I'm guessing 40 hour playthroughs are a thing of the past?

#1 Posted by Katz (215 posts) -

I so long the days that it took 40+ hours to beat a game. don't get me wrong The Last of Us was an intense experience for sure. I just wish it was a little more than 16 hours. 12 hours if you don't waste time exploring. 

Avatar image for DEADTERMINATOR9
#2 Posted by DEADTERMINATOR9 (630 posts) -

Not all games benefit from being 40+ hours. If there is enough story to bring it to that length then great. However, stretching things out for the sake of a longer game really doesn't help the story or the flow of the game and does more harm than good. Fatigue sets in. While games have overall gotten shorter, there were plenty of games in previous generations that weren't 40+ hours. 15-20 hours was usually the sweet spot and this game hits that.

#3 Posted by ccgod (7389 posts) -
play on a harder difficulty and see how you do lol I went from easy to hard and its crazy to see the difference
#4 Posted by northypoley (1672 posts) -

I don't believe so.  Games, particularly RPGs that have a lot of exploration and a 'start and go' formula could definitely go for 40+ hours.  The Skyrim is one example.  You start your main story quest, but you can always just put it on hold and do other stuff.

The Last of Us is designed to be an intense and well crafted experience, so having 40+ hours on that would take an immense amount of effort.

So yeah, i think they are still present, Dragon Age 3 would probably be very long as well.  Just that not all games would be long.  My only complaint is that they could probably add in some worth while extras for playing the games over again.  Prime example of replaying the game would be the MGS series, extremely awesome unlockables that change the way you play.

#5 Posted by Pitthepunisher (152 posts) -

With a 40 hr playthrough, it makes it really hard to achieve all the little things that these games do.  Games that focus on story often either have multiple stories, or shorter ones.  Making the game longer would have lowered the quality of the rest of the game, and would you rather play 15 hours of an amazing game or 40 hours of a good game?

#6 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

Show me ANY Action Adventure that EVER was 40 hours without artifically lengthening everything o_O

As already has been mentioned, that's a thing that you'll find in RPG's, but certainly not in Action Adventures

#7 Posted by ABakedAlien (308 posts) -
play on a harder difficulty and see how you do lol I went from easy to hard and its crazy to see the difference ccgod
You played it on easy your first play through? unreal. I played it on hard my first play through and it wasnt even that difficult. I dont even know how it would be fun on easy. And as for the TC, a game like twilight princess was 30 - 40 hours long and i thought that game was to long. The last of us is a decent length.
#8 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Game length has always varied in the past and present.

#9 Posted by Agarwel (25 posts) -

I believe this is not a fair comparison. Not every game it recent days were 40+hours. You could beat many old games in one afternoon. And not all today games are short and 40-h long. I dont believe someone can fully explore TES, Fallout, GTA, FF games in such short time.

You can not pick one short game from this year, that take few long games released between 1980 - 1995 and then say that all old games were longer.

#10 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (601 posts) -

This is the standard length of these types of games these days. It takes them like 3 years to make a game this long, with all the work that goes into it. I don't think a studio could hope to stay afloat longer without the cashflow of getting the game to the market. All that being said though, I like this length. It means I can finish a game in a week playing it casually (a few hours a day), and most games I don't want to play longer than that anyway, even if they're great. The Last of Us is one of the rare exceptions though -- I finished it and immediately started an NG+.

#11 Posted by psycadelix (773 posts) -

This games length was perfect for me. Just over 20 hours to finish. I played on Hard with NO hearing on. Its the only real way to play this game. Take hearing off straight away, it really shouldnt have been available in this game. And stick it on Hard. Am looking forward now to new game plus.

#12 Posted by brandon2802 (1773 posts) -
I would really like Katz to come back with some examples of games that take 40+ hours that aren't RPGs. I feel like I got 60 bucks worth of gameplay and I'm still messing around with online play. I feel like 15 hours is just right for a narrative.
#13 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

I love open-world Action Adventure RPGs I can easily put over 100 hours into playing solo.  If I finish TLoU in 15 hours I will feel I didn't get $60 worth.  Of course with a console game I can at least turn around and sell it used.  Oh well, on with the game...

#14 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (601 posts) -

I was just thinking, if you want a long action-adventure game, Far Cry 3 might be just the ticket for you. It's story-driven, but also open-world. And I'd say it's at least 40+ hours, especially if you get into side quests and exploring. I thought it was the best game of 2012. Give it a shot.

#15 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

I was just thinking, if you want a long action-adventure game, Far Cry 3 might be just the ticket for you. It's story-driven, but also open-world. And I'd say it's at least 40+ hours, especially if you get into side quests and exploring. I thought it was the best game of 2012. Give it a shot.DaRq_MiNoS
I've played FC3 and I agree.  I think I will still like TLoU too.  Thanks.

#16 Posted by biggest_loser (24259 posts) -

Tell me one action-adventure game, not an RPG, from the glory days of gaming that was 40 hours long.

I played the game for 19 hours and was satisfied.  

#17 Posted by murph85 (256 posts) -

Took me 20 hours on my first playthrough and then I was able to cut it down to 16 on my 2nd.

#18 Posted by badlalo59 (901 posts) -

Mine are pretty close to yours. 19 my 1st playthrough (Normal,no listening mode) and 17 my 2nd (Hard, Listening mode off of course). Currently playing Survivor and wow supplies are really scarce.

40hr playthroughs are kinda ridiculous though. Even for a game like TLoU. They didn't need to add to the story. It was perfect IMO.

Now Multiplayer could be where you spend the bulk of your time though...so...maybe you can do 40 there.

#19 Posted by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -

I think from a production standpoint there's a balance you have to make between intense moment-to-moment action which have to be handcrafted and carefully designed and the amount of game time the developers are humanly capable of doing. 

Don't forget this game took 3 years to make with a team of 150 people.  On the other hand a GTA game has a few hundred people(don't know the exact number but it's quite high) and a few years of dev time, will end up with 20-30 hours.

I think another thing is the quality standard games have to maintain to keep up with, like graphics and sound quality.

#20 Posted by dalua360 (698 posts) -

Show me ANY Action Adventure that EVER was 40 hours without artifically lengthening everything o_O

As already has been mentioned, that's a thing that you'll find in RPG's, but certainly not in Action Adventures

Justforvisit

Exactly, RPGs and open world games.... my "time spent" examples:

Skyrim = 300 hours on first playthrough

Dark Souls = 250 hours ( and playing NG+2 )

Just Cause 2 = 140 hours

GTA 4 = lost my count

Deus Ex= 60 hours ( with 2nd playthrough )

Battlefield 3 singleplayer = 4 hours LOL

#21 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

One time through, collecting everything I can and searching and playing out everything I can single player only, I am on target to finishing TLoU in right around 40 hours.  I enjoy the scenery and poking around adventuring every time the game offers a moment--you can smell the dampness walking up the river in the rain to the dam.  I think wildflowers are out of place in Fall though and although the river rushed along its banks the actual water flow around various dam structures needs a lot of graphic design work--very complicated I'm sure to make the river really look real.

#22 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

One time through, collecting everything I can and searching and playing out everything I can single player only, I am on target to finishing TLoU in right around 40 hours.  I enjoy the scenery and poking around adventuring every time the game offers a moment--you can smell the dampness walking up the river in the rain to the dam.  I think wildflowers are out of place in Fall though and although the river rushed along its banks the actual water flow around various the dam structures needs a lot of graphic design work--very complicated I'm sure to make the river really look real.Ratsneve
Forgot to add that the river sounds seemed real too and that was delightful to enjoy.

#23 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (601 posts) -

[Wish GS would let you edit and/or delete your own posts] Forgot to add that the river sounds seemed real too and that was delightful to enjoy.

Ratsneve

You can edit your own posts under the drop down menu on the bottom right.

#24 Posted by Ratsneve (397 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ratsneve"][Wish GS would let you edit and/or delete your own posts] Forgot to add that the river sounds seemed real too and that was delightful to enjoy.DaRq_MiNoS
You can edit your own posts under the drop down menu on the bottom right.

Wish I could have opened my eyes a little wider.

#25 Posted by Lhomity (505 posts) -

40 hour playthroughs was never a common thing. Hell, I grew up paying full price for games that, on average, were over in 40 minutes.

How many hours I get out of a game is FAR LESS important to me, than the quality of the time I get out of a game. I've played a lot of 20-30+hr games that I rarely ever feel like replaying. Replaying a 40 hour game, going through the same drawn-out filler content for another 40 hours, is laborious. I prefer games around the 5-8 hour mark, that are actually fun to replay.

#26 Posted by Asim90 (3692 posts) -

The game actually took me exactly 20 hours and 5 minutes. i spent a lot of time exploring and enjoyed the game at a steady pace. For an action/adventure game in this age, that is an impressive length. Most games can't be stretch beyond 12 hours.

#27 Posted by dfkm (82 posts) -

It took me to 21 hours to beat this game, experiment and explore on hard. Going to play new game + for some trophies with a collectible guide, that's another 20 hours and then survivor. Multiplayer is fun too, so i'm surprised to hear this complaint.