Why, while about to purchase the game i stopped myself...

#1 Posted by pegleg2060 (25 posts) -

Seemed interesting, was willing to pay $60 and the subscription fee after the intial 30 days if i liked it. I had seen a couple videos and it sounded like a cool concept. However the underlying pricetags were a major turn off...Microtransaction on top of a subscription based game.

I am already going to have to pay $60 to start-up which i was ok with because it came with 30 days to play. What is wrong is that while I'm hitting next I am offered 3 bundle packages, one for $15 which gives my charcter intiate gear(making leveling easier), another for $60(the cost of the game) for 30 days more gametime, another charcter slot, and some junk, and then another for $200 with a uniform and a lifetime sub. Whoa hold on I don't even know if i like the game yet and already the price tag is ridiculous? I scroll down some more $10 for additional charcter slots, $10 for each additional name reserve. 

I was immediately turned off by this game just based on that. Not the content, not the gameplay, just the underlying pricetags. If they start charging for this now what will be next?

#2 Posted by Karpola (67 posts) -

Simple enough, don't buy those optional packages.

#3 Posted by gix47 (684 posts) -

with EA running the game, those extra's will be needed

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
#4 Posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI (1508 posts) -
Not seeing the issue here. You have the option to not buy them. A company trying to make money is nothing astounding in 2012.
Avatar image for deactivated-57bcc1891a93a
#5 Posted by deactivated-57bcc1891a93a (1284 posts) -
last thing I want to do is pay real money to make an MMO easier.
#6 Posted by cyntric (25 posts) -
The game is 50 dollars not 60. ;P
#7 Posted by Army4God (54 posts) -

You made the right decision OP. I cannot believe this game has a sub, let alone a cash shop on top of it. This is a F2P game waiting to happen.

#8 Posted by cyntric (25 posts) -
You know the cash shop is for cosmetic clothing only, right? As in it gives zero advantage in the game. The preorder stuff is just intro weapons that will be replaced rather quickly within the scope of the game. After playing beta for a long while I thought it was a fairly nice perk to have to get me through the first zone a little quicker since I've already done it about 5 or 6 times. World of Warcraft has a cash shop too for pets and mounts -- You can even sell one of the pets you buy with real money on their in-game Auction House! Swtor has their "deluxe" edition that gives a free mount. Lots of games have these features. It's nothing new. So to not buy a great game because of this is just being ignorant to how the market really works.
#9 Posted by deactivated-57bcc1891a93a (1284 posts) -
are there even any major MMO that need a cash shop for your character to excel? I think i've seen one and it was one of those Korean grindfests that I wouldn't even play for free
#10 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

EA+Funcom+B2P+P2P+RMT+P2W = Great new MMO I want to immediately invest in over the long haul.:roll:

#11 Posted by KLPeel (25 posts) -

gix47
Not an EA game. Where do you guys get these things?
#12 Posted by KLPeel (25 posts) -

Unlike almost all other MMORPGs out there, this game, from my understanding of it, has almost no reason for alts. I actually like alts, so this is a bit of a reason for me to pause, but really, there are no classes and no real races in this game. The only reason to have more than 1 character is if you want to be in each of the 3 factions, or if you play mainly for RP, and so must have 6 characters, one for each faction, and each gender (or more, if you want different looks). Everything else the OP mentioned is fluff that can easily be avoided and will not be noticed in their absence.

#13 Posted by Mystoksor (1082 posts) -

Not seeing the issue here. You have the option to not buy them. A company trying to make money is nothing astounding in 2012. IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

The issue is that it's considered poor form when a company charges a subsription AND offers powerful items via microtransaction. Microtransactions are fine in a subscription game, but they're expected to be purely cosmetic, not offer a gameplay advantage.

#14 Posted by Awesomo2k (25 posts) -

Yes I agree, that would be a problem if they did that. But they don't. The preorder stuff gives you a slight advantage in the first couple of hours of the game, just like the preorder crystal for SW:TOR gave you a slight advantage in the first couple of hours of the game and the preorder bonus for GW2 will give you a slight advantage in the first couple of hours of the game.

The cash shop has cosmetic items only - it doesn't even have boosters like GW2s cash shop has.

#15 Posted by blackbrrd (25 posts) -

The game has only vanity items in the cash shop.

You get "cash" shop points for 3 months+ subscriptions

#16 Posted by ED0511 (25 posts) -

EA is the co publisher with Funcom for this game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_World

#17 Posted by GLaDoSxxx (181 posts) -

[QUOTE="gix47"]

KLPeel

From the BIG EA logo that appears when you start the game, maybe?

#18 Posted by deactivated-57bcc1891a93a (1284 posts) -
what I hate is having to buy a 3rd slot. there's 3 factions, what made them decide to only give you 2 slots if not for more underhanded milking. maybe it'll bite them in the ass losing subscription fees from people who might have bought a month to play their final faction.
#19 Posted by ranbla (278 posts) -

I'm waiting to see how things play out with this game. Nothing about it strikes me as great. I have friends playing it but until the good outweighs the bad, I'll hold off. I suspect I'll pass on it completely and play GW2 when it arrives.

#20 Posted by occupybasement (25 posts) -
The game is great. I love it. I have been playing it on the live feed with Kevin. If you make it as the adventure game that it is, its great. Lots of atmosphere. Some of the graphics are dated, but the direct x 11 effects are nice on my nvidia card. The game is only 49.99. I don't feel guilty for the amount of time vs fun. I beat max payne in 3 days. It was awesome, but now I'm playing this, for several days. Plus I have no idea what I'm doing from one moment to the next. I thought the point of games was to challenge you. Not just make you an expert at beating it.
#21 Posted by Meteor7 (527 posts) -

[QUOTE="gix47"]

KLPeel

Though Funcom is the main developer here EA also is involved here...

#22 Posted by CaptainScrubby (64 posts) -

The EA Logo and EA's history with MMO's should have been enough.

#24 Posted by Vardoom (25 posts) -
I don't know how any of you can base your distaste for this game on EA, it doesn't even play like an EA developed game (maybe because it's not at all) It's made by Funcom, which means all gameplay elements and everything in the game were created by Funcom developers with no input from EA. EA = Publisher Funcom = Developer "Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature, music, or information the activity of making information available to the general public. In some cases, authors may be their own publishers, meaning: originators and developers of content also provide media to deliver and display the content for the same." While EA falls under this category, it's clear that everything the game is based off, game play, style, everything, shares similarities with Funcom past titles such as Anarchy Online, and Age of Conan. This is how an educated individual can assume that overall EA had very little, if anything to do with the actual development was carried out solely by Funcom. EA clearly only took a distribution, funding, promotion aspect of the game, thus publishing. TL : DR version: If you've played the game and have played Funcom previous titles you'd realize that the game shares similarities to the development style of the Funcom Team, be it as it may of the games acclaim from individuals it would be naive to assume that EA had much to do with the games quality.
#25 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Haha, I've been boycotting anything EA for some time now on principle, it's all I have as a single consumer. That's what consumers do after an evil company like EA has repeatedly treated you badly, made bad games, etc. I don't care if EA id in the room when the devs make decisions. EA is involved, EA has a monetary interest, EA will affect the game, don't be naive.

#26 Posted by Vardoom (25 posts) -

Haha, I've been boycotting anything EA for some time now on principle, it's all I have as a single consumer. That's what consumers do after an evil company like EA has repeatedly treated you badly, made bad games, etc. I don't care if EA id in the room when the devs make decisions. EA is involved, EA has a monetary interest, EA will affect the game, don't be naive.

vishisluv7
The logic isn't there with this, that's like the equivalent of someone saying they won't buy pepsi because it's owned by coke, just because it's owned by coke and not because you hate the taste of pepsi. Like I said, the game has no hint of EA influence within the actual game, and this I know.
#27 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

[QUOTE="vishisluv7"]

Vardoom

The logic isn't there with this, that's like the equivalent of someone saying they won't buy pepsi because it's owned by coke, just because it's owned by coke and not because you hate the taste of pepsi. Like I said, the game has no hint of EA influence within the actual game, and this I know.

First, no, you don't know. neither do I. My point is, on principle I refuse to line EA's pockets as they are destroying gaming IMO.

So I don't care how much you want to spin EA's involvement, I won't support EA, nor will i support any fool studio who partners with them.

#28 Posted by Greyfeld (3007 posts) -

I don't know how any of you can base your distaste for this game on EA, it doesn't even play like an EA developed game (maybe because it's not at all) It's made by Funcom, which means all gameplay elements and everything in the game were created by Funcom developers with no input from EA. EA = Publisher Funcom = Developer "Publishing is the process of production and dissemination of literature, music, or information the activity of making information available to the general public. In some cases, authors may be their own publishers, meaning: originators and developers of content also provide media to deliver and display the content for the same." While EA falls under this category, it's clear that everything the game is based off, game play, style, everything, shares similarities with Funcom past titles such as Anarchy Online, and Age of Conan. This is how an educated individual can assume that overall EA had very little, if anything to do with the actual development was carried out solely by Funcom. EA clearly only took a distribution, funding, promotion aspect of the game, thus publishing.

TL : DR version: If you've played the game and have played Funcom previous titles you'd realize that the game shares similarities to the development style of the Funcom Team, be it as it may of the games acclaim from individuals it would be naive to assume that EA had much to do with the games quality. Vardoom

Because it's the publisher's job to do all the marketing and make all the financial decisions for the game.  EA has a long history of trying to maximize their profits by screwing customers.  The most recent debacles have dealt with cutting content directly out of their games and selling it separately, then calling it "bonus content."

So please, the next time you launch an argument, at least have the common sense to first make sure you know what you're arguing against.

#29 Posted by r4v3gl0ry (1285 posts) -

You didn't exactly make a wrong choice. A lot of times (although not so often in the case of subscription-based games 'cause that's nonsensical), cash shops go from offering purely cosmetic items to P2W items. You can opt to avoid buying anything extra, but you will never be able to tell when exactly these vanity items may be phased out in favor of somethig unfair.

With that said, if you find the game fun and it hasn't yet turned into a P2W game, why not just subscribe and play for as long as you wish to continue?

#30 Posted by bmnnnn (102 posts) -

Why do you complain, anyway? You were breeded for throwing your money at everything. Like, hey it's new, let's buy it. Right? Wrong? Anyways, you won't even realize what I intent to say. So be the brave little consumer you are and shut up.