Fun but flawed

User Rating: 7 | State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition (Day One Edition) XONE

Audio:
Nothing really stands out in this category. The voice acting cast was solid but thanks to repetitive dialogue, They aren't given much to work with.

Visuals:
Many noticeable frame rate issues and minor bugs. Frame rate issues are more prominent as the game goes on, If a lot of things happen on screen the game seems to slow down to a stand still. Aside from that, The game looks good.

Game Play:
Very similar to Dead Rising but without the over the top weapon modding.

Other:
Perma-death makes things fresh and fun, Also it's cool that the world keeps running even with your console shut off. It's a ton of fun to play, I have no issues sitting down and playing it for 2-3 hours at a time. It's slow to start out but once you start getting resources and recruiting survivors, The game becomes quite fun to play. It's a rather large open world. Not much focus on the story, Even though there's a ton of potential for character depth and exploration. There's also a lot of potential for base building and modding. I feel that outposts are such a waste and don't really do anything in-game, It could be turned into a small base in case your main one builds up, You could send 2-3 survivors to an outpost to fortify and help keep an area secure.

Overall: 7/10
The frame rate issues and bugs take the game down a point for me, If not for that then it would be an easy 8. Everything I addressed could be fixed in the sequel. Regardless of what I say, It's a fun game. If you love Dead Rising, You'll love this.