A must-buy for any silent hill fan without a doubt

User Rating: 8 | Silent Hill: Origins PS2
I'm a massive fan of the Silent Hill series, and I've played and completed SH 1-4, and I've just played and completed SH Origins, and I think it is a great game. It's not the best game in the series, but it is still a great Silent Hill game and if you are a fan of the series then you really should be getting this one too. There's nothing new, it's just the same old SH with a different character in a different setting. But that didn't bother me, it's still scary and freaky as hell!

One negative is the graphical clipping. You can kill a monster and it might fall to the floor half way through a wall or a door. This not only looks bad, but if you are trying deliver a death blow and you are next to a door, sometimes you can accidentally go through the door into another room. The other main negative is the combat. Travis (the main character) swings wildly at the monsters with his melee weapons, and if you time it wrong then you can get caught out. Having said that, how good would a trucker be at hitting a monster across the head with a typewriter? And you do have firearms as backup anyway. Also the game is fairly short, but if you're not paying full price for it anyway then it doesn't matter.

The game also has the same save system as the other games, where you find save points every now and then. This coupled with the awkward melee weapon combat means that there is a lot of tension in the game, which is exactly how it should be. There were some sessions where I hadn't been able to save for a about an hour, so I had started to get worried and use firearms, desperately wanting to make it to the next save point alive.

One thing to note in this game is that the monsters often respawn in open areas. So don't bother killing monsters outside, but do explore a lot while running.

So there ya go. Silent Hill Origins is by no means brilliant, but it is very much worth getting and playing, and I can't wait for Homecoming, and hopefully lots more sequels!