Screw this game...

User Rating: 1 | Shining Force II GEN

Apparently people like this one even more so than the first, and again, that's fine if they do, but not me. This one is even worse in my eyes.

After giving the first game a rest after it ticked me off to no end, I thought I'd try the second one just to see if it was any better. But as I wrote above, it's even worse! Oh sure, it improved SOME of the broken RPG mechanics, but wouldn't you know it? The ones they didn't fix are even more infuriating.

Need an example? The fact it handicaps you even more so AT THE START OF THE FREAKIN GAME! In the first game, you got up to six characters at the start and even a seventh if you take a small detour when dealing with your first battle. This one?! Pfft... let's only give you three and make the very first battle tense by making it so you could die easily.

Wow... these programmers didn't learn anything, did they? Nope. In the second, you deal with some enemies that can get two turns in a row and rape your ass before you even get a chance to heal or retreat.

I have no words. Just when I thought they MIGHT cut the player a break and MAYBE make it a little easier on you at the start, they decide to have this terrible RPG rear its ugly head and have enemies squash you like a bug from the get go.

I'll never understand how anyone can like Shining Force. As I mentioned in my review of the first one, this game is massively unbalanced and ridiculously frustrating. And while some of those problems were fixed, they still didn't fix the worst offender all: GIVING YOUR MAIN CHARACTER A FREAKIN CHANCE TO SURVIVE WHEN GANGED UPON!

Seriously, did no one complain about how brutally difficult it can be when the A.I decides to rape you from all sides? Maybe they did and the programmers didn't care.

Whatever... I'm not going there again. I know this game was back in 1994 when games were alot harder than today, but like I said, it's not a fair challenge. It's a challenge than would mostly appeal to masochists.

Which is why I rated this game a 1 out of 10, because it's the same crap all over again. They didn't improve on this game like they should have. It's just a "more polished" sequel. Emphasis heavy on POLISHED.

You're all free to like this game all you want, but as I said, I hate Shining Force and everything it stands for. It's not a good RPG game and it never will be in my eyes. I'd sooner play the worst of the Final Fantasy games than any of these. That's how much I despise this RPG series.

Shining Force, burn in hell.

7 Comments  RefreshSorted By
GameSpot has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to toxic conduct in comments. Any abusive, racist, sexist, threatening, bullying, vulgar, and otherwise objectionable behavior will result in moderation and/or account termination. Please keep your discussion civil.

Avatar image for knight0fdragon
Knight0fDragon

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I think your problem comes down to just playing this game wrong.

You are treating it as if it was Warhammer where your general is over powered.

You should be treating it as Chess where your King needs constant protection while you attack.

Edited By LaserX5

@knight0fdragon:

I'm not saying I don't agree with you on the chess part. I agree it's like chess in a sense. That's not my problem with it. My problem with it is the BS RNG battle system and massively unbalanced turn structure.

Seriously, how is it fair the enemy A.I can hit you twice more times than you can hit them twice per attack? How is it fair they can get two moves before your character gets one? How is it fair the enemy generals can regenerate health every turn, but yours cannot? You see what I'm getting at here? THIS is why I hate this game. The enemy army and your army plays under two different set of rules. This is not even close to a fair fight. The battles are rigged in their favor.

Not to mention this game forces you to use your main character in battles because that's the only way he can get strong enough to withstand stronger foes later on. I tried just mainly protecting him and he was toast once the defenses broke.

If this game played exactly like chess is played in a sense, I'd learn to adapt and not hate it as much. But that's just it, it doesn't. It plays like a random slot machine more than anything whether or not you win or lose.

Avatar image for knight0fdragon
Knight0fDragon

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@laserx5: what game are you playing lol. That kind of off balance is very rare. Pretty sure only some bosses get double turns, and your guys will have double attacks too. Your advantage comes down to various weapons and items, plus you can level up. There are items like life ring (japan only due to no search in battle) and other holy weapons that continuously heals you. The RNG really plays very little into actual play. It is not like you are getting whacked at a range of 0 ~ 100 hp lol. Last thing I would call it is a slot machine. Are you using things like land effect to your advantage? Weapon weakness? When was the first time you played this game? Remember, this is a Genesis game. Handholding explanation wasn’t a thing back then, so you had to read the manual to understand the game mechanics. Perhaps that is why you seem to think it is RNG that is hurting your play through. If you need something maybe a little easier to get used to the mechanics, give part 3 a try.

@knight0fdragon:

When I mentioned the BS RNG, I was referring to the critical hits and double attacks more than anything. The enemy seems to get them alot more than my army does. And I said, an enemy character was able to get two turns before my character got one. Not consecutively, no, but I saw it with my own eyes. And it wasn't one of the stronger enemies, mind you. It was one of the minor rat enemies from the second fight. He killed my main character in two attacks before I even got a chance to heal, run away, etc. So yea... that was just lovely. <_<

No, I was not aware of these rings healing because I quit the game right after this because I figured if this is what the game was going to throw at me this early in the game, I don't even want to know what cheap tactics it was going to throw at me later. Also, after looking it up, those healing stat boosters are really pathetic. I mean, 2 HP per round? That's it? And it's only for your wizards too. So yea, that's really fair when the enemy generals can heal 10 or more per round on top of being to hit you like an 18 wheeler going 100 MPH. I know you mentioned a life ring, but I don't count it because as you said, it's Japan only, so it's not in this version of the game.

Ok, I admit I know very little about land effect and weapon weakness because the game barely even mentioned it as a strategy move. You weren't kidding the game didn't hold your hand. Not that I want it to, but seriously, for a game this hard, they should have given you more tools on how to deal with the difficulty spike because they throw you in the deep end and then expect you to swim with no life raft and a bunch of hungry sharks around waiting to devour you if you make one wrong move. Yea, thanks game.

When mentioning Part 3, are you referring to the 3rd game of the series or something else entirely?

Avatar image for kickinlikesally
kickinlikesally

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I've beaten Shining Force 1 & 2 numerous times and I never thought it was particularly difficult until you get really far in the game (after you board the phoenix-looking airplane thing). It might be a little more difficult than the first one, but I like the challenge.

@kickinlikesally:

It's fine if you like these games. As I said in my reviews of it, people are free to like it if they want. I'm not their judge.

I'm just saying on a personal level, I HATE these games with a fervent passion. You might argue I'm not good at them, and perhaps that is true, but I just cannot how stand how broken the RPG mechanics and leveling up system is. I never once felt like I was in complete control of my my army when battling enemies. More than anything, I felt I won by sheer luck more than skill. Well, in the first game anyway.

But yea, to me, a good RPG IMHO gives you all the tools you need to succeed and leaves it up to you to utilize them to the max. This game to me did not do that for me. That's why I grew to hate it.

Avatar image for kickinlikesally
kickinlikesally

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@laserx5: Fair points. And honestly, nostalgia clouds my judgment a little, but I do still go back and play it once in a while on my Sega classics disc for PS3.