The Ending? - Contains Spoilers

#1 Posted by DarthJoe77 (25 posts) -

Hi All,

Well i just finished the last of us and im not sure what to make of it. I think im some what disappointed in the ending. But i think that's because i thought i had spoiled the ending as every one was saying it was sad. and with how things looked in the hospital i really believed Ellie was going to die and that's how i though it was going to end and why it was a sad ending. dont get me wrong im glad she lived, i would have saved her if i where joel but i would have tolder her the truth she had no idea getting the cure would kill her and there is always the chance the cure my have not worked as at the beginning they said on the tv the vacince had failed. So i think the reasion im a little dissapointed in the end is because it was not as emotional as i was expecting the ending to be and because i feel  the actual point where it ended was in mid conversation i feel as if it cut them off before they had finished talking. But over all i love the game it is by far my favorite game on the playstation, it nearly had me in tears in 4 parts and how it ended i feel there could be a sequal wich i think would be good. I hope the story dlc part contines from the end.

What did you make of the ending?

#2 Posted by ABakedAlien (308 posts) -
Im not sure exactly what you ment when you said "i would have tolder her the truth she had no idea getting the cure would kill her ". If you mean telling her the truth that attempting to get the cure would kill her, Joel didn't know that theyd have to kill her for the cure. If you mean telling the truth about that there was no other known people like her that were immune and how Joel stopped the procedure, she would of never forgiven Joel for not letting them go through with it. Joel grew to love Ellie like his new daughter and he just couldnt imagine another loss like that of his real daughter. All in all I think it was a solid ending and it stayed very true to the characters. I'm pretty sure naughty dog said that there is no more story dlc aswell.
#3 Posted by DarthJoe77 (25 posts) -

Im not sure exactly what you ment when you said "i would have tolder her the truth she had no idea getting the cure would kill her ". If you mean telling her the truth that attempting to get the cure would kill her, Joel didn't know that theyd have to kill her for the cure. If you mean telling the truth about that there was no other known people like her that were immune and how Joel stopped the procedure, she would of never forgiven Joel for not letting them go through with it. Joel grew to love Ellie like his new daughter and he just couldnt imagine another loss like that of his real daughter. All in all I think it was a solid ending and it stayed very true to the characters. I'm pretty sure naughty dog said that there is no more story dlc aswell.ABakedAlien

what i meant by the truth was telling her that thet were going to kill her to try and make a cure/vacine. if you rewatch the cut scene where joel wakes up in the hostpical they tell him that the reasion she is immune is due to the virues thing mutating and they want to take it out of her but joel replays saying it grows on all brain, meaing they would need to remove the brain aswell and that would kill ellie. so when you said "Joel didn't know that theyd have to kill her for the cure" he actule did. thats one of the reasions he stopped the procedure. but i do understand why he lied about others been imune as like you say he dose not want to lose her as shes like a second daughter to him and if she knew she was still the only one immune she may have still agreed to go ahead with it. So i still belive he should have told her the truth about the killing her part and as for the other immune i understand why he did it so im ok with that bit. But i still feel the end point still feels like it cut off the middel of a scence. but now i have had more time to think on the ending im starting to realise how good it was aside the fact i personly would have told her they tried to kill her and i would have added an extra thew minuites to the end showing them getting back to joels brother and been welcomed to there new life in his town.

as for the dlc they have said there will be 1 story related dlc the rest will be mutliplayer.

Avatar image for HookedonPhonicx
#4 Posted by HookedonPhonicx (376 posts) -

They also confirm that the procedure will kill Ellie with the voice recordings you find in the hospital. I thought the ending was good, I am hoping that the story DLC does continue from the end and its not something during the story, though I feel it might be.

#5 Posted by Hwdareu87 (135 posts) -

Joel made a smart move not telling her the truth, because like you said she would have probably agreed for them to kill her as she progressively became depressed after the whole winter segment of the game. She felt like she needed to make a difference, and if she knew that the only way to save mankind was for her to die she would have agreed for them to kill her. Joel knew this, and knew he couldn't tell her the truth as the truth would have made her live her entire life in regret knowing that Joel kept her from fulfilling her purpose. Thoughts like that are not good to dwell on in the world Joel and Ellie live in, hence the reason why Joel refused to keep the picture of him and his daughter when initally given to him by Tommy, he knew it would only hurt him if he held onto distant memories.

Ellie is a 14 year old girl, she doesn't know what she wants in her life. She may have thought that her death would have been for the greater good, but she hasn't seen the world like Joel has in the past 20 years since the outbreak. Joel has seen the real horrors of humanity, and knew that even if Ellie were to die humanity would never truly be saved. Joel knew that Ellie could be happy, but if he told her the truth she would live the rest of her life wondering "what if?"

Joel kept the truth from her to protect her, as the truth didn't matter anymore...whats done is done

#6 Posted by inuyashagalo (101 posts) -

Hi All,

Well i just finished the last of us and im not sure what to make of it. I think im some what disappointed in the ending. But i think that's because i thought i had spoiled the ending as every one was saying it was sad. and with how things looked in the hospital i really believed Ellie was going to die and that's how i though it was going to end and why it was a sad ending. dont get me wrong im glad she lived, i would have saved her if i where joel but i would have tolder her the truth she had no idea getting the cure would kill her and there is always the chance the cure my have not worked as at the beginning they said on the tv the vacince had failed. So i think the reasion im a little dissapointed in the end is because it was not as emotional as i was expecting the ending to be and because i feel  the actual point where it ended was in mid conversation i feel as if it cut them off before they had finished talking. But over all i love the game it is by far my favorite game on the playstation, it nearly had me in tears in 4 parts and how it ended i feel there could be a sequal wich i think would be good. I hope the story dlc part contines from the end.

DarthJoe77
I felt the same thing, and I agree 100% with your words.
#7 Posted by kik4444 (298 posts) -
I personally think it's the most realistic, non-cliche ending I've seen in a while
#8 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (601 posts) -

I had read a false spoiler of the ending -- in which Joel gets infected and Ellie has to kill him. I think that would have been the best possible ending emotionally... but I think they're setting up a sequel/series.

#9 Posted by DarthJoe77 (25 posts) -

i cant belive at first i was dissapointed at the ending but after going other it and thinking about it, its a dam good ending. so much to think about was joel right to save her, was they right to not tell her they needed to kill her to get the cure, is it right or wrong to kill 1 person to save lots especialy if its a kid, is joel doing the right thing by lieing to ellie about it. so may big questions land depending on ur own personality the answer will always be different. for me the answer is yes he did the right thing saving her, was they right not to tell her about killing her no, is it wright or wrong to kill one to save many, no. 1 life is just as important as the next, no life should be taken even if its to save other as a civalization that can kill 1 or a thew to save others means they dont value a single life there for people who dont value life its self cant be civilized and was joel right lie to ellie about the truth cos he feared he would lose her the answer is no, he should have been truthfull its her life she deserves to say if she wants to die for the cure or not, but i also think him lieing makes him very human by doing what it takes to keep a loved one alive even if that means lieing to them and not giving them all there options now i think about it i guess i would have done the same.

#10 Posted by ABakedAlien (308 posts) -

[QUOTE="ABakedAlien"]Im not sure exactly what you ment when you said "i would have tolder her the truth she had no idea getting the cure would kill her ". If you mean telling her the truth that attempting to get the cure would kill her, Joel didn't know that theyd have to kill her for the cure. If you mean telling the truth about that there was no other known people like her that were immune and how Joel stopped the procedure, she would of never forgiven Joel for not letting them go through with it. Joel grew to love Ellie like his new daughter and he just couldnt imagine another loss like that of his real daughter. All in all I think it was a solid ending and it stayed very true to the characters. I'm pretty sure naughty dog said that there is no more story dlc aswell.DarthJoe77

what i meant by the truth was telling her that thet were going to kill her to try and make a cure/vacine. if you rewatch the cut scene where joel wakes up in the hostpical they tell him that the reasion she is immune is due to the virues thing mutating and they want to take it out of her but joel replays saying it grows on all brain, meaing they would need to remove the brain aswell and that would kill ellie. so when you said "Joel didn't know that theyd have to kill her for the cure" he actule did. thats one of the reasions he stopped the procedure. but i do understand why he lied about others been imune as like you say he dose not want to lose her as shes like a second daughter to him and if she knew she was still the only one immune she may have still agreed to go ahead with it. So i still belive he should have told her the truth about the killing her part and as for the other immune i understand why he did it so im ok with that bit. But i still feel the end point still feels like it cut off the middel of a scence. but now i have had more time to think on the ending im starting to realise how good it was aside the fact i personly would have told her they tried to kill her and i would have added an extra thew minuites to the end showing them getting back to joels brother and been welcomed to there new life in his town.

as for the dlc they have said there will be 1 story related dlc the rest will be mutliplayer.

I ment he didnt know while he was taking her to see the fireflies to try and find a vaccine, yeah obviously he learned that it would kill her at the hospital, but he never would have had the opprutinuty to tell her as she was already taken away. thats all my point was. was just confused what u ment

#11 Posted by DarthJoe77 (25 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarthJoe77"]

[QUOTE="ABakedAlien"]Im not sure exactly what you ment when you said "i would have tolder her the truth she had no idea getting the cure would kill her ". If you mean telling her the truth that attempting to get the cure would kill her, Joel didn't know that theyd have to kill her for the cure. If you mean telling the truth about that there was no other known people like her that were immune and how Joel stopped the procedure, she would of never forgiven Joel for not letting them go through with it. Joel grew to love Ellie like his new daughter and he just couldnt imagine another loss like that of his real daughter. All in all I think it was a solid ending and it stayed very true to the characters. I'm pretty sure naughty dog said that there is no more story dlc aswell.ABakedAlien

I ment he didnt know while he was taking her to see the fireflies to try and find a vaccine, yeah obviously he learned that it would kill her at the hospital, but he never would have had the opprutinuty to tell her as she was already taken away. thats all my point was. was just confused what u ment

Oh ye i know he did not know before they got there and could not tell het at the hostpical as she was out cold but when she woke in the car he should have tolder her they were going to kill her then he could judge her recation and going from that he then could have decided if he need to lie or not about others been imune. Also at the endwhen ellie says ok when joel swars its the truthdo you think she belived him. I think she dose not but she gose with it as she wants to trust him.

#12 Posted by Pitthepunisher (152 posts) -

They created an ending within the moral ambiguity of the situation.  Is one life worth potentially saving humanity?  Is Joel being selfish by saving her, or are the fireflies being selfish by killing her for a potential cure?  Is Joel doing the right thing hiding the reality of the situation from Ellie, or is he making a decision that Ellie should have made?  The ending is so stunning because there is no right answer to any of the questions.  This isn't an ending that excites you and makes you happy; it is an ending that makes you speechless over what happens.  And that speechlessness doesn't go away with time because I still don't know if Joel did the right thing.

#13 Posted by Enfeeblement (107 posts) -

Hwdareu87 made some good points, I think the ending is pretty good, it could've gone in so many different dirrections too bad there wasnt alternate endings.

I have to admit I was a little upset about breaking Ellie out of the hosbital. However, to see them two at the end and you get the feeling Joel has finally softened up is a nice ending...for two people. The fact that the cure for man kind could've been made is a little troubling to me, but as Hwdareu87 said man kind is pretty much all F'd up. As you get to experience in almost every encounter with strangers you are truley surviving because you cannot trust a single person.

I actually thought Joel was going to get infected though, when Ellie almost drowned at the end of the tunnel I thought he was goin to give mouth to mouth and then eventualy he would need to be put down. That would've been a big tear jerker...Sarah dieing in the beginning was enough of an emotional hit.

#14 Posted by nervmeister (15378 posts) -
Though I can understand the choice Joel made in the end concerning Ellie, what I kind of cant forgive him for is killing Marlene since she pretty much saved Joel from being killed by her group and even spared him when she had the opportunity to shoot him in order to stop him from leaving with Ellie. And his justification for it was rather weak as well.
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
#15 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (387 posts) -

It felt very real to me, and really shows how selfish Joel really is and that he knew it. I beleive thats why Joel was so off-putting to Ellie in the begining, he knew that she could become a surragte daughter to him, and wasn't willing to risk it. Of course it happened anyway and in the end he's essentially asked to sacrifice his daughter, and already knowing that pain he decided to take the selfish route by saving and lieing to her. I think given the choice Ellie would've made that sacrifice, but of course that would've been the obvious cliche ending, Naughty Dog did much better. It was selfish, it was human and it was real. I hope they make more games in this universe, but I agree that Joel and Ellie's story is over.

#16 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

Hi All,

Well i just finished the last of us and im not sure what to make of it. I think im some what disappointed in the ending. But i think that's because i thought i had spoiled the ending as every one was saying it was sad. and with how things looked in the hospital i really believed Ellie was going to die and that's how i though it was going to end and why it was a sad ending. dont get me wrong im glad she lived, i would have saved her if i where joel but i would have tolder her the truth she had no idea getting the cure would kill her and there is always the chance the cure my have not worked as at the beginning they said on the tv the vacince had failed. So i think the reasion im a little dissapointed in the end is because it was not as emotional as i was expecting the ending to be and because i feel the actual point where it ended was in mid conversation i feel as if it cut them off before they had finished talking. But over all i love the game it is by far my favorite game on the playstation, it nearly had me in tears in 4 parts and how it ended i feel there could be a sequal wich i think would be good. I hope the story dlc part contines from the end.

DarthJoe77

Yep, this was absolutely the problem when I read this passage of your text.

I was so making sure to avoid even the slightest bit of spoilers for the game and in the end in that sequence in the hospital level, fighting against heavily armed guards my way towards Ellie I was so frightend I might already be too late, I felt so emotionally involved, so at unease, so frightened, so worried, it made the ending SO TENSE to ABSOLUTELY NOT KNOWING the outcome.

That was just a masterpiece doing of Naughty Dog to get you there as they did.

#17 Posted by M413FIK-E (78 posts) -
I do not think she was expecting to die. There are parts to the game where she talks to Joel about learning how to swim after seeing the Fireflies, and that when the quest is over she will go wherever he wants. So I would not assume that she would gladly give her life for a cure that is not guaranteed, also Marlene promised Ellie's mother that she would take care of her and then she breaks it by trying to kill her. Marlene got what she deserved, and I am glad Ellie got saved and that Joel has something positive in his life to fight for "Ellie". Besides even if the Fireflies find a cure how will they make more and distribute it to whatever is left of the crazy people that kill, and eat each other. The Fireflies could be corrupt for all we know and control people who are in need of a cure/ vaccine.
#18 Posted by CompositeSanta (25 posts) -

We also have to consider the fact that even if they could create a cure, there's still no guarantee that the cure will actually work and that Ellie died for nothing. Even if it did work, how do we know the Fireflies were going to use it for good, maybe only for themselves. They did establish that they were few in numbers, so if another, bigger group finds out about the cure, they'd probably kill the Fireflies for the vaccine. 

Whoever has the vaccine in possesion also has power and would use it to exploit everyone else. We don't know if creating the vaccine would be for better or worse. Joel was very attached to Ellie like she was his own daughter and didn't want to lose her, he'd do anything to get her back, even if it means killing the Firefly leader (which he knew she would come after Ellie). Overall IMO it's actually a great simple story which includes an ending that makes us think.

#19 Posted by ccgod (7500 posts) -
Though I can understand the choice Joel made in the end concerning Ellie, what I kind of cant forgive him for is killing Marlene since she pretty much saved Joel from being killed by her group and even spared him when she had the opportunity to shoot him in order to stop him from leaving with Ellie. And his justification for it was rather weak as well.nervmeister
yea but he had to to protect elle she would of just come after them, they made the choice for her to sacrifice her self
#20 Posted by ColtonKappel (25 posts) -
As other's have said, it stayed true to the characters. After all we have been through, Joel did not seem like the type to just give up on Ellie. He would fight tooth and claw to save her, like he did. When it first cuts out to Joel driving the vehicle at the end, I almost snapped. For a moment, I thought he left her. It just wouldn't seem like him if he just up and left her to die. It makes me wonder, apparently internally at Naughty Dog there was LOTS of drama over the ORIGINAL ending. I guess they ended up changing it to what we have now. I would have to make the assumption that Joel leaves Ellie with the Fire Flys and the game ends. That would be my guess. But dang, it must have been serious for the internal devs to fight over it.
#21 Posted by ColtonKappel (25 posts) -
Though I can understand the choice Joel made in the end concerning Ellie, what I kind of cant forgive him for is killing Marlene since she pretty much saved Joel from being killed by her group and even spared him when she had the opportunity to shoot him in order to stop him from leaving with Ellie. And his justification for it was rather weak as well.nervmeister
Yeah, this is one of the more grey decisions that Joel makes, but he was right, Marlene would have NEVER stopped looking for Ellie. Knowing what she is. It would have been an eternal man hunt. Joel just put an end to it. Was it right? That is up to the player. But yes, by the end of this game, Joel is a very ambiguous character.
#22 Posted by jazzycmk (167 posts) -

They created an ending within the moral ambiguity of the situation.  Is one life worth potentially saving humanity?  Is Joel being selfish by saving her, or are the fireflies being selfish by killing her for a potential cure?  Is Joel doing the right thing hiding the reality of the situation from Ellie, or is he making a decision that Ellie should have made?  The ending is so stunning because there is no right answer to any of the questions.  This isn't an ending that excites you and makes you happy; it is an ending that makes you speechless over what happens.  And that speechlessness doesn't go away with time because I still don't know if Joel did the right thing.

Pitthepunisher

That's a great assessment.  I was surprised at how abrupt the ending was with Ellie just saying "OK" and the credits then rolling.  And you're right, I guess I wasn't satisfied, not because I thought the ending was poor but I have so many unanswered questions.

If Ellie hadn't been out cold but had been told she would have to die to extract the cure, would she have agreed to it?  I'm not sure.  Earlier in the game when they arrive at Salt Lake, Joel proposes the idea of just walking away and returning to Tommy's.  Ellie says no, but then says that when it's over they can go anywhere Joel wants.  I think she wants that, but at the time she didn't know she would have to die for a cure to become reality.

When Ellie asks Joel to swear to what he told her about the Fireflies (that she wasn't the only one immune to the virus, but it didn't matter because it hadn't led to a cure, etc.) and he says "I swear", does she believe him?  Again, I'm not sure.  I sense she doesn't, but she really wants to.

At any rate, I don't think I've ever been as invested in the story of a video game before.  You really cared about Ellie.  I was on the edge of my seat during the fight to get up to the operating room.  Was Ellie already going to be dead?  Would she be conscious and furious at Joel because she wanted to make the sacrifice?  Or would she be scared to death and grateful that Joel came to her rescue?  When Joel picked her up off the operating table and said, "I've got you baby girl", I thought it was incredibly moving.

A lot of unanswered questions, but very thought provoking.  It wouldn't have fit this game for everything to be tied up in a nice, neat bow.

#23 Posted by Warhead4 (25 posts) -
Perfect
#24 Posted by onewiththegame (4353 posts) -

I think Ellie would have sacrificed herself for the vaccine and Joel had no right to make that decision for her IMO

#25 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

I think Ellie would have sacrificed herself for the vaccine and Joel had no right to make that decision for her IMO

onewiththegame

So, the Fireflies HAD the right to make this decision for her?

#26 Posted by jazzycmk (167 posts) -

[QUOTE="onewiththegame"]

Justforvisit

Deep waters here.  However, this does show how far games have come that we're having a moral / ethical debate.

#27 Posted by onewiththegame (4353 posts) -

[QUOTE="onewiththegame"]

Justforvisit

We don't know they did make that decision we never get to see what happened when Joel was out maybe they told her and she made the decision, Marlene said  she wanted it right before Joel shot her 

#28 Posted by DaDumb1 (3844 posts) -

I had read a false spoiler of the ending -- in which Joel gets infected and Ellie has to kill him. I think that would have been the best possible ending emotionally... but I think they're setting up a sequel/series.

DaRq_MiNoS

It also 

*SPOILERS*

Would have been a complete ripoff of the Walking Dead, thus actually making it the lamest ending they could have done.

*END SPOILERS*

Also, they're not setting up for a sequel, at least not one that has anything to do with Joel and Ellie. They've already said this is the end of their story and, if they do another one, it wouldn't be starring them.

#29 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

If Joel had told Ellie the truth right then and there she probably would have turned around and try to make her way back to the Fireflies on her own.  Besides, she could feel he was lying to her.  Swearing means nothing.  She will unwind from the whole ordeal in time and likely meet new friends her age.  How could Ellie be the ONLY one immune?  More likely no one would be immune period or many more really are immune too which would negate some of Joel's lie.  Also likely someone might develop a vaccine from Ellie WITHOUT killing her outright and then trying to figure out the vaccine.  Ellie grew up a little and Joel mellowed a little on their journey but both realized the bottom line was kill or be killed and maybe desiring to sacrifice your life to save the old misearable human race wasn't the right way and wouldn't work.  Frankly I'd envy the Earth losing 60% of its population.  If the survivors hold-up long enough the infected will all die off with the virus disappearing.

My take without reading any of your own.