A wonderfully fun and New take on the Mario world

User Rating: 7 | Super Mario Odyssey NS

As one of the first major titles for the Nintendo Switch and being one of the most iconic video game series, there were high hopes for what the newest Mario game would be and Super Mario Odyssey definitely met expectations and then some.

Also before i get any flack for this review i would like to mention that i consider an average game to be a 6/10.

Story: 7/10

The story is nothing more than the classic Bowser kidnaps Princess peach story only this time there is a wedding theme and each level focusing around getting an item for Bowser’s forced wedding (which none of his lackeys seem to have a problem with. Hell, he kidnaps her so much maybe he’s just doing it for the tax write off at this point). It’s a fun story but it’s nothing you haven’t heard before.

Score: 8/10

The music here is fun and fitting for each level. Also the big song, ‘Jump up, super star’ is very fun and provides a light atmosphere to the game

Characters/Character Development: 7 /10

Classic Mario characters fill this game as they often do, but some of the newest characters like the broodals are absolutely terrible and annoying. Some new races of characters in different kingdoms are cool, but none are really that memorable

Graphics: 9.5/10

Nintendo does an amazing job of keeping everything visually impressive throughout the game. Mario looks smooth and more defined than ever and each world brings its own beauty to the scene.

Gameplay: 9/10

New aspects to the game, such as using your hat to attack and to take over monsters are a great addition to the game and allows for some very unique puzzle solving. However, most of the puzzles are fairly easy to solve and while I understand this is a game for all ages, it would have been nicer to see something more challenging. There are ‘hint art’ puzzles, which can get you thinking but I find these puzzles to be more based on memory of where you’ve been rather than using any puzzle solving skills.

Difficulty: 3 /10 (0 being the easiest, 10 being the hardest)

This game is of course designed for all ages to play, so the game itself is fairly easy. That being said a few of the bosses will give you a run for your money. But still, I would have loved something like a harder mode to play on.

Fun: 7/10

This game provides a fun play through with many innovative ideas which make this Mario game very exciting, but there is a lot of content available after the game is beaten which is a nice for some, but I find this kind of content to be lackluster and difficult to complete when you have no larger objective. Also the game is rather short which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I would have liked to spend more time and been able to see a few more kingdoms, which I thought were very fun.

Recommended for-