Most innovative shooter I've played in years? Probably, yeah.

User Rating: 8 | SUPERHOT NS

This'll probably be a pretty short review, I'd like to think. I previously reviewed "SUPERHOT VR," which I found to be among the gold standard of VR games, and easily one of my favorites of the numerous VR games I've played. It wasn't until doing research for that review that I learned "SUPERHOT" was previously a non-VR game before it was released for VR devices. Thus, morbid curiosity got to me and I wanted to try the non-VR version of the game to see if it was as good (or even better) than its VR counterpart. Much of what I could say about this version, I've already said about the VR version, but even though I still prefer it in VR, "SUPERHOT" is an enjoyable game no matter how you play it.

Just like I said before about the VR version, "SUPERHOT" has an interesting concept, in that the world moves as you do. This concept plays well even with a regular controller, and it's definitely a fresh take on the FPS genre. I still enjoy how the story sprinkles in very interesting, subtle bits of social commentary on our reliance on and obsession with technology, and being that this version is a tiny bit longer than the VR version, the story feels a bit more expansive. There are a few interesting touches to it that are well crafted and well written, and as unconventional as it is, it's all the better for it. Visually, I know some people aren't crazy about the game, but I actually quite like it: as I mentioned before, the minimalist approach shines through in its landscapes and overall design, and it's a constant reminder that there's beauty in simplicity.

Naturally, I still tend to have a bit more fun with the VR version, simply because I think being in VR is a perfect playground for this type of game, but using a controller doesn't exactly detract from my enjoyment of the game. What does, though, is how short the game is: it won't take you more than a few hours to beat at most, and the game doesn't have the most variety to it, which can cause it to feel a bit rote after a while. I also had a few minor frustrations with some of the aiming in the game (although, full discourse, that could've just been me not aiming well enough), and even though it's a minor thing, I found it weird that this is a game where, despite some of the crazy powers that my character obtains in the game, they cannot crouch. For a game whose goal is to have you stop, think, and take a more defensive approach, it would've been nice to have a crouch button.

Even so, VR or not, "SUPERHOT" is really a fascinating and enjoyable experience that I highly recommend. I know some people don't own a VR (or perhaps, can't afford one), so getting to play it in VR isn't really an option, but while I think the VR version is the superior choice, the base game itself is a great experience as well. For all my times nearly ripping my hair out over the game's more difficult levels, I still enjoyed myself, and yeah, even without VR, I would still say "it's the most innovative shooter I've played in years." Give it a look if you haven't already.

Final rating: 8 out of 10 "Great"