The Last of Us Part 2 REVIEW - A brilliant and engaging masterpiece

User Rating: 10 | The Last of Us Part II PS4

Now before you say anything, there is NO bias in this review, everything said here is bad on my personal thoughts and feelings. The Last of Us was a revolution in storytelling and realistic gameplay back in 2013. But unfortunately, due to limitations, it managed to fall short in key areas. That's where the sequel comes in. The Last of Us Part 2 fixes absolutely everything the original failed to achieve. First let's discuss the elephant in the room. The story. When I personally went into the game, I had already known that Joel was to be killed, but that was all. I didn't know when, how, or why he dies; and for some reason, the game totally surprised me with his death. Just like Arthur Morgan, you can't help but feel like somebody you know and who you were very close to just died. It's a very sad feeling and while many think that Joel's death was unfair and uncalled for, I personally don't have a problem with it. But the story in general is a revenge plot that has so many twists and turns that it manages to feel like a new game every single time. You play as Ellie, as she sets out to take revenge on Abby and her friends, the ones who killed Joel. Halfway through, you play as Abby, and this is where a lot of fan criticism comes in. I can see why, she just killed one of the greatest gaming protagonists of all time and now you have to play as her for the rest of the game. But if it weren't for the amazing writing and voice acting, I would feel the same way. While on the topic of writing, the characters are very, very greatly portrayed and each have a uniqueness to them that most games don't seem to have. All of Ellie's friends are each very loveable and create a lasting impact on the player, even the ones who die. Surprisingly, the same could be said for Abby and her friends, I actually liked them and their personalities. Later through the game, you get to see why exactly Abby killed Joel, and it actually makes you feel bad for her, since Joel killed her dad. One death that shocked me was Manny, Abby's friend. He was sniped my Tommy while being in a shootout and it made me kind of mad that he died, because I was really warming up to him. That was until I realized that he spit on Joel's dead body and that he wasn't exactly a good person, then I just didn't care about his death anymore. I know I've already spoiled a lot, but that's just scratching the surface. To avoid further spoilers, I'm just going to move onto the gameplay. Thankfully, the gameplay manages to be the same as the first game, but with many different and unique changes. Ellie can now go prone, take melee objects out of enemies hands, and shoot while on her back. This may not seem like a lot, but it very greatly improves on the already good, but repetitive fighting and movement systems of the first game. But it's in the animation department where the game just insanely improves upon. There are SO many different types of animations that I feel like I've only seen 1/4 of them throughout my playthrough. The crafting system and upgrade system stays the same, but with more options available. Overall, The Last of Us 2 does so much to improve on the original, that it's hard to go back to the first game because of the sheer variety of things to do in Part 2. And with a multiplayer mode seemingly on the horizon, there's no better time to pick this one up than now. The Last of Us Part 2 achieves a 10/10. Well done, Naughty Dog.