better thought out puzzles, such as Rakuen, I would have enjoyed it much more. Sadly what I was left with was a quality story that to enjoy I had to wade through input issues; low frame rates; and poor puzzles. The input issues were such that when I clicked on a location for my character to move they sometimes would go there. Other times they would go part way and stop. The same would happen when I clicked on objects to investigate, sometimes they would go right to it and others only a bit and stop. The puzzles mostly consisted of mini games of “preparing” mementos to go further back in Johnny’s memories. To do this you had to clear away white blocks on a picture by pressing buttons that correspond to columns and rows. In doing so you would creat white blocks elsewhere. You had to anticipate where they would form (there is a pattern) and you could them clear them all. I found this pretty annoying. Even the basic puzzles of finding keys had issues at times. I was supposed to read this passage of a book to find a key hidden there but it wasn’t until the third time I read the passage that my character found the key.

I played To The Moon on Linux. It never crashed on me once. There are no graphics options at all. Alt-Tab doesn’t work. It uses a total of 223MB of disk space. It uses the RPG Maker XP engine. The game allows you to manually save at any time outside of dialogue and has 3 save slots. There is also an auto save feature for those who prefer that. During play my GPU usage was 3-7%; my VRAM usage was 537-594MB; my CPU usage was 0-3%; my RAM usage was 2.6-3GB and my frame rate was a constant 40 FPS. Why it was stuck at 40 I have no idea.

I got through 79 minutes of To The Moon before the I came to the conclusion that the story wasn’t worth putting up with the gameplay. I paid $2.52 for the game and would say that is very much a steal for the story but way overpriced for what I put up with for it. Your enjoyment of the game will hinge on whether you value story and whether you have similar pet peaves as me with gameplay.

My Score: 5.5/10

My System:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 | MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 19.3.4 | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Manjaro 19.0.0 | Mate 1.24 | Kernel 5.5.2-1-MANJARO