Red Dead Redemption 2 has a beautiful world and a stunning game

User Rating: 9 | Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4

I had never played Red Dead Redemption (1) but I had heard so many good things about it that when Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced I couldn’t help but be excited for it. The commercials for the game looked like something I would enjoy and knowing that Rockstar was the company making the game, I knew it wouldn’t disappoint.

Story: 9.5/10

Red Dead Redemption’s story has an excellent sense of pacing. It also does a great job of starting. The game begins with Arthur’s gang on the run from the authorities after pulling a heist in the town of Blackwater, and even though you never play through this event, the game does a great job of making it feel like you did and as the game goes on, the story guarantees you will be seeing this game through to the end.

Score: 9.5/10

The songs in this game really capture the feeling of the Wild West. The tracks with lyrics are deep and meaningful and stick with you even after playing. I’ve found myself looking up the songs to listen to again.

Characters/Character Development: 10/10

The characters in the Van Der Linde gang all feel so very real. As you play as Arthur Morgan you grow close to so many of the characters. While you spend most of your time with characters like Dutch and Sadie, more minor characters like Miss Grimshaw and Mr. Pearson make your group feel like a real community rather than just a bunch of bloodthirsty outlaws. Arthur himself grows as a person throughout the game, which is wonderful to watch, feel and experience.

Graphics: 10/10

The open world that Rockstar has created looks absolutely stunning. Riding around on your horse through a vast open terrain and looking around creates a true feel of being there in that time.

Gameplay: 10/10

The game does such an amazing job of making you feel like you are really a part of the era. One of the most interesting things about the game is how you must eat, bath, shave, maintain your weapons and provide money to your gang. It’s also how you go about doing these that affect your gameplay. I also love how doing things like riding alongside someone and learning about their character on your way to complete a mission. Overall, the gameplay gives you such wonderful freedom to play the way you want to play.

Difficulty: 4.5/10 (0 being the easiest, 10 being the hardest)

The game provides enough of a challenge to keep you engaged and make you feel the pressure of a shootout at times when the enemies will do things like rush toward you. Other than that no mission is so difficult that it takes more than 2 or 3 tries to complete.

Fun: 8/10

While Red Dead Redemption is a fantastic experience, it takes a while to get the ball rolling. Toward the beginning of the game I felt very lost and had no idea of where to go. There were missions I could do, but I was unsure of what missions were simple side quests and what missions actually moved the story along. Also toward the second half of the game, I really stopped caring about doing anything other than progressing the story along. I’m not sure if this because I enjoyed the story so much or if I had just seen pretty much everything I had wanted to see.

Recommended for-