Has the dubious honor of being possibly the worst game I've played

User Rating: 2 | Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly GC

I got this game as a gift from my parents who, bless them, never really had much luck in choosing games (Banjo-Kazooie being the exception). In that sense, the only thing exceptional about this game is how exceptionally bad it was.

The story is absolutely paper-thin and presented terribly. It makes absolutely no attempt to introduce any of the characters or situations. As seen in the first cinematic, the bad guy comes and scatters the dragonflies before retreating, so it's up to Spyro to help get them back! Who is the bad guy? What is his motivation? Why are the dragonflies important? Who cares?! The game certainly doesn't care enough to explain. As a kid, not knowing much about Spyro beforehand, I was completely lost. Throughout most of the game I had no idea as to why I was doing what I was doing.

That wasn't helped by the game design. Because I had played other collect-a-thons like the aforementioned Banjo-Kazooie, I knew the basic mechanics of a game like Enter the Dragonfly. However, the game does such a poor job of orienting you on where to go that throughout most of it you just feel lost. I just kind of stumbled around until I found the right way to go. The game has several levels connected by an overworld hub (like a classic collect-a-thon), but the level design is so awful that all of these areas feel like a maze. They're so bland and repetitive too that everything looks the same, which just adds to the confusion.

Visually, the game is laughable. As mentioned, the game looks absolutely bland and cookie-cutter, without any sort of unique aesthetic to call its own. The world is colorful enough and it’s not terrible, just completely forgettable. The animations, on the other hand, really are terrible. It’s actually quite funny to see the characters wave their heads around, mouths flapping, eyes bulging and each out of sync with the rest.

The music I remember being quite strange and oddly clown-ish, like the kind of music you might hear at a circus in a cartoon. It’s definitely strange. The voice acting actually isn’t bad, if not great. It sounds a bit like the voice acting for a Saturday morning cartoon.

Overall, I wouldn’t recommend this game to anyone. It’s not even so-bad-it’s-good kind of quality; it’s just bad. You’ll get more enjoyment out of this game if you just look up clips of the horrible animation online.