Puzzle game with a twist.

User Rating: 8.5 | Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords DS
I'm not a big fan of consol puzzle games but I really like RPGs so I decided to give this one a go. Puzzle Quest combines two simple elements of connecting three or more jewels in a row and a classic themed fantasy adventure and produces something that is fun and will keep you entertained for endless hours.

Although the story is not the most spectacular on this platform it is enough to serve it purpose. There are a few laughs, plot twists and a variety of characters that you will meet (if you get them to join you they will also give you boosts or other advantages during battle). As far as I can tell the story is pretty linear but decisions you make will affect who will join or stay with you and there is also a final choice you will have to make near the end which was a nice change.

When you start your game you will have a choice of which character class and gender you wish to play. You also pick a name and there is a choice of difficulty settings. As you travel around the board you will fight monsters, take quests, discover new areas and siege other cities if you so choose. Cities you acquire as well as your home city will give you gold and there are various buildings that once unlocked bring new dimensions to the game play (e.g. mounts, spell leaning, etc).

During battles you have a choice of connecting puzzle pieces such as skulls or using spells / attacks (depending on your class). Having characters in your team may give to boosts against your enemy and capturing creatures will open up new options too. Winning is a little down to chance but mainly strategy; you don't want to let your opponent line up skulls or get the colour orbs they need to unleash an attack.

The graphics are up to scratch and are pretty enough to be enjoyed. Music is worth listening to for a while though there's not very many tunes available.
Outside of the main game you can choose an enemy and level to practice your skills against which is great if you only can play for a short while. Saving is also very easy and outside of battle you can do it as frequently as you like.

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy it. Price wise it seems to be a little cheaper than others on this consol too. Its simple to pick up but with so much to keep you coming back for this is a game that is worthwhile adding to any DS owners collection.