Finally: an real time strategy game that requires strategic thinking!

User Rating: 8 | Supreme Commander PC
If you want to react, not think, this is not a game for you. If you believe that RTS is about memorizing build orders and clicking quickly and accurately, this is not a game for you. It's just a matter of preference, no point fighting over it, and I was brought up on Warcraft and C&C - I understand where you're coming from. I disagree though.

Supreme Commander can be best described as a remake of Total Annihilation, which was awesome, with a new strategic zoom function, which is also awesome: For once you have room to manoeuvre rather than inexplicably having your base 10 meters from your enemy's. For once you build artillery batteries, air bases, missile silos and infrastructure rather than it all being implied or off-map. For once YOU'RE the man, the be all and the end all, and you can do it your way. Oh, and aircraft move like aircraft. It's a great game.

Of course, I don't want to be a TA fan boy here, so I'll point out a few flaws from an objective point of view: this game will rape your computer more or less no matter what you have (patches help a suprising amount though) and, while it may have great strategic depth, everything about it seems somewhat sterile and without personality: it's all substance and no flash. What's more, the AI isn't smart enough for the game, making the campaign quite easy and single player skirmishes even more so.