Dollar for dollar biggest MMO flop of all time?

#1 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

This was the most expensive MMO of all time at over $200 million tossed into development hell. The game launched in a wounded state, unfinished, broken, non-existant customer service etc. The game didn't even have (or deserve IMO) a honeymoon period. It launched and immediately began to hemorrhage subscriptions and never recovered.

How much went into D3? Blizzard made it (and treat it) like an MMO. It has no subscription though.

TOR has to go on losing players and revenue and reputation while they frantically try to get the F2P / P2W model set up. Meanwhile GW2 and the rest are coming out.

Gotta be one of the biggest flat out MMO financial boondogles of all time.

#2 Posted by Kane04 (2115 posts) -
Pretty sure I read somewhere they covered costs already. Now a days with every game needing a patch not hard to see why people would rather wait than turn up in their millions. I for one have my subscripition expired since April, so I'm contributing for the drop outs statistic, but I'll definitely go back later on this year. Can imagine myself being the only person deciding to sit it for a while. Not sure why all this hate, sure they looked over the competition shoulders but it's not like they are running their servers with sliced dolphins.
#3 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

As someone pointed out already SWTOR already turned a profit.  I already covered this with you in the other thread providing sources for all of my claims.  Its been weeks, why are you still trolling the forums of a game you don't even play?  Your life really so sad and empty you have nothing better to do than pick fights on the internet?  You've been informed already, continuing to perpetuate your misinformation is willfully lying at this point.  

#4 Posted by white_wolf233 (482 posts) -
I haven't logged on to GS in forever, however this pushed me too it. The online community these days makes me sick, people have this misconception that blatant ignorance is somehow cool. I remember when online gaming and forums actually involved intelligent discussions; even if it was off topic and immature people weren't flaming and "trolling" at such an alarming rate. The only troll that was ever worth a damn was the person who hacked YouTube so that any video clicked on redirected you to Rick Astley's-never gonna give you up. That person did something in good fun giving thousands of people good laughs, not a huge headache. I recommend ignoring them they will not go away if you keep fueling their fire.
#5 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

I haven't logged on to GS in forever, however this pushed me too it. The online community these days makes me sick, people have this misconception that blatant ignorance is somehow cool. I remember when online gaming and forums actually involved intelligent discussions; even if it was off topic and immature people weren't flaming and "trolling" at such an alarming rate. The only troll that was ever worth a damn was the person who hacked YouTube so that any video clicked on redirected you to Rick Astley's-never gonna give you up. That person did something in good fun giving thousands of people good laughs, not a huge headache. I recommend ignoring them they will not go away if you keep fueling their fire. white_wolf233

This is normally the case except the GameSpot community has been affected by the GameFAQs community and as a result trolls outnumber legitimate posters by at least 2 to 1.  Its only when people step up and say "this is our community, if you want to troll take it to GameFAQs" that things will start to get better around here.  The trolls are fueling each others fires right now.

#6 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

It's simply awful the torture you two go through to log into these boards. Trolls! Oh the trolls! You poor fans on the cross fighting against the tide of trolls! The drama! Makes you sick! makes you log in after a long absense to wag your finger on the forums.

Of course neither of you has any intention of contributing to the thread, you just posted to..let's see, disrupt and provoke flames.

Everyone else calmly discussing in the thread are the trolls though. "Feeding" off each other. Right.

Of course the real satisfaction is the game is going F2P/P2W as was obvious from the start, which, as I'm sure, both of you used to say was trolling, amirite?

#8 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Its a shame you have come to this thread to start arguments and when called on it explode into an insult-laden tirade. What poor form:|

I suppose its what we've all come to expect from you on this board though.

Good 'ol Mego!

#9 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Its a shame you have come to this thread to start arguments and when called on it explode into an insult-laden tirade. What poor form:|

Good 'ol Mego!

vishisluv7

Case in point: a strawman and an ad hom. I asked you a very simple question point blank: providing your source, when is the game going free to play?  Instead you responded with another useless post to continue a useless argument.  You are a troll and you just proved you're a troll.

#10 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

[QUOTE="vishisluv7"]

Good 'ol Mego!

Megotaku77

Case in point: a strawman and an ad hom. I asked you a very simple question point blank: providing your source, when is the game going free to play?  Instead you responded with another useless post to continue a useless argument.  You are a troll and you just proved you're a troll.

I'm such a troll I haven't once insulted you in all the times you have ranted, insulted, flamed, and basically cried when your ridiculous obsession with proving the impossible is laughed off. Yes, yes, everyone else is wrong,

You just keep quoting me to call me names and rant about your imaginary proof of everything you say. Then call me a troll.

Why, you even given up your original cause in order to flame me full time, lol.

I guess it's lonely in game.

#11 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

[QUOTE="Megotaku77"]

[QUOTE="vishisluv7"]

Good 'ol Mego!

vishisluv7

Case in point: a strawman and an ad hom. I asked you a very simple question point blank: providing your source, when is the game going free to play? Instead you responded with another useless post to continue a useless argument. You are a troll and you just proved you're a troll.

I'm such a troll I haven't once insulted you in all the times you have ranted, insulted, flamed, and basically cried when your ridiculous obsession with proving the impossible is laughed off. Yes, yes, everyone else is wrong,

You just keep quoting me to call me names and rant about your imaginary proof of everything you say. Then call me a troll.

Why, you even given up your original cause in order to flame me full time, lol.

I guess it's lonely in game.

So are you unable or unwilling to answer my point blank question? Unable because you're a troll. Yup, misrepresenting my positions and spreading information you know for a fact is wrong is totally not trolling. You're just a poor innocent verifiably proven liar with the big bully on the internet calling you when you intentionally lie to people.

#12 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

There you go again. You are hostile, delusional, and becoming more unstable with each of your diatribes.

You know the facts but refuse to admit them in the face of overwhelming evidence on every level from the circumstantial to the empirical.

You've become a bit of a laugh here. I bet you'd argue the sky was not in fact blue just because everyone who looks up sees the color blue. I really don't know how anything productive can come from engaging with you anymore, you're crazy man, haha.

Good 'ol Mego!

#13 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

You know the facts but refuse to admit them in the face of overwhelming evidence on every level from the circumstantial to the empirical.

vishisluv7

I'm going to ignore your transparent trolling and focus on this statement. I have provided both circumstantial AND empirical evidence from analyst opinion pieces to hard compiled data over a decade. You haven't provided a single source for ANY claim you've made. circumstantial or empirical. Its put up or shut up time: source out your claim that SWTOR is a failure AND that SWTOR is going F2P. If you cannot do this then this conversation is over. Its clear you're just a mouthy, lying troll exactly as I've claimed you are from the very beginning citing source after source that you have ignored because it conflicts with your confirmation bias. Put up or shut up.

#14 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

The conversation ended, or rather, you conceded the minute you were unable to be civil nor to even remotely back up your empty servers = success! shall we say "eccentric" assertion.

Please feel free to stop following me around flailing and sputtering, it's embarrassing to watch. Enjoy your F2P, 3rd rate, never-was-been MMO.:cool:

#16 Posted by Connor24 (137 posts) -

SWTOR is fine. It's not flopping. This fighting is for nothing. The game will continue. I play on the Jung Ma server and it's always full of people. People who are going to stick around. The game runs great now, and customer service always helps me out when I have needed it. 

But wow guys stop fighting. I remember when the gamespot forums use to be so chill. 

#17 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

But wow guys stop fighting. I remember when the gamespot forums use to be so chill.

Connor24

The GameFAQs community grew which is nothing but trolls. Vish is a GameFAQs troll that posts here while hiding behind a private profile. I'm simply sending him the message that intentionally lying and spreading misinformation isn't welcome on these forums.

#18 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

Nah, you've been trying to troll me into insulting you right back so you can report. I've been around to know when crazy is doing their best to bait. You sure have free reign to throw out the insults at will around here. No wonder you spend so much time here attacking obsessively rather than play your lonely game (you know, the world's biggest dollar for dollar MMO flop of all time).

#19 Posted by Megotaku77 (418 posts) -

Nah, you've been trying to troll me into insulting you right back so you can report. I've been around to know when crazy is doing their best to bait. You sure have free reign to throw out the insults at will around here. No wonder you spend so much time here attacking obsessively rather than play your lonely game (you know, the world's biggest dollar for dollar MMO flop of all time).

vishisluv7

Here's another simple question you're going to ignore like my request for you to cite your baseless assertions: when was the last time you played SWTOR and what level is your character?

#20 Posted by Connor24 (137 posts) -

It takes two to tango. Megaotaku, picking apart stuff(although being very intelligent from what I've read), analyzing the rhetoric and explaining the situation, just fuels the fire and keeps a stupid situation like this moving. Best to just move on and stop replying. It's like two people saying back and forth "NO YOU SHUT UP". Vish the game is fine. You should also just chill the heck out. The game is fine. This is the same **** everyone says about every MMO. "LOLOL LOSING SUBS BIGGEST FLOP ITS A FLOP RITE? AM I RITE THIS GAME SUXXXXX"

#21 Posted by nord1c (107 posts) -

And now EA CEO Ricitello is wondering why noone wants to buy their stocks and fears for his job: http://www.develop-online.net/news/41363/Pachter-EAs-Riccitiello-fears-for-his-job

A true conundrum, isn't it?:twisted:

#22 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

It takes two to tango. Megaotaku, picking apart stuff(although being very intelligent from what I've read), analyzing the rhetoric and explaining the situation, just fuels the fire and keeps a stupid situation like this moving. Best to just move on and stop replying. It's like two people saying back and forth "NO YOU SHUT UP". Vish the game is fine. You should also just chill the heck out. The game is fine. This is the same **** everyone says about every MMO. "LOLOL LOSING SUBS BIGGEST FLOP ITS A FLOP RITE? AM I RITE THIS GAME SUXXXXX"

Connor24

Thanks, but I'll post as I please within the forum's rules. I'll also continue to form my own opinions rather than be bullied and harassed by Rosemarie's baby there, or told to sit down and be quiet by you.

I suggest you move on yourself.

#23 Posted by Connor24 (137 posts) -
Uhh no I didn't tell you to stop talking or "sit down and be quiet". Just a suggestion to stop having stupid fights for no reason. You can discuss your opinions without being hostile.