If you have a 3DS, and love a bit of silly fun, Senran Kagura 2 is one of the best games you'll ever find.

User Rating: 10 | Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (Double D Edition) 3DS

I love this game. This has to be one of the best action games I've ever played. If you have a 3DS, I'd have no problems with telling you that this is one of the best games on the system.

First off, I feel like I should start with a warning of sorts. The Senran Kagura series is known for sexualized content, so if that's a turn-off for you, I'm not sure I'll be able to change your mind. Even so, I would like for you to read this review all the way through to the end and then come to a decision afterwards on whether the game interests you, because there's so much more to it than raunchiness.

The game's premise is simple. Female ninjas-in-training battle against wave after wave of enemies leading up to an eventual confrontation with the boss of each stage. Combat is frantic and fast-paced, requiring the player to keep on their toes and not lower their guard if they hope to make it through the enemy onslaught. On the higher difficulty levels, enemies can prove to be very brutal, and a mistake can be costly. Even with this, the game never really feels unfair and always proves quite rewarding. As characters take damage, their outfit starts to fall apart, which lowers their defense, resulting in more damage from enemy attacks. Some stages have two player characters, and you switch control between them at will, and revive the other if they fall in battle. What this basically means is that you generally want to be careful and take as few hits as possible.

One of the greatest aspects of the game is the story and characters. The relatively short campaign features a plot that touches on positive moral themes such as the strength of bonds, the gray areas between good and evil, and being able to overcome hardship. These themes are incorporated in an amazing way that is seldom seen in most game series and is complimented by a colorful, quirky, and downright lovable cast of characters, with scenarios focusing just as much on the individual characters themselves as the overarching storyline that brings them together.

The boss fights are nothing short of exciting and often leave you wondering who or what you'll be up against next. The designs for the more monstrous bosses emit an eerie, almost intimidating aura with a few tricks up their sleeve that make those encounters challenging and interesting.

The game also features an online co-op mode where you can tackle the campaign missions with a friend for a bit of added fun.

If you're still left wanting more after finishing the campaign, there are a few DLC scenarios available to further the adventures with Asuka, Homura, and all of their friends, and they feature some fairly amusing, more comedic antics for a bit of relaxation after the darker main story.

Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson is an amazing game with lots of fun to be had that never seems to get dull. For fast action and colorful characterization, it's one of the best games you could ever hope to find.