Fantastic Presentation But Story is Lacking

User Rating: 6 | Synergia LNX

Synergia has some of the best overall presentation and atmosphere of any visual novel I have played. Everything from the opening video; to the menus; to the music; to the art are all top notch. It all ties together to just ooze cyberpunk out of every crevice. The story itself isn’t bad but it gets really rushed near the end and the ending just feels abrupt. The romantic relationship between Mara and Cila also feels a little forced and rushed. They go from cold and awkward to saying how they love each other within a matter of days with nothing in between. There is also a ton of story dumped on the reader in the last half hour or so which makes keeping track of new developments and characters an issue only for the game to abruptly end anyway. The endings were another issue of mine. The store page lists “multiple endings” but in truth there are only two. Now two is more than one so they’re not lying exactly but when I see “multiple endings” I expect several different ones. Even worse is that to access the epilogue you need to have completed both endings. My real issue with that is that there is a single epilogue, which means that regardless of which ending you get the epilogue doesn’t change at all. Overall the game just lacks choices and branching. It’s not a kinetic novel but it also isn’t really choice driven. It’s stuck in an uncomfortable no man’s land. I really wished that the game had developed the character “Rat” more as well as had more of Darla.

I played Synergia on Linux. It never crashed and I didn’t notice any spelling errors. You can save whenever you want and there are one hundred forty four save slots. Alt-Tab didn’t work.

Game Engine: Ren’Py 7.3.5.606

Disk Space Used: 868 MB

Game Version Played: 1.01

GPU Usage: 0-43 %

VRAM Usage: 425-741 MB

CPU Usage: 1-5 %

RAM Usage: 2.2-2.8 GB

Synergia isn’t a bad game, in fact it was very close to being a great game, but the story sinks it near the end to where it is hard to recommend it. There are worse visual novels out there but also better ones. It’s a shame because aside from the story the game has so much going for it. I finished my first play through in three hours and nine minutes and I paid $13.49 CAD for it. That isn’t terrible value but also not fantastic. I think sub $10 is a better price range for it.

My Score: 6.5/10

My System:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 | MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 22.1.1 | Garuda Soaring White-tailed-eagle | Mate 1.26.0 | Kernel 5.18.1-zen1-1-zen